Comparing Weight Loss Modalities: Medical vs. Surgical

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator

In this episode of Better Edge, Dr. Veronica Johnson and Dr. Eric Hungness from Northwestern Medicine discuss weight loss modalities. They highlight the effectiveness of weight loss surgery in addressing obesity and its associated medical problems. They also explore the evolution of non-surgical treatment options, such as the use of anti-obesity medications, which have shown promising results in promoting weight loss. The doctors emphasize the importance of a multidisciplinary approach, involving dieticians, psychologists, exercise physiologists, and other healthcare professionals to provide comprehensive care for patients. They also mention the need for continued research to evaluate the outcomes of combined therapies and the potential for reducing barriers to accessing weight loss medications.

Key Takeaways:
  • Obesity is a major health issue, and weight loss surgery has become the gold standard in helping patients with Class 2 or 3 obesity.
  • Weight loss surgeries have proven to be effective tools in improving medical problems associated with obesity, such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
  • The current state of weight loss surgery is focused on quality improvements and offers safe procedures for patients.
  • New anti-obesity medications, like semaglutide and tirzepatide, show significant weight loss potential and augment the physiological changes that occur after surgery.
  • Weight loss medications are indicated for patients with BMI of 27 or higher with comorbidities or BMI of 30 or higher.
  • Some contraindications for medications include rare forms of cancer or personal history of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2.
  • The interaction between weight loss medications and other medications is currently limited due to the subcutaneous administration, but caution is necessary in patients with severe gastrointestinal issues or history of pancreatitis.
  • A comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach involving dieticians, psychologists, exercise physiologists, and other healthcare professionals is crucial for optimal patient care.
  • Patient counseling and education play a key role in patient selection, dietary evaluation, psychological evaluation, and ongoing support.
  • Research advancements focus on concomitant therapy, induction weight loss medication before surgery, determining optimal maintenance therapy, and evaluating combined therapy outcomes.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator

Was in ICU with Acute Pancreatitis for 7 days back in March. 12 days totally hospitalized.

I completely eliminated any alcohol after going through that. They also want me to remove my gallbladder as they couldn't tell if it was gallbladder sludge dripping onto the Pancreas or the alcohol that caused it. I've had absolutely zero pain in the abdomen in the 5.5 months that followed so for now I'm not bothering with gallbladder removal. Most people who get it removed experience some severe pain along the way. I'm not going to just willy-nilly remove the gallbladder but I guess if Pancreatitis comes back and assuming I live I suppose I can then remove the gallbladder and possibly resume alcohol, but frankly I don't miss drinking one bit.

I have lost some weight and added some muscle but still at 31% BMI.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me