HELP PLEASE. Why is my pregnenolone so low, test is low, but DHEA and Free test through the roof.

Buy Lab Tests Online
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME MAKE SENSE OUT OF THIS

Why is my pregnenolone so low, test is low, but DHEA and Free test through the roof.

I'm not doing any steroids or TRT
I workout 5 days a week
200 pnds

LAB TEST RESULTS :

SHBG 35
TESTOSTERONE SERUM 435
FREE TESTOSTERONE 54.4 HIGH
DHEA SULFATE 430 HIGH
ESTRADIOL 25
PREGNENOLONE 12 LOW
PSA .4

Thank you in advance for the help !

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
It would consider retesting PREGNENOLONE, can you post all your labs and ranges. I would also consider getting a complete thyroid panel.

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
I thought two things, isn't Pregnenolone expensive to test and otherwise unreliable test (the test itself).

^^^^ EXACTLY! Why most Docs in the know don't order it...unreliable.

There's a new urine panel that may be more reliable but I don't even think they have a reference range for it yet.

Supplement 25 mg twice daily as an insurance policy.

Guys, thanks for the help.

What I find strange is that my DHEA 430 and Free T 54 are very high compared to my Test serum which is low at 435. TSH is normal at 1.43.

Is this normal? should I supplement Pregnenolone? any product recommendations?
headsuphealth (1).jpg?

headsuphealth.jpg

I think your numbers are fine, most guys would love to have Free T that is that high and not be on TRT, Total isn't quite the number to be concerned about. As we indicated you're looking at Pregnenolone based on that very flawed test. I wouldn't treat it based on that test, it really is unlikely that supplementing Preg is going to do anything for you.

CoastWatcher

Should I supplement some testosterone? For some reason I workout hard but it's very hard to build muscle no matter what I do.
One doesnt "supplement" testosterone. Any use of exogenous testosterone will shut down your body's natural production. TRT is a significant commitment. Has your doctor discussed it with you?

If you are considering "cycling" we can't help you; it's not what this forum is dedicated to. There are other sites, plenty, that can guide you if you choose to go in that direction.

One doesnt "supplement" testosterone. Any use of exogenous testosterone will shut down your body's natural production. TRT is a significant commitment. Has your doctor discussed it with you?

If you are considering "cycling" we can't help you; it's not what this forum is dedicated to. There are other sites, plenty, that can guide you if you choose to go in that direction.

I don't want to do TRT or cycles. I just want to make sure my ranges on my lab tests on all hormones are at the appropriate levels not elevated but not at the really low either. that's why I came here for help. Doctors tell you everything is fine and dont help until you are in really bad shape.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Labcorp uses liquid chromatography to measure pregnenolone. It is not cheap

https://www.discountedlabs.com/pregnenolone

What is your cholesterol? What oral supplements are you taking?

• Pregnenolone is produced from cholesterol.
The conversion of cholesterol to steroids occurs in the internal mitochondrial membrane.
•How does cholesterol get from the external membrane to the internal membrane? Answer: Steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR), which transports cholesterol into the mitochondria, moving it from the outer membrane to the inner membrane.

StAR enzyme.jpg

StAR is a mitochondrial protein that is rapidly synthesized in response to stimulation of the cell to produce steroid. Hormones that stimulate its production depend on the cell type and include luteinizing hormone (LH), ACTH and angiotensin II, so low levels of any of those hormones may affect StAR activity. Blocking LH with TRT can shut down StAR.

Alcohol can decrease StAR activity (at least in animal models).

There are no agreed upon ranges of "normal pregnenolone" levels in men. 11-50 ng/dL seems to be a common range I see around.

More information on pregnenolone

Last edited:
Labcorp uses liquid chromatography to measure pregnenolone. It is not cheap

https://www.discountedlabs.com/pregnenolone

What is your cholesterol? What oral supplements are you taking?

• Pregnenolone is produced from cholesterol.
The conversion of cholesterol to steroids occurs in the internal mitochondrial membrane.
•How does cholesterol get from the external membrane to the internal membrane? Answer: Steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR), which transports cholesterol into the mitochondria, moving it from the outer membrane to the inner membrane.

StAR is a mitochondrial protein that is rapidly synthesized in response to stimulation of the cell to produce steroid. Hormones that stimulate its production depend on the cell type and include luteinizing hormone (LH), ACTH and angiotensin II, so low levels of any of those hormones may affect StAR activity. Blocking LH with TRT can shut down StAR.

Alcohol can decrease StAR activity (at least in animal models).

There are no agreed upon ranges of "normal pregnenolone" levels in men. 11-50 ng/dL seems to be a common range I see around.

More information on pregnenolone

Nelson, these are my cholesterol results for the past 2 draws. I'm also doing the ketogenic diet. Don't know if it has anything to do with the hormones. Thanks for the feedback.

headsuphealth (2).jpg

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
You should add that pic as an attachment instead of pasting it into the post since we can not read it.

If your LH is low that may result in lower Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein (StAR) activation and, thus, lower pregnenolone.

I would not start TRT at your T level since TRT shuts down StAR. hCG may activate it.

I explain in this video how LH (and probably hCG) activate sTAR:

Men's Guide to HCG

There is some in vitro data that shows that retinoids may activate StAR.

What Foods Have Retinoids?

Will eating more retinoid-rich foods improve pregnenolone and downstream hormones? We have no data to answer that question.

Empower sells a pregnenolone cream but I have not heard from anyone who has used it.

Pregnenolone cream.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale