IMPROVING SYMPTOMS IN YOUNG MEN WITH ED: TRT WITH OR WITHOUT PDE5 INHIBITORS

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Introduction

While erectile dysfunction (ED) in young men has traditionally been viewed as primarily psychogenic in etiology, a growing body of evidence supports a higher prevalence of organic etiology.

Objective

The aim of this study was to further characterize the etiology and treatment outcomes of ED in men under 40 years at a single institution.

Methods

A retrospective chart review of men presenting with ED from 2010-2022 was undertaken. Men initially presenting under the age of 40 years were included and analyzed for hypogonadism, ED etiology, and treatment outcomes.

Results

Of our cohort, a total of 74 men under the age of 40 years presented with complaints of ED (mean age 31.6 years). Twenty-three (31.1%) men were eugonadal without organic etiology of ED. Of these men, 22 (95.7%) were started on phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors (PDE5i) and one (4.3%) reported symptom resolution without treatment. The remaining 51 (68.9%) men presented with ED of likely organic origin. Forty-two (82.4%) of these men were hypogonadal and were started on testosterone, human chorionic gonadotropin, clomid, and/or a PDE5i. Of those who followed up, 32 (91.9%) men reported improvement in symptoms after therapy. The organic etiologies of ED in the nine (17.6%) eugonadal men included a history of urologic surgery (4), Peyronie’s disease (2), prior genitourinary trauma (1), spinal cord tumor (1), and prolactinoma (1). Within this group, four (44.4%) progressed to intra-cavernosal injection, two (22.2%) improved with PDE5i, and three (33.3%) were lost to follow-up.

Conclusions

It appears that the majority of young patients who present with ED are hypogonadal. Treating this population of men with medication to raise natural testosterone with or without the addition of a PDE5i has been shown to improve their symptoms. Young eugonadal men with no discernable organic etiology of ED respond well to oral PDE5i alone but tended to not follow up, suggesting possible ED resolution without a need for prolonged treatment. In all, clinicians should check serum testosterone levels and conduct a thorough urological history to identify potential organic etiologies of ED in younger men before assuming a psychogenic basis.

Attachments

• qdae001.151.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 16
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel