Dutasteride vs Finasteride

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Hi
Is it true 0.25mg dutasteride is more powerful 5mg finasteride?
Thanks

Not only does Dutasteride have a stronger effect on suppressing DHT.....hence a lower dose is needed but it inhibits both Type 1 and 2 (5AR) as opposed to Finasteride which only inhibits Type 2 (5AR).

Comparison of Clinical Trials With Finasteride and Dutasteride (2004)

Abstract

Finasteride selectively inhibits the Type 2 isoenzyme of 5α-reductase (5AR) (the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone [DHT]) whereas dutasteride inhibits both Type 1 and Type 2 5AR. General conclusions regarding the differences and similarities of these 2 agents, in terms of pharmacologic effect, safety, and efficacy, can be drawn from the evaluation of short-term comparative trials and similar but non-comparative long-term trials. Dutasteride therapy reduces serum DHT significantly more than finasteride. In men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), treatment with either agent results in similar prostate gland volume reduction, flow rate, and symptom improvement, and similar reductions in long-term risk of BPH development in terms of symptom progression and acute urinary retention (AUR) and BPH-related surgery. There does not appear to be any clinically significant difference between the adverse event profiles of dutasteride and finasteride. Although weak evidence suggests a difference in the onset of clinical benefit, the available non-comparative trial data do not confirm this finding. Patients with symptomatic BPH who receive dutasteride or finasteride, either as monotherapy or combination therapy with α-blockers, can expect to experience significant prostate gland size reduction, improved symptoms, and reduced risk of progression in terms of long-term adverse outcomes.

Figure 1

The 2 5α-reductase inhibitors (5ARIs), dutasteride and finasteride, suppress dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Finasteride inhibits only the Type 2 5AR isoenzyme, whereas dutasteride, the only dual 5ARI, selectively inhibits both Type 1 and Type 2 5AR isoenzymes. Data from Bartsch G et al.
Screenshot (120).png

Figure 2

A comparative phase II evaluation of dutasteride and finasteride in a double-blind placebo-controlled trial clearly demonstrates that serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) suppression is significantly greater with dutasteride (0.5 mg daily) than with finasteride (5 mg daily). Data from Clark RV et al.
1555166095037.png

Conclusion

Without evidence from long-term clinical trials comparing the safety and efficacy of dutasteride and finasteride, firm conclusions regarding the relative efficacy and safety of one agent over the other cannot be made.
However, indirect comparisons of long-term changes in prostate volume and symptoms (Figures 5A and B) and general conclusions drawn from the evaluation of short-term comparative trials and similar but non-comparative long-term trials can be made (Table 4). One such conclusion is that dutasteride therapy reduces serum DHT significantly more than finasteride. In addition, treatment with either agent results in similar prostate gland volume reduction, flow rate, and symptom improvement, and similar reductions in long-term risk of BPH development in terms of symptom progression and AUR and BPH-related surgery. There does not appear to be any clinically significant difference between the adverse event profile of dutasteride and finasteride. Although weak evidence suggests a difference in the onset of clinical benefit, the available non-comparative trial data do not confirm this finding. Patients with symptomatic BPH who receive dutasteride or finasteride, either as monotherapy or combination therapy with α-blockers, can expect to experience significant prostate gland size reduction, improved symptoms, and reduced risk of progression in terms of long-term adverse outcomes.

Attachments

• APR13-FINASTERIDE-DUTASTERIDE-RIU006009_0S31.pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 128

madman

Super Moderator
The efficacy and safety of dutasteride compared with finasteride in treating men with androgenetic alopecia: a systematic review and meta-analysis (2019)

Aim:
We performed a meta-analysis to evaluate the efficacy and safety of dutasteride and finasteride in treating men with androgenetic alopecia (AGA) during a 24-week treatment cycle.

Methods: Randomized controlled trials of dutasteride and finasteride for treating AGA were searched using MEDLINE, EMBASE, and the Cochrane Controlled Trials Register. The data were calculated using Rev Man v5.3.0. The reference lists of retrieved studies were also investigated.

