History of Nerve Sparing Prostate Cancer Surgery

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator

In this episode of the Dr. Geo podcast, Dr. Geo interviews Dr. Herbert Lepor, the chairman of NYU’s Department of Urology. They discuss Dr. Lepor’s career, his dedication to his patients, and his focus on his role as a father. They also delve into the history of nerve-sparing prostate cancer surgery and the advancements in this field. Dr. Lepor highlights the importance of time management and balancing professional and personal responsibilities. He also emphasizes the need for honesty in discussing expectations and outcomes with patients. Overall, Dr. Lepor’s leadership and vision have helped transform NYU’s Urology department into a top-ranking institution.

• Dr. Herbert Lepor, chairman of NYU’s Department of Urology, is interviewed on the Dr. Geo podcast.
  • Dr. Lepor discusses his career, dedication to patients, and role as a father.
  • They talk about the history of nerve-sparing prostate cancer surgery and its advancements.
  • Dr. Lepor emphasizes the importance of time management and balancing professional and personal responsibilities.
  • He highlights the need for honesty in discussing expectations and outcomes with patients.
  • Dr. Lepor’s leadership has transformed NYU’s Urology department into a top institution.

Chapters

15:05 1983 Scientific Paper, Journal of Urology…Radical Prostatectomy
15:37 What was prostate surgery like before 1983? …0% chance that men were able to get erections prior to 1983?
17:31 Dr. Walsh looked at these drawings and said...that's the pathway that the nerves that control erection
18:22 The nerves…controlling erection…outside of the prostate…meant…possibility to do a nerve sparing.
19:22 Nerve sparing.
20:46 What exactly is happening that you can spare those important nerves for penile erections?
21:39 Whether or not  the man will regain his erectile function depends on many factors.
23:19 50 year old with very good erections …and… a nerve-sparing bilaterally… preserving erectile function is 80, 90%.
24:55 Different ages, there's different…Baseline function…this really fueled my interest in Focal Therapy
25:42 Amount of prostates you've removed throughout your life.
26:28 The robot… every single legitimate study … comparing the two has failed to show any difference
28:47 The open surgical approach is actually…faster recovery because we're outside their intestinal cavity.
32:30 I always say to patients, look, the most important thing… is … experience.
34:25 95% of my patients go home the same day.
36:50 When I talk to a patient, I differentiate between perfect and continent.
38:40 The Duke study..depends on two things…How did you do, and how did you expect to do?
40:56 Our department really…pioneers in using MRI …at identifying where the aggressive cancers are
41:22 The Lumpectomy of the prostate,
46:25 We are one of three centers using Aquablation for Focal Therapy.
53:25 Your legacy is your urologic progeny..hundreds of residents that I've trained over the 30 years…is the patients that you've cared for…the lives that you touched and providing the environment for others  to excel.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching