What causes heart disease?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
Of course, by heart disease I mean the thickenings and narrowings in the larger arteries in the body (atherosclerotic plaques). I am also focussing almost entirely on the arteries supplying blood to the heart (coronary arteries), and the main arteries that supply blood to the brain (carotid arteries).

Whilst atherosclerotic plaques can develop in other arteries that supply, for example, the kidneys, or the bowels, problems here are generally less common, and less severe – although not always. In general, however, the main killers in ‘heart disease’ are heart attacks and strokes (not all strokes, only the most common form of stroke, an ischaemic stroke). So, at the risk of becoming over-pedantic, and simultaneously sloppily inaccurate, I am calling heart disease Cardiovascular Disease (CVD), and looking at heart attacks and strokes.

With that out of the way, what causes cardiovascular disease (CVD)? Whilst it took me only a few days of research, many years ago, to realise that the diet-heart/cholesterol hypothesis was clearly nonsense. It has taken over thirty years to work out what is actually going on. In truth I could not truly progress until it suddenly dawned on me that I should not be looking for causes. For that is a mugs game.

Once you start looking for causes, you find that there is almost nothing that a human can ingest, or do, that has not been claimed to be a cause of CVD, or a cure for CVD. In many cases both… simultaneously. In 1981 a paper was published in the journal Atherosclerosis which outlined several hundred possible ‘factors’ involved in causing or preventing CVD. Today, if you hit Google, or Pubmed, I can guarantee that you could find several thousand different factors. If, that is, you could be bothered.

If you could be bothered, what could you possibly make of ten thousand different things involved in CVD in one way or another? Can they all be true risk factors? Some of them are certainly only associations, not causes. A few are simply statistical aberrations, found in one study and contradicted in another. Even removing them, there are so many, so very very many. Pick your favourite and trumpet it to the world. Vitamin K, Vitamin D, coffee, leafy green vegetables, omega 3 fatty acids, intermediate chain monounsaturated fats, HDL raising agents, selenium, lowering homocysteine…. on and on it goes.

Is there any other hypothesis where you have to fit in ten thousand different factors? No, there is not. Yet no one has been put off identifying more and more things. This is why, I believe, we have such a terrible mess. I amuse myself sometimes looking at the knots the cholesterol hypothesis ties itself into to.

Just to give one example. We have had ‘good’ cholesterol and ‘bad’ cholesterol for some time now. More recently we have ‘bad good’ cholesterol (raised HDL increasing CVD risk during the menopause), and ‘good bad’ cholesterol (light and fluffy LDL that protects against CVD). Now, that’s what I call a non-disprovable hypothesis. A risk factor that can be good, or bad. Or ‘Good bad’ and ‘bad good’.

Whilst contemplating such nonsense it came to me, in a moment of the blindingly obvious, that in order to understand CVD I had to move away from trying to fit ten thousand factors into the biggest intellectual jigsaw known to man, and move on. I had to know what the actual process is. What is actually happening in the arteries.

Once you start to look at CVD through this window, you suddenly realise that very little is ever written on this topic. The world famous cardiology bible ‘Braunwald’s Heart Disease’ is virtually silent on the matter. Or at least it was when I looked through it a few years ago.

In a massive book on heart disease, the process of CVD development is covered in less than half a page. The cholesterol hypothesis itself is usually left completely unexplained. Or there are gaping holes, and bits that you just have to take on faith. Raised LDL leaks/travels/gets into the artery wall where it creates inflammation and plaques develop. The end.

Then you start to ask, so why do plaques never develop in veins? Same structure as arteries, same level of LDL. Why do plaques never develop in the blood vessels in the lungs (pulmonary arteries and veins?). What has oxidised LDL got to do with it? Where does oxidation occur? How does LDL leak into coronary arteries, and carotid arteries, but cannot leak into arteries within the brain itself?

Questions, questions, questions and almost no decent answers. There is a kind of collective brouhaha noise with a lot of ‘well it just does’ thrown in when you start to ask. ‘Explain again, how does LDL get into the arterial wall. Each step please?’. You are usually met with perfect anti-Popparin logic. We know that raised cholesterol causes heart disease, so it must get into the arterial wall using some mechanism or other. And look, there is cholesterol in atherosclerotic plaques. So it must get through.

Of course, it is true you can find cholesterol in atherosclerotic plaques. No-one is going to deny that. But you can also find, for example, red blood cells (RBCs). Now, you might be able to explain how LDL can pass through endothelial cells (the cells that line the arteries) in some fashion. Although I would argue that, if so, why does LDL not pass through endothelial cells in veins. And why cannot it pass through, or between, endothelial cells in the arteries with the brain?

LDL molecules, after all, are minute in comparison to an endothelial cell. However, RBCs and endothelial cells are pretty much the same size. So, please try to explain to me how a RBC finds itself within the artery wall, underneath the endothelium? Try getting one cell, virtually the same size as another, to pass through it. A very clever trick indeed.

Then, if you start exploring further, you find that the cholesterol you find in atherosclerotic plaques almost certainly comes from the cholesterol rich membranes of RBCs.

The view that apoptotic macrophages (dead macrophages) are the predominant source of cholesterol in progressive (atherosclerotic) lesions is being challenged as new lines of evidence suggest erythrocyte membranes contribute to a significant amount of free cholesterol in plaques.’1

Oh look, it seems that the cholesterol does not come from LDL. Anyway, I am jumping ahead of myself here, and getting dragged back into explaining why the cholesterol hypothesis is nonsense. Which is playing the game on the opponents’ pitch, under their rules.

The simple fact is that, to replace the Cholesterol hypothesis, there is a need to come up with something better, which actually fits all the facts. That, of course, is rather trickier as – boy – there are a lot of facts. Also, some of them may seem utterly disconnected.

My simple credo is that, if your hypothesis cannot explain everything about CVD you cannot explain anything. Attempting to do otherwise means that you are left suggesting that there are many different causes, and many different processes, all of which end up causing CVD through non-connected mechanisms. Well if that is true, then we just have to give up. Smoking causes CVD like this, LDL causes it like that, diabetes in a completely different way.

This is why I get so frustrated when people simply shrug their shoulders in a debate on CVD, and retreat to the position of inarguable logic when they tell me that CVD is ‘mutifactorial.’ To which I agree that of course it is bleeding mutlfactorial (as are all diseases). But that the statement itself is meaningless, unless you can then tell me how all the ‘multi’ factors fit together within a single, unified process.

In short, with CVD, if you are going to explain it, you need to be able to explain how, for example, the following factors increase risk, and through what single mechanism, or process. [This is not an exhaustive list by any means, but these are all definite, and potent, causes]:

• Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Steroid use
  • Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
  • Smoking
  • Kawasaki’s disease
  • Use of Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen and suchlike.
  • Being a deep coal miner – especially in Russia
  • Using cocaine
  • Getting older
  • Getting up in the morning – especially on Mondays
  • Type II diabetes
  • Raised fibrinogen level
  • Cushing’s disease
  • Air pollution
  • Acute physical or psychological stress
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • Avastin – a cancer drug
Looking at one of these risk factors, System Lupus Erythematosus. Young women with this condition have, in some studies, an increased risk of CVD of 5,500%. Compare that with, for example, raised LDL. Even if you believe that it raises the risk of CVD, which is debatable, the increase in risk (as defined by mainstream research) is 66% for a 3mmol/l increase in the LDL level2. Changing the LDL level by this much takes you from low risk, to Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH).

If we accept that the 66% figure is, indeed, correct, we can see that SLE increases the risk 83 times more than having a very high LDL level. Or, to frame this differently. SLE increases the risk of CVD 8,300% more. Clearly, therefore, SLE has far more to tell us about what really causes CVD than raised LDL ever could. Deep coal miners in Russia have their final, fatal, heart attack aged 42, on average. Children with Kawasaki’s disease can die of a heart attack aged 3.

Here, therefore, are the real causes of CVD. Super accelerated CVD with death at a young age. No need for statistical games. This is the where the answers truly lie. Now comes the difficult bit. How can you fit them all together within a single disease process, without finding anything contradictory?

Ladies and gentlemen, it took me thirty years.

