Trazodone: Common sleep drug is little-known antidepressant

sammmy

I take Zolpidem about every other day - it gives me 6 hours of sleep. Falling asleep on it is sudden and effortless like turning off a light switch and I never remember the moment of falling asleep, nor I remember any dreams on Zolpidem. Obviously it impacts memory formation while the drug is active during the night. However, my memory formation during the day when the drug concentration falls to negligible levels is not affected.

On days when I don't take Zolpidem, I have trouble falling asleep and the night is broken into a sequence of several disconnected dreams with waking up in between. I also do not seem to fall into a very deep dreaming, my logical sense remains turned on during the dream and I am able to evaluate the dream and often direct it in the way I want - something untypical for a real dreaming state.

Vince

Super Moderator
I have several patients on Trazodone 100mg and then I'll put a topper on like hydroxyzine 25 or the 50 mg to help them get to sleep and stay asleep and for many it works. I do not prescribe men more than a 150 mg of Trazodone because I've seen a number of cases of priapism and I want to avoid that.
Trazodone and priapism?

Sides

Trazodone and priapism?
"And some evidence suggests that it can cause priapism, or persistent erection, a medical emergency that may require surgery and can lead to impotence if not treated promptly."

LerxstM4

How often do use Zolpidem and when you do, do you sleep eight hours question
Hey Vince, I take it every night around the same time (9:40ish) and usually turn the lights out at 10:15. I sleep soundly all night and normal wake time is 5:30ish.

Not quite 8 hours but I also don't feel tired during the say and never ever take naps. Im pretty regimented.

On weekends I take it later and sleep a little later, depending on what time the sun starts poking through the closed shutters.

LerxstM4

Hey Vince, I take it every night around the same time (9:40ish) and usually turn the lights out at 10:15. I sleep soundly all night and normal wake time is 5:30ish.

Not quite 8 hours but I also don't feel tired during the say and never ever take naps. Im pretty regimented.

On weekends I take it later and sleep a little later, depending on what time the sun starts poking through the closed shutters.
---I actually thought this was in reply to my earlier post so I spoke out of turn.

DorianGray

Trazodone and priapism?
I saw one paper long ago about it possibly increasing libido (can't recall the reference) but never heard anything about priapism either. But, pulled this up just now:

"... but the severe priapism, which happens in perhaps one in 6,000 to 10,000 patients, was more common among the young. Some older folks on trazodone might find a little increase in sexual function, but most did not..." (Is Trazodone the New Brain Wonder Drug?)

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
I saw one paper long ago about it possibly increasing libido (can't recall the reference) but never heard anything about priapism either. But, pulled this up just now:

"... but the severe priapism, which happens in perhaps one in 6,000 to 10,000 patients, was more common among the young. Some older folks on trazodone might find a little increase in sexual function, but most did not..." (Is Trazodone the New Brain Wonder Drug?)
Interesting find. I tried it once for sleep but it left me feeling foggy the next day. I never tried it again, maybe I should.

DorianGray

Interesting find. I tried it once for sleep but it left me feeling foggy the next day. I never tried it again, maybe I should.
Well, if you have any left, and don't need to be sharp out of the gate, what the heck. Too bad we don't know how long they took it before effects were noted as such. Probably harmless with normal dose in a healthy person in any case. Good luck but be careful.

Vince

Super Moderator
Well, if you have any left, and don't need to be sharp out of the gate, what the heck. Too bad we don't know how long they took it before effects were noted as such. Probably harmless with normal dose in a healthy person in any case. Good luck but be careful.
When I do decide to try Trazodone again, I would cut the pill in quarters. I would try it at a very low dose and see what benefit I get if any.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors