Not Gaining Muscle Mass, Not Losing Fat - What's Up?

Buy Lab Tests Online

UltraNalu

My goal: lean muscle mass & strength gains.
Reality: I've gained 3.6 lbs of lean muscle mass since Nov.2021 - that's less than a 1 lb per month.

I started TRT in Nov 2021. (This is currently near the end of Feb 2022 - so about 4 months of TRT) Test. Cyp injections 35mg x2 weekly with Anastrozole 0.125 x2 weekly. Initially I felt better emotionally and physically - and seemed to be stronger in the weight room and even noticed improved erection strength. But by December I was not seeing any significant muscle mass increases, and I was not losing any fat. I felt like there was no difference between being on TRT and being natural (with low T).

Followed up w/ my nurse practitioner doing blood tests in January and she changed Test. Cyp. to 33mg x3 weekly, and Anastrazole 0.125 x3 weekly. BUT By early February - I still hadn't noticed any muscle mass gains, and I was still NOT losing fat.

I stopped taking Anastrazole 2 weeks ago after reading several articles & journals here about issues with AI. I've increased to 40mg of Test. Cyp. x 3 weekly. But almost 2 weeks later, I still have the same results: nothing to show for it.

I monitor my weight & fat stats daily. I do 2-3 high intensity weight training routines (heavy weight, super slow reps) weekly spending about 25 minutes in each session. I do intermittent fasting daily for a minimum of 16 hours with a goal of 20-24 hours (I have type II diabetes). I eat a diet of mostly good fats and protein with limited complex carbs.

Because of diabetes I went from a very fat 240 lbs down to a skinny fat 170 lbs in a matter of months. And my main goal with TRT is to put on as much lean muscle mass is I can, so the lean muscle mass can help regulate my blood sugar levels. I had become so weak from diabetes and I just hated that wimpy weak feeling. Plus I really want to get muscled up similar to how I was back in my college years (195lbs 6% body fat - that's probably not realistic at 52, I understand).

I am almost 52 y/o. I'm 5'11" and weigh 195 currently with about 16% body fat. (I'd like to be 195 lbs at about 8-9% body fat). I've been working out since my diabetes diagnosis for about 18 months (starting with a Bowflex, and finally to free weights when I could squat more than the Bowflex could provide). So I've managed to put back about 25 lbs of weight - but it is not all muscle by any means.

Why am I not seeing significant strength gains and muscle mass gains on TRT? Why am I NOT losing any fat? In fact, I gained 1% (during the holidays of course). But I expect to see routine gains in muscle and loss in fat.

FRUSTRATED: at this point I'm wondering why am I spending all this money on TRT and lab tests and consultations, to see almost zero improvement. Any advice from anyone out there?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
What body composition method did you use?

What city are you at?

Have you considered hiring a trainer?

What are your total and free T?

I am glad you got off anastrozole.

UltraNalu

I read all those articles - it's the reason I realized I didn't need to be on anastrazole. Thanks for sharing all those, btw.

I have a Renpho bluetooth scale and that is what I've been using for over a year. I'm sure it's not as accurate as other methods, but I use it consistently, so it is fine for establishing a baseline, tracking changes and trends.

I live in the rural Missouri Ozarks. I'm way out in the boondocks.

Not considered hiring a trainer. Not feasible for my location. Plus I know how to do strength training properly - I've lifted since high school. But as an old man, I recognize the importance of high intensity training instead of the traditional 3 sets of 12 reps and spending an hour each session. After college I switched to HIT, and gained about 25 pounds of muscle in less than 8 months.

Total T: 332
Free T: 6.4

BigTex

In training with weight we are constantly going through the process of adding a stimulus in order to break homeostasis in the muscle cell and then forcing adaptation. We have found that by changing the variables in weight training frequently we can continually force the muscle cell to adapt to a new stimulus and grow. This principal involves constantly changing the acute variables in your workout such as number of sets, number of reps, exercise choice, exercise order, plane of movement and the length of rest periods. Again, this alternation is designed to prevent you from getting in a rut and slowing or stalling your progress.

HIT is a good tool but after a while the body adapts, goes into homeostasis and no longer is forced to grow to adapt. That being said, you need to change the variables about every two weeks or so and see if that helps.

Also, are you eating enough calories to support growth? It takes a minimum of 500 extra calories above basal metabolism, the thermic effect of food and your exercise needs to grow. If you don't get this you can even cause atrophy of the muscle you have. These intermittent fasting diets are great but they are not going to provide you with enough calories to support growth unless you eat like a pig in that short time you have to actually eat.

Protein wise, are you getting enough? Idealistically you need a minimum of 1g/lb/bw. If you are really trying to push yourself with heavy weight you may even need 1.5g/lb. Remember protein has a huge effect on the thermic effect of food and can greatly increase your metabolism.

I am certainly not a doctor but have been in the weight game for a long time, a total serum testosterone level of 332 is not enough to gain much muscle. Mine recently dropped to 320 and I had a fit. I also lost strength and size in the process. I am usually in the 800's-900's at 65 years old. Hopefully Nelson will advise you more on that subject! IMHO you may need more test/wk.

Last, you say you have type II diabetes. Are you taking any medication for it or just controlling with exercise and diet? Remember that to get growth you need to increase the size of type II muscle fibers. These particular fibers are very much dependent on glucose for energy and growth. Might be you are not eating enough carbs.

Last edited:

Warrior

I read all those articles - it's the reason I realized I didn't need to be on anastrazole. Thanks for sharing all those, btw.

I have a Renpho bluetooth scale and that is what I've been using for over a year. I'm sure it's not as accurate as other methods, but I use it consistently, so it is fine for establishing a baseline, tracking changes and trends.

I live in the rural Missouri Ozarks. I'm way out in the boondocks.

Not considered hiring a trainer. Not feasible for my location. Plus I know how to do strength training properly - I've lifted since high school. But as an old man, I recognize the importance of high intensity training instead of the traditional 3 sets of 12 reps and spending an hour each session. After college I switched to HIT, and gained about 25 pounds of muscle in less than 8 months.

Total T: 332
Free T: 6.4
Rural yes, but please dont say you know how to weight train properly because you trained in high school. As a trainer for 31yrs, and the way I make a living, you could do alot better with your current routine. As with the mechanic, lawyer, or plumber, we all have a profession for a reason.

Systemlord

Because of diabetes I went from a very fat 240 lbs down to a skinny fat 170 lbs in a matter of months.
I'm a diabetic and is why I'm on TRT, (Jatenzo) and struggle to keep vitamin D levels elevated without supplementation, vitamin D is usually low in men with diabetes.

Low vitamin D would present with muscle weakness and loss of muscle mass and muscle atrophy.

Also when I took anastrozole years ago my belly fat increased substantially and quickly!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me