Help with Iron Panel

Buy Lab Tests Online

OMI100

I have tried to understand Iron Panel interpretations, but the more I read the more I am confused.
So looking for an EXPERT on Iron Panel evaluations.
Here are the lab values.
TIBC - 231 - (250-450 ug/dl) LOW
UIBC - 108 - (131-425 ug/d) LOW
IRON - 123 - (27-159 ug/dl)
% IRON SATUR - 53 - (15-55)
FERRITIN, SERUM - 44 - (15-150 ng/ml)
FT3 - 3.4 - (2.0-4.4 pg/ml)
FT4 - 1.12 - (0.82-1.77 ng/dl)
TSH - NA - ON NDT
Found this article but confusing:
https://www.tpauk.com/main/article/iron-and-hypothyroidism-from-stop-the-thyroid-madness/
So any Iron Panel EXPERTS out there:)

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

CoastWatcher

Before anyone weighs in, can you remind us what your protocol looks like? These numbers represent blood taken with what underway? Do you have prior values that can be compared?

Many thanks.

OMI100

Before anyone weighs in, can you remind us what your protocol looks like? These numbers represent blood taken with what underway? Do you have prior values that can be compared?

Many thanks.
Not mine:)
Family member (F) who is Hypothyroid and taking NDT and recovering from Lyme:(
No recent iron labs.
In fact I had to push to get her to run these:)
Her FT3 is at 58% of range and FT4 is at 32% of range and she is working to get those umbers up.
Slowly titrating up on the NDT.
The Iron Panel seems to indicate another issue. Just not sure if it is indicating a need for more iron or ?

Last edited:

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
I have tried to understand Iron Panel interpretations, but the more I read the more I am confused.
So looking for an EXPERT on Iron Panel evaluations.
Here are the lab values.
TIBC - 231 - (250-450 ug/dl) LOW
UIBC - 108 - (131-425 ug/d) LOW
IRON - 123 - (27-159 ug/dl)
% IRON SATUR - 53 - (15-55)
FERRITIN, SERUM - 44 - (15-150 ng/ml)
FT3 - 3.4 - (2.0-4.4 pg/ml)
FT4 - 1.12 - (0.82-1.77 ng/dl)
TSH - NA - ON NDT
Found this article but confusing:
https://www.tpauk.com/main/article/iron-and-hypothyroidism-from-stop-the-thyroid-madness/
So any Iron Panel EXPERTS out there:)

Orrin, I'm not proclaiming expert status by any means, but will try to weigh-in a tad..

The TIBC and UIBC are both in reference to transferrin protein measurement, which is produced in the liver. UIBC just measures unsaturated transferrin, TIBC is simply taking your UIBC + Total Iron Serum (108 + 123 = 231 for your TIBC). The saturation% is just a calculation of Iron/TIBC (123/231 = 53%). This is just helping physicians assess whether too much iron is in the blood, and also as markers to test for certain disorders (anemia, hemochromatosis) and both the transferrin and ferritin results can prompt for further testing in the liver. I personally know that from experience with having the hemochromatosis carrier gene (1 parent), but it put my ferritin over 1,400 at one point before I learned how to control it.

The transferrin usually works in correlation with iron serum levels, meaning more transferrin demand when iron decreases, lower transferrin demand when iron increases. When UIBC is super low it could reflect hemochromatosis or iron overload. The body is regulating the amount of carrier proteins. On the opposite, high UIBC could/might reflect anemia or low iron, which in turn the body is trying to provide and promote more carrier protein to allow iron to get into the cells.

IMO, your TIBC is a bit low in relation to the iron serum, but the saturation % isn't over the top. I think it could be more of a liver subject, but that can be a myriad of variables from prescriptions, supplements, diet and alcohol, and/or genetic disposition (??). Personally, if at the end of the day the TIBC and iron serum stay the same, I don't think it's a huge problem, that's my take. However, your ferritin is needing to come up in order to really get your thyroid hormone to be productive. I don't quite know how to go about that without possibly impacting iron & saturation??

Again, my first thought is that something might be off in the liver (?) .. If so, it could be something simple and external, and a solution could be created. Maybe a referal to a hepatologist and/or a hematologist might be in order to review everything and provide their professional opinion(s).. Again, not a proclaimed expert by any means, but I had to get a little familiar with all of this myself years back. Keep us posted ...

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me