References
1: Free cholesterol in atherosclerotic plaques: Where does it come from? | Request PDF

2: JBS3 Risk Calculator

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Jinzang

Epidemiological research over the last 50 years has discovered a plethora of biomarkers (including molecules, traits or other diseases) that associate with coronary artery disease (CAD) risk. Even the strongest association detected in such observational research precludes drawing conclusions about the causality underlying the relationship between biomarker and disease. Mendelian randomization (MR) studies can shed light on the causality of associations, i.e whether, on the one hand, the biomarker contributes to the development of disease or, on the other hand, the observed association is confounded by unrecognized exogenous factors or due to reverse causation, i.e. due to the fact that prevalent disease affects the level of the biomarker. However, conclusions from a MR study are based on a number of important assumptions. A prerequisite for such studies is that the genetic variant employed affects significantly the biomarker under investigation but has no effect on other phenotypes that might confound the association between the biomarker and disease. If this biomarker is a true causal risk factor for CAD, genotypes of the variant should associate with CAD risk in the direction predicted by the association of the biomarker with CAD. Given a random distribution of exogenous factors in individuals carrying respective genotypes, groups represented by the genotypes are highly similar except for the biomarker of interest. Thus, the genetic variant converts into an unconfounded surrogate of the respective biomarker. This scenario is nicely exemplified for LDL cholesterol. Almost every genotype found to increase LDL cholesterol level by a sufficient amount has also been found to increase CAD risk. Pending a number of conditions that needed to be fulfilled by the genetic variant under investigation (e.g. no pleiotropic effects) and the experimental set-up of the study, LDL cholesterol can be assumed to act as the functional component that links genotypes and CAD risk and, more importantly, it can be assumed that any modulation of LDL cholesterol—by whatever mechanism—would have similar effects on disease risk.

Mendelian randomization studies in coronary artery disease

Stukaz

As steroid use is listed as one of the causal reasons for CVD risk , is TRT in general also a risk ? What supplements in addition to K2 would stabilise endothelial function as well as stabilise arterial plaque ? Appreciate your comments

Vince

Super Moderator
As steroid use is listed as one of the causal reasons for CVD risk , is TRT in general also a risk ? What supplements in addition to K2 would stabilise endothelial function as well as stabilise arterial plaque ? Appreciate your comments
Don’t spike your insulin levels.

Jungle Cruiser

Thank you for your research. While controversial, and perhaps scoffed by many, for several years I have been following (to some extent) a Linus Pauling protocol (Vit C, Lysine, Proline, GTE). The research regarding lipoprotein(a) makes sense to me. In addition, I have also been devoted to AAKG and Citrulline Malate since my mid 30s (that is, almost 30 years ago). I also use supplements (like Betaine, Vit B, etc) in an attempt to maintain healthy homocysteine levels and address methylation issues, and I also use Vit K2. Why? Well, my beloved father (what and awesome guy he was) had heart disease, and he had his first heart attack at 39. He ultimately died from a stroke in his early 70s. So, at the suggestion of my MD - a few years ago I went in for a chest scan. My MD called me and said a had a "zero" test result. Now, I will not say that anything I am doing caused me to have anything other than sort of expensive urine, but I believe it has had a positive impact. Can I say with certainty? No. Can I say with a strong supposition? You bet. Best wishes.

Last edited:

sokaiya

If LDL reacts with sugar it becomes oxidized, and now this LDL becomes somewhat demented and has nowhere to go because it can't dock anywhere. The issue is when you have a small dense LDL not the regular LDL. These broken/demented LDL boats are floating around and eventually get picked up by the arterial wall. Then inflammation comes in and does its job. Then the white blood cells come in and form this foamy puffy area and that's what's going to give you a heart attack or a stroke not the LDL itself.

The way to properly sort this out would be with a fractionation test. Or just take the standard lipid profile and analyze that: E.g. if HDL is within a decent range that's good, and triglycerides are low, that's also good, and if your Hba1C is reasonable like <5.6, then you can almost guarantee that LDL is high because it's good LDL.

At the end of the day, CVD is Multi-factorial. To think that there is ever a SINGLE cause for anything is myopically stupid.

