Creatine, Hematocrit, and Kidney Function..

Buy Lab Tests Online

USMC

Just a heads up and probably a bit of "Bro Science." I started taking 5 grams of creatine several months back. It was symptom and problem free and I got great results from it. However, in a recent blood test, my hematocrit went from 46 (where it's been for years) to 51, and my kidney function dropped 1 point. I'm guessing it is causing me to be dehydrated although I drink plenty of water. Anyway, I stopped taking the creatine for 3 weeks and got retested. My kidney function test returned to normal. I asked the DR. to include the hematocrit, but she didn't... I'm going to ask her to schedule another one to include that. Also, I see my urologist next month, so maybe she will have some input.
Note, i have been doing my prescribed TRT dose of Test C 40mg twice per week, so I doubt that increased my hematocrit.

Anyone else experience this from Creatine? I seen one other post, but I would think it would be more common with how popular Creatine is. Thanks for reading this far :)

Hematocrit
41.0 - 51.0 %

51.8 H

Hemoglobin
13.8 - 17.4 g/dL

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

sammmy

Don't know the answer to your question but in terms of testing always request CBC with differential and Comprehensive Metabolic Panel. These are inexpensive tests and carry vital general health information including the one that you need.

BigTex

Just a heads up and probably a bit of "Bro Science." I started taking 5 grams of creatine several months back. It was symptom and problem free and I got great results from it. However, in a recent blood test, my hematocrit went from 46 (where it's been for years) to 51, and my kidney function dropped 1 point. I'm guessing it is causing me to be dehydrated although I drink plenty of water. Anyway, I stopped taking the creatine for 3 weeks and got retested. My kidney function test returned to normal. I asked the DR. to include the hematocrit, but she didn't... I'm going to ask her to schedule another one to include that. Also, I see my urologist next month, so maybe she will have some input.
Note, i have been doing my prescribed TRT dose of Test C 40mg twice per week, so I doubt that increased my hematocrit.

Anyone else experience this from Creatine? I seen one other post, but I would think it would be more common with how popular Creatine is. Thanks for reading this far :)

Hematocrit
41.0 - 51.0 %

51.8 H

Hemoglobin
13.8 - 17.4 g/dL

Absolutely. Creatine, regardless of the source converts to creatinine as a result of energy metabolism. So creatinine is a chemical waste molecule that is generated from muscle metabolism.

1690654802010.jpeg

Not only will creatine supplement cause a false positive, it is important to remember that even high muscle mass alone can independently correlate with high levels of serum creatinine. This is due to increased supply and turnover of creatine phosphate. High intensity training can also cause this false positive. Since creatine is in all meats, high protein diets can also cause this false positive.

I might suggest that the cystatin C blood test is better for you next time.

As far as HCT.....Robinson TM, Sewell DA, Casey A, et al. Dietary creatine supplementation does not affect some haematological indices, or indices of muscle damage and hepatic and renal function.

Last edited:

USMC

Absolutely. Creatine, regardless of the source converts to creatinine as a result of energy metabolism. So creatinine is a chemical waste molecule that is generated from muscle metabolism.

View attachment 34995

Not only will creatine supplement cause a false positive, it is important to remember that even high muscle mass alone can independently correlate with high levels of serum creatinine. This is due to increased supply and turnover of creatine phosphate. High intensity training can also cause this false positive. Since creatine is in all meats, high protein diets can also cause this false positive.

I might suggest that the cystatin C blood test is better for you next time.
Funny you mention that. Right below my test result it says this:
"This Cr-based equation underestimates GFR in patients with increased muscle mass. Order CYSTATIN C WITH GFR ESTIMATE, LAB4559, if additional evaluation of renal function is needed."
I messaged her about that and she responded that could very well be the case and she would consider it. ... whatever that means. Thanks for your input as always ..

BigTex

Funny you mention that. Right below my test result it says this:
"This Cr-based equation underestimates GFR in patients with increased muscle mass. Order CYSTATIN C WITH GFR ESTIMATE, LAB4559, if additional evaluation of renal function is needed."
I messaged her about that and she responded that could very well be the case and she would consider it. ... whatever that means. Thanks for your input as always ..
Note, I just added the HCT part in my posting above.

USMC

Amen.

I think I'll message my NP and tell her I've been using Creatine. I haven't done that yet and it may change the tests I have scheduled in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure she plans on doing the same test we've already done.

T

tareload

I think I'll message my NP and tell her I've been using Creatine. I haven't done that yet and it may change the tests I have scheduled in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure she plans on doing the same test we've already done.
Example head to head for a swimmer physique haha.

Post in thread 'Creatinine & eGFR' Creatinine & eGFR

Docs who don't work with sicko weight lifting subculture can really give you a scare on your kidney function. Maybe that is good thing to keep us all on toes.

Vince

Super Moderator
expand...
When I supplement my creatine my creatinine levels go up. The normals essay combine the two and leaves you with a higher creatinine levels. Also heavy lifting will make your creatinine levels look higher. It's pretty common.

sammmy

That change in eGFR is nothing, mine has gone from 60+ to 90+ depending on drugs I'm taking. Most probably is creatine in your case leading to increased creatinine production to which the eGFR is highly sensitive.

I'm not sure creatine can cause such a large jump in hematocrit though.

USMC

That change in eGFR is nothing, mine has gone from 60+ to 90+ depending on drugs I'm taking. Most probably is creatine in your case leading to increased creatinine production to which the eGFR is highly sensitive.

I'm not sure creatine can cause such a large jump in hematocrit though.
It is strange for me. My hematocrit has always been on the lower side as you can see. I haven't been adding any more Test or other goodies lately. Creatine is the only thing I added @ 5 grams per day. I stopped about a week ago and have another blood test coming up on the 11th. However, I think she (NP) is only focusing on my kidney function. I did leave a message for my DR. to consider a cystatin test, but never got a response so we'll see what tests I get. I'll report back :)

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me