Results: Three articles including 576 participants which compared dutasteride with finasteride were selected for our analysis. The mean change in total hair count (mean difference [MD], 28.57; 95% CI, 18.75–38.39; P,0.00001), investigator’s assessment of global photographs for the vertex (MD, 0.68; 95% CI, 0.13–1.23; P=0.02) and frontal (MD, 0.63; 95% CI, 0.13–1.13; P=0.01) views, panel global photographic assessment for the vertex (MD, 0.17; 95% CI, 0.09–0.24; P,0.00001) and frontal (MD, 0.25; 95% CI, 0.18–0.31; P,0.00001) views, and subjects’ assessment (MD, 0.56; 95% CI, 0.18–0.94; P=0.003) suggested that dutasteride provided a better efficacy in treating men with AGA compared with finasteride. With regard to the assessment of safety, altered libido (P=0.54), erectile dysfunction (P=0.07), and ejaculation disorders (P=0.58), dutasteride did not show a significant difference compared with finasteride.

Conclusion: Dutasteride seems to provide a better efficacy compared with finasteride in treating AGA. The two drugs appear to show similar rates of adverse reactions, especially in sexual dysfunction.

Attachments

• APR13-AGA-cia-14-399.pdf
    896.1 KB · Views: 109

DragonBits

I would probably go for Finasteride since it is already used in Propecia and it's a less drastic reduction in DHT but similar shrinkage in prostate volume.

Though I believe that unless you eliminate the reason for your prostate growth, once you stop Finasteride your prostate will just grow back.

BTW, LEF ultra prostate formula also appeared to reduce my DHT from 74 ng/dl >43 with less risk. I stopped the supplement and will have to see if my PSA goes back up, I don't really know if my prostate shrank.

Vince

Super Moderator
I would probably go for Finasteride since it is already used in Propecia and it's a less drastic reduction in DHT but similar shrinkage in prostate volume.

Though I believe that unless you eliminate the reason for your prostate growth, once you stop Finasteride your prostate will just grow back.

BTW, LEF ultra prostate formula also appeared to reduce my DHT from 74 ng/dl >43 with less risk. I stopped the supplement and will have to see if my PSA goes back up, I don't really know if my prostate shrank.
DragonBits, how high was your PSA level.

DragonBits

DragonBits, how high was your PSA level.

In 6 months my PSA went from 2.4>4.2, I stopped HCG/DHEA continued with TRT and with supplements my PSA went back down to 3.4. After that I stopped the LEF prostate supplement. I also take turmeric and continue to do so.

A month ago I then restarted DHEA/Preg and just friday took another PSA test, up down or stable I Have no idea.

Vince

Super Moderator
In 6 months my PSA went from 2.4>4.2, I stopped HCG/DHEA continued with TRT and with supplements my PSA went back down to 3.4. After that I stopped the LEF prostate supplement. I also take turmeric and continue to do so.

A month ago I then restarted DHEA/Preg and just friday took another PSA test, up down or stable I Have no idea.
You're really doing your homework. Hopefully your PSA will stay in a decent range.

Rude 1

Hi
Is it true 0.25mg dutasteride is more powerful 5mg finasteride?
Thanks
First post or question on this forum so forgive the lack of knowledge or asking things that have been covered on other posts.
Been on low dose T for approx 3 yrs 30-40c...usually once a week...sometimes twice if at home and hitting gym regular.
Original protocol prescribed T 40c twice a wk...HCG 50c...preg...
T was 265 at start....went up to mid 700 all felt great.
Problem....I have long hair w no balding in family..after 1yr notice hair thinning a lot. Do lazer and Minoxidil for last 2yr...cut down to only T at low dose...no HCG...no Al...no preg...all feels good
Finally to question and this may be wrong forum so just direct me...
if I added Finasteride...does it help to the extent of regrowing any hair .or are the possible libido side effects not worth it...
This is directed to the guys that actually use this...
Thanks

Vince

Super Moderator
First post or question on this forum so forgive the lack of knowledge or asking things that have been covered on other posts.
Been on low dose T for approx 3 yrs 30-40c...usually once a week...sometimes twice if at home and hitting gym regular.
Original protocol prescribed T 40c twice a wk...HCG 50c...preg...
T was 265 at start....went up to mid 700 all felt great.
Problem....I have long hair w no balding in family..after 1yr notice hair thinning a lot. Do lazer and Minoxidil for last 2yr...cut down to only T at low dose...no HCG...no Al...no preg...all feels good
Finally to question and this may be wrong forum so just direct me...
if I added Finasteride...does it help to the extent of regrowing any hair .or are the possible libido side effects not worth it...
This is directed to the guys that actually use this...
Thanks
Dr. John Crisler - The Post-Finasteride Syndrome - Persistent Propecia Side Effects

gilmar

I use dutasteride 0.5mg 5years and I don't have side effects.....but I read in other forum 0.25mg duta is more effective 5mg finast. If it's true I will reduce to 0.25mg

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me