Estradiol Level Predicted Visual Attention to Sexual Images in Older Men

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Aging Male. 2021 Dec;24(1):106-118. doi: 10.1080/13685538.2021.1960964.

Hormones and visual attention to sexual stimuli in older men: an exploratory investigation

Jaime L Palmer-Hague 1, Samantha T S Wong 2, Richard J Wassersug 3, Alan Kingstone 2, Erik Wibowo 4
Affiliations expand

PMID: 34369279 DOI: 10.1080/13685538.2021.1960964

Abstract
Background: Testosterone is associated with sexual desire and performance in men, but little is known about cognitive mechanisms underlying this relationship. Even less is known about the influence of estradiol, despite its production from testosterone, and high receptor density in brain regions related to male sexual behavior.

Method: We used eye-tracking to compare men's visual attention to images of fully clothed (i.e. neutral) and minimally clothed (i.e. sexy) models in three groups: androgen-deprived (n = 6) and not androgen-deprived with prostate cancer (n = 11), and healthy controls (n = 7). We also assessed effects of serum testosterone, estradiol, and sex hormone-binding globulin levels.

Results: We found no group effect for fixations to sexy compared to neutral images, and no influence of testosterone on either total fixations, or proportion of fixations to sexy images. In contrast, we found that sex hormone binding globulin positively predicted total fixations, and estradiol positively predicted proportion of total fixations on sexy images--regardless of androgen treatment status.

Conclusion: Our results suggest that visual attention to sexual stimuli in men may be significantly affected by hormones. This has potential implications for clinical populations that experience sexual side effects, such as prostate cancer patients on androgen deprivation therapy.

Keywords: Older men; estradiol; sex hormone-binding globulin; testosterone; visual attention.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching