Normal free but low total. Doctor recommends TRT.

Buy Lab Tests Online

sharethispage

Background: 25 year old male, 5'10'', 190lbs, body fat 18% or so (eye test), reasonably active (lift weights 4-5 times per week), sleep is decent (7-8hrs of sleep fairly consistently).

I have done two sets of bloodwork (both early in the day) spaced about 5 months apart. Relevant numbers:
  • Total test: 324->343 ng/dl.
  • Free test: 18->18.5
  • FSH: 2.7->3.4
  • LH: 2.5->5.6
  • SHBG: 15->15.4
Any comments on how this looks? My doctor suggests TRT based on the increased FSH and LH but low total T. Given that my free T is normal, though, would these numbers merit TRT?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

• Total test: 324->343 ng/dl.
  • Free test: 18->18.5
  • FSH: 2.7->3.4
  • LH: 2.5->5.6
  • SHBG: 15->15.4
Any comments on how this looks? My doctor suggests TRT based on the increased FSH and LH but low total T.

What are the reference ranges for the Free T and what testing method was used to measure the Free T?

The direct immunoassay is inaccurate and shouldn't be relied upon for accuracy, the equilibrium dialysis is more accurate.

I haven't seen you mention a single symptom of low testosterone.

Given that my free T is normal, though, would these numbers merit TRT?

Unfortunately, no consensus has been reached regarding the lower TT threshold defining TD, and there are no generally accepted lower limits of normal TT [60]. This lack of consensus follows from the fact that no studies have shown a clear threshold for TT or free T that distinguishes men who will respond to treatment from those who will not.

Meanwhile the number of CAG (cytosine–adenine–guanine triplet) repeats in androgen receptor differs in men and influences the androgen receptor activity [61–64] (Figure 1). Hence testosterone sensitivity may vary in different individuals.

Testosterone Week: What's a "Normal" Testosterone Level and How to Measure Your T

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching