Can oxandrolone cause a reduction in total test levels reported on a blood test while on TRT?

Buy Lab Tests Online

SteveCleves

My TRT protocol is 140mg cyp a week divided into every 3 day injections. This puts me at 950-1000 ng/dl. I get quarterly blood tests. I have been in this range for a few years.

Over the past year I have experimented with Oxandrolone 10mg per day. Something odd is happening. When on the oxandrolone, my SHBG goes down, free test goes up, as I would expect. But oddly enough, my total test goes down as well. This pattern repeated itself for all 4 blood tests.

January No Ox - Test 992
April Ox - Test 660
August No Ox - Test 956
December Ox - Test 656

Tests were taken at the same time in the cycle, on injection day before injecting.

The only difference in protocols is the 10mg of daily Ox.

This doesn't make any sense to me...what am I missing here?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
T

tareload

Glad you asked...great question.

1673035285780.png

T

tareload

With accurate fT assay (equilibrium dialysis), your free T should stay constant.

SHBG lowered with OX so TT will also drop on accurate test (LCMS).

For same dose of Test upon adding the oxandrolone...only way your fT can drop at testing time point is if OX affects your metabolic clearance of the fT. Not my experience. Drop in TT can be explained by drop in SHBG which OX strongly affects. See links above... @Cataceous has been thought leader in this area:

Hence, think of it as

TT = f(fT, SHBG)

NOT

fT = f(TT, SHBG)

T

tareload

Also usually misunderstood…your T dose sets your free T level and then SHBG sets your Total T. That is fT level set by mass action (how much T you inject) then SHBG binds some fT to TT by dynamic equilibrium (storage). At steady state for same injection amount per unit time, the amount of fT leaving body is proportional to amount entering body. At steady state there is no accumulation hence SHBG can’t change fT level for a constant T dosage per unit time (only the storage amount). Also ignoring downstream conversion, E2, etc.

You can try this experiment yourself by keeping your TRT dose constant and drop SHBG with another medication like oxandrolone/etc. Now compare your pre and post TT/ fT levels using accurate TT/fT methods.

I’d argue (if SHBG does play a role) that more realistically the honeymoon period fades for many due to T/AAS abuse which erodes SHBG over time (there’s probably a bunch of factors in the erosion of that honeymoon phase). You don’t see SHBG increase over time with with exogenous T use. We still don’t understand the full roles of fT/TT and relative impacts which are coupled with SHBG.

SteveCleves

"You can try this experiment yourself by keeping your TRT dose constant and drop SHBG with another medication like oxandrolone/etc. Now compare your pre and post TT/ fT levels using accurate TT/fT methods."

Well, experiment done lol

Thanks readalot, supremely helpful as always!

T

tareload

"You can try this experiment yourself by keeping your TRT dose constant and drop SHBG with another medication like oxandrolone/etc. Now compare your pre and post TT/ fT levels using accurate TT/fT methods."

Well, experiment done lol

Thanks readalot, supremely helpful as always!
Sure thing. I understand few get this but I was really dissapointed in Andrew and Peter Attia. These are not dumb guys. Good thing we have @Cataceous here.

1673039704685.png

Thumbs down.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Thanks to you they ain't expensive! Unreal prices at Discounted Labs!
Thank you. I hardly make any margin on this test, to be honest. But testosterone and ultrasensitive estradiol are the two main tests that help people choose Discounted Labs over my larger competitors.

T

tareload

Thank you. I hardly make any margin on this test, to be honest. But testosterone and ultrasensitive estradiol are the two main tests that help people choose Discounted Labs over my larger competitors.

I can tell. Let me send you a contribution for missed margin. You rock Brother Nelson!!

This price is nuts. Then add the EM discount...just does not compute. You are one of the Good Guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveCleves

Sure thing. I understand few get this but I was really dissapointed in Andrew and Peter Attia. These are not dumb guys. Good thing we have @Cataceous here.
I know. I have been trying to expunge bro-science from my mind. Hearing Attia, whom I love, say it reinforced what I thought wasn't bro-science.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me