Low Free T? Help! New here

Buy Lab Tests Online

SuperDad

I am 49 years old.
6' - 190 lbs.
Lean and lift weights seriously 6 days a week.
I had mentioned to my Doctor at my yearly physical that my workout recovery is getting longer and I am sore more often.
I also mentioned my motivation levels to get to gym have been a little lower lately.
Everything else: sleep, sex drive, erections Are all fine.
She told me she would do a Testosterone test.
My Total Testosterone was 653 ng/dl (Range 300 to 890) Arup Lab
That seemed good.
My Free Testosterone was 71.5 pg/ml (Range 47.0 to 244)

Kinda freaked out seeing that Free Testosterone level on the lower side of the reference range.

Do I have anything to be concerned about??

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
I am 49 years old.
6' - 190 lbs.
I had mentioned to my Doctor at my yearly physical that my workout recovery is getting longer and I am sore more often.

I also mentioned my motivation levels to get to gym have been a little lower lately.

That seemed good.

Kinda freaked out seeing that Free Testosterone level on the lower side of the reference range.

When was blood drawn?

Unfortunately, your FT was most likely not tested using an accurate assay.

The only way to know where your FT level truly sits is to have it tested using the most accurate assays such as the gold standard Equilibrium Dialysis or Ultrafiltration (next best).

Although your TT is robust 653 ng/dL it will come down to where your SHBG sits as this will have a significant impact on your free testosterone.

Men can have highish/high TT levels but lowish/low FT levels if SHBG is high.

Testing should be done in a fasted state between 7-10 am as we want to test at peak.

During the 24hr circadian rhythm of a healthy young male testosterone levels will start to increase around 3-4 am reaching a peak between 6-8 am and by 11-12 pm will start to decline late afternoon/early evening reaching a trough between 6-8 pm.

Fluctuations from peak--->trough would be around 20-25%

Natural T levels follow a diurnal 24 hr circadian rhythm and will start to rise gradually around 3 am reaching peak levels around 8 am

Natural endogenous testosterone secretion is pulsatile and diurnal.

Keep in mind that dysfunction (thyroid/adrenals) can mimic symptoms of low-t.

When it comes to testing hormones it is critical to use accurate assays TT/estradiol/DHT (LC-MS/MS) and FT (ED or UF).

Although TT is important to know FT is what truly matters as it is the active unbound fraction of testosterone responsible for the positive effects.

As I stated previously where your SHBG sits will have a significant impact on TT/FT.

These are the only symptoms you mention.

As you should very well know diet/rest will play a big role let alone excess stress (mental/physical) can lead to overtraining and hammer down T levels.

The most common symptoms of low-t are low energy/mood, low libido, erectile dysfunction such as lack of NPT (nocturnal penile tumescence), spontaneous erections, lack of morning wood).

If anything I would take a week off from the gym (as you are training 6 days/week) and have blood work done using one of the most accurate assays for FT (Equilibrium Dialysis or Ultrafiltration) let alone test your SHBG.

madman

Super Moderator
Would be a huge mistake to jump on trt considering that you stated.....Everything else: sleep, sex drive, erections Are all fine.

Unless your FT level is truly low!

Again the only way to know is to have it tested using the most accurate assays (ED or UF) especially in cases of altered SHBG.

madman

Super Moderator
Any panel would suffice when it comes to using the most accurate assays for Total and Free Testosterone.

Any man getting blood work done to check testosterone levels let alone on trt should be using such!

Quest Diagnostics:
1. Total Testosterone (LC/MS- No Upper Limit) and Free Testosterone
(Equilibrium Dialysis)

2. Testosterone, Total, LC/MS, and Free (Equilibrium Ultrafiltration)

Labcorp

1. Total Testosterone (LC/MS- No Upper Limit) and Free Testosterone
(Equilibrium Dialysis)

2. Testosterone, Total, LC/MS, and Free (Equilibrium Ultrafiltration)

Systemlord

I see a lot of guys on these forums who overtrain, don't eat enough, don't get enough rest and end up with high Total T, lower Free T, and high SHBG.

madman

Super Moderator
I am 49 years old.
6' - 190 lbs.
That seemed good.

What was the component test code on your results?

It should state what testing method was used (calculated/direct immunoassay/ED) on the results from your blood work.

Seems that ARUP uses the same reference ranges (47-244 pg/mL) for Free Testosterone whether the calculated method or Equilibrium Dialysis which is odd.

You may very well have had your T levels tested using the most accurate assays TT( LC-MS/MS) and FT (Equilibrium Dialysis).

sammmy

If you don't have a low free T, getting on TRT will not make you a "superman" as many people fantasize. TRT is not a bodybuilding cycle, and doesn't lead to the same results.

In fact, if you search through the threads here, you will see that many people here on TRT have problems with sleep, libido, water retention, hematocrit, ferritin, and more serious ones.

The bottom line is: don't do TRT, unless you really need it. It's not worth the problems it leads to.

SuperDad

Despite my Free T being on the lower range of normal....as long as I am basically symptom free....is it anything I need to.be concerned about?
Any natural ways to raise Free T?

sammmy

If you don't have any symptoms you don't need to be concerned. Testosterone is really overhyped for people that are not truly deficient of it.

There are no "natural ways" to increase free T. Apart from TRT or injectable HCG, arimidex may boost it with quite unpleasant side effects (fatigue, joint pain), clomiphene may increase it but most report no symptomatic benefit despite boosted lab values and side effects (insomnia). Enclomiphene by itself, without TRT, is not clear.

There are supplements that help with endurance and recovery. Ecdysterone extracts for example - they act on the estrogen receptor and are not expected to influence the testosterone system.

Systemlord

In fact, if you search through the threads here, you will see that many people here on TRT have problems with sleep, libido, water retention, hematocrit, ferritin, and more serious ones.
Well naturally these forums are going to have people having problems in search of answers, not guys not having issues.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me