If you are feeling great, how often do you pull labs?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nashtide

I was testing every 3-4 months for awhile. The results would cause me to tinker with my protocol which caused me to re-test. I've decided that as long as I feel great and am on a sensible protocol, there is no good reason to test so often. Now the question is how long can I go without being irresponsible?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
I was testing every 3-4 months for awhile. The results would cause me to tinker with my protocol which caused me to re-test. I've decided that as long as I feel great and am on a sensible protocol, there is no good reason to test so often. Now the question is how long can I go without being irresponsible?

6 months is reasonable unless some negative issues come up and you need to look into things.

Matt Leiser

6 to 8 weeks after a change to my protocol. I check in with my dr every 3 months so if nothing changes then every 12 weeks

Re-Ride

Nashtide, Test Tinker Fail yes I wholeheartedly agree.

There's a chart posted here comparing the recommendations of various medical associations. My trt journey began decades ago. My early posts here show that I had become quite ill from lack of testing. In general MD's rarely pull serum tests for levels of medicines prescribed. Inadequate knowledge by treating physicians regarding trt put my life in precarious position.

After joining here literally on the brink of death I was naturally very much an advocate of frequent testing. I likely would have continued with frequent testing had I not run in to insurmountable barriers.

Meanwhile multiple instances of Test Tinker Fail reported here caused me to ponder the obsessive approach adopted by so many here toward all aspects of self care. People start feeling well even activated once they start a proper protocol which feeds an obsession often manifesting itself well beyond hormone testing.

A year or more may be required for the body to adjust to trt. Once beyond that point and the pt has learned to equate dosing to how he feels the frequency of serum hormone testing can drop dramatically imo. Other things to consider are the reliability of the assays, the wide range of interpretations and that the results any assay report what is occurring only at the moment of draw. The appropriate frequency of assay is going to vary from pt to pt.

Vince

Super Moderator
I like to do labs every 6 months, even if I make adjustment to my protocol. I still normally like to wait 6 months. I the main issue I have, if my total T stays high I feel good. I have been getting my HCT checked every 12 weeks, because I no longer donate blood. It's never been over 47.9, I guess I can have my HCT checked every 6 months now.

Nashtide

I need to monitor CBC/CMP/PSA/E2 so I can run ~6 month labs but Dr requires that anyway IIRC so I don't have a way around it
My doc is okay with once a year labs. I'm the one who has been doing them every 4 months for my own peace of mind. If I want SHBG, DHEA-S or any other test I have to do it myself. My doc only does TT, FT, sensitive E2 and the regular yearly stuff.

DragonBits

After joining here literally on the brink of death I was naturally very much an advocate of frequent testing. I likely would have continued with frequent testing had I not run in to insurmountable barriers.

Meanwhile multiple instances of Test Tinker Fail reported here caused me to ponder the obsessive approach adopted by so many here toward all aspects of self care. People start feeling well even activated once they start a proper protocol which feeds an obsession often manifesting itself well beyond hormone testing.

A year or more may be required for the body to adjust to trt. Once beyond that point and the pt has learned to equate dosing to how he feels the frequency of serum hormone testing can drop dramatically imo. Other things to consider are the reliability of the assays, the wide range of interpretations and that the results any assay report what is occurring only at the moment of draw. The appropriate frequency of assay is going to vary from pt to pt.

I get the same feeling that many of us start to obsess about our health. Not just about testing, about supplements also. I keep finding new supplements that look like a good idea to take.

As far as how often I have tested while on Nebido, let's just say I am not a good example of what anyone should do. Since I was injecting Nebido once every 11 weeks, I wasn't under the care of a doctor, it wasn't like I get a lot of spikes and no changes in protocol, probably blood tests wouldn't have shown anything interesting.

How often you test depends on what meds you are taking. I think thyroid meds should be tested more often.

If I were to do it over with Nebido, I would test first at 3 months, then 6 month later, then 12 months later.

I think another reason people on here over test and tinker, is we are giving the control over a lot of these decision. We can order tests whenever we want, and within limits, suggest protocol changes that the doctors generally go along with as long as they are within reason.

A big change from the way most interact with Doctors. The doctor making all the decisions about what to test, when to test and what to proscribe.

So I think one reason people over test, it gives us a sense of control over our health and our lives.

Davet

I have mine done every 6 mths just for peace of mind...if I feel off piste and a tweak is required then a spot draw can be useful to keep things in check...

snip...

I wonder if there is a medical term for people who can't stop playing doctor on themselves and attempt to get others to do the same?
I know I got sucked into that madness, paid the price both physically and monetarily before learning my lesson.

I feel every 6 months is a good time frame only because we are now supplying hormones and no longer allowing our bodies to control others with the use of AI and HCG.
There could be blood values that are not felt until it is too late.

crazydiamond

Twice a year - once with Endo checkup, once with physical. But my docs are cool if I wanted another test here and there. We have a good relationship.

How I "feel" is a small part of my reasons for testing - I felt "fine" while I was developing gynocomastia over many years of poor protocol and not asking for FT or E2 levels.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me