Stukaz

Thank you for your research. While controversial, and perhaps scoffed by many, for several years I have been following (to some extent) a Linus Pauling protocol (Vit C, Lysine, Proline, GTE). The research regarding lipoprotein(a) makes sense to me. In addition, I have also been devoted to AAKG and Citrulline Malate since my mid 30s (that is, almost 30 years ago). I also use supplements (like Betaine, Vit B, etc) in an attempt to maintain healthy homocysteine levels and address methylation issues, and I also use Vit K2. Why? Well, my beloved father (what and awesome guy he was) had heart disease, and he had his first heart attack at 39. He ultimately died from a stroke in his early 70s. So, at the suggestion of my MD - a few years ago I went in for a chest scan. My MD called me and said a had a "zero" test result. Now, I will not say that anything I am doing caused me to have anything other than sort of expensive urine, but I believe it has had a positive impact. Can I say with certainty? No. Can I say with a strong supposition? You bet. Best wishes.
G

UCFguy01

I've read a lot of research suggesting insulin resistance(Diabetes) could be a major cause of CVD. Sugar, bread, pasta, and other non-real food seems to be a major cause.

…….not butter and bacon as previously thought.

Guided_by_Voices

@Stukaz , regarding "steroid", I believe that is referring to cortico-steroids, not anabolic steroids (although in excess they could create issues as well). As Dr. Kendrick explains in his series, strong anti-inflammatories interfere with the process of healing damage to blood vessels and have a very pro-CVD affect. I seem to remember prednisone being one of the worst.

I strongly suggest people interested in this topic read his entire series of blog posts including the comments. It has a lot of great insight I have not seen anywhere else.

Also, note that the top priority is to prevent heart attacks and strokes, not just CVD. These can occur in people with very little "heart disease", and optimal nutrition and avoiding chronic activation of the sympathetic nervous system seem to be strong candidates to minimize heart attacks.

Stukaz

Thanks for your advice
@Stukaz , regarding "steroid", I believe that is referring to cortico-steroids, not anabolic steroids (although in excess they could create issues as well). As Dr. Kendrick explains in his series, strong anti-inflammatories interfere with the process of healing damage to blood vessels and have a very pro-CVD affect. I seem to remember prednisone being one of the worst.

I strongly suggest people interested in this topic read his entire series of blog posts including the comments. It has a lot of great insight I have not seen anywhere else.

Also, note that the top priority is to prevent heart attacks and strokes, not just CVD. These can occur in people with very little "heart disease", and optimal nutrition and avoiding chronic activation of the sympathetic nervous system seem to be strong candidates to minimize heart attacks.
thanks

UCFguy01

Speaking of CVD, there is a test you can get that insurance doesn't pay for. It's called a Calcium test or CAC score test. It's a CT scan that takes 5 minutes and costs about $200. It will tell you about any blockages in your main arteries. If you get a score of 0(zero), it's basically a 15 year warranty that you won't have any major heart issues(unless you have something else like an electrical problem).

I myself have cholesterol that is high. High LDL, HDL, and triglycerides. I was a little worried because I've pretty much always had high cholesterol since I first had it measured in my 20's. I'm 42 now. I came back with a zero score.

My heart doctor said my heart and arteries are perfect. As someone said ealier, CVD is multi-factorial. My super high cholesterol in theory should be affecting my heart and arteries but it isn't. A guy I know in his 50's has had low cholesterol his whole life and has had 2 heart attacks. There's more to it than just cholesterol.

Vince

Super Moderator

Guided_by_Voices

@UCFguy01 , again, read Dr. Kendrick's series. He recommends against CAC scans and raises a number of problems with that test. Also, it shows fairly late stage disease so a low score, especially at a young age as Peter Attia has emphasized, does not mean you're necessarily on the best path.

Jungle Cruiser

Speaking of CVD, there is a test you can get that insurance doesn't pay for. It's called a Calcium test or CAC score test. It's a CT scan that takes 5 minutes and costs about $200. It will tell you about any blockages in your main arteries. If you get a score of 0(zero), it's basically a 15 year warranty that you won't have any major heart issues(unless you have something else like an electrical problem).

I myself have cholesterol that is high. High LDL, HDL, and triglycerides. I was a little worried because I've pretty much always had high cholesterol since I first had it measured in my 20's. I'm 42 now. I came back with a zero score.

My heart doctor said my heart and arteries are perfect. As someone said ealier, CVD is multi-factorial. My super high cholesterol in theory should be affecting my heart and arteries but it isn't. A guy I know in his 50's has had low cholesterol his whole life and has had 2 heart attacks. There's more to it than just cholesterol.
This is the same test that I referred to in my post above. Thank you for your post.

Gman86

High HDL and high LDL is what u want, so ur good there (as long as u don’t have insulin resistance). But u definitely want to try and get ur triglycerides down.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me