Newly Observed Interference of Oral Biotin with the Free Testosterone Assay?

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Newly Observed Interference of Oral Biotin with the Free Testosterone Assay? In a Woman with Postmenopausal Virilization (2022)
Rafael Caputi, MD and Alejandro Ayala, MD

Introduction

Approximately 15-20% of US adults take supraphysiologic doses of biotin-containing supplements for common hair and skin problems. When consumed in high doses, competitive and non-competitive immunoassays that use the streptavidin-biotin binding complex can skew results to be either falsely high or falsely low.

Case Presentation

A 74 y/o Caucasian female who initially presented to her primary care physician concerned for alopecia with frontal balding, acne, and moderate hirsutism. Her total testosterone was elevated with 146 ng/dL (7.0–40 ng/dL) with a perplexing normal free testosterone of 4.2 pg/mL (<4.2 pg/mL) in the context of a normal SHBG of 48 nmol/L (14–73 nmol/L). Androstenedione was elevated with 161 ng/dL (17–99 ng/dL) with a normal CMP, prolactin, DHEA-s, and 17-hydroxyprogesterone. Transvaginal US was normal. The size of the ovaries was consistent with menopause. Abdominal and pelvic MRI showed normal adrenal glands and ovaries. She was taking between 1 to 3mg of biotin per day. Biotin was discontinued. Repeat testing revealed an elevated free testosterone of 12.7 pg/mL (0.2 - 3.7 pg/mL) along with an elevated total testosterone of 120 ng/dL (2 - 45 ng/dL) and a normal SHBG of 39 nmol/L (14–73 nmol/L) which was now consistent with her clinical picture of postmenopausal hyperandrogenism. Bilateral laparoscopic salpingo-oophorectomy was recommended to exclude an androgen-secreting ovarian tumor or hyperthecosis. Testing was then repeated while taking biotin which again manifested a normal free testosterone of 2.8 pg/mL (<4.2 pg/mL) with an elevated total testosterone of 121.4 ng/dL (7.0–40 ng/dL) and a normal SHBG of 45 nmol/L (14–73 nmol/L).

Discussion

Biotin may interfere with total testosterone levels, but little is known about its effects on free testosterone. We report the first case of biotin interference on the free testosterone assay, resulting in falsely low values demonstrated on two different occasions, that improved following the withdrawal of this widely used vitamin supplement. Laboratories use a direct analog enzyme immunoassay to calculate the free testosterone however its calibration and specificity have been debatable, and it is still unclear how biotin can affect it. It is critical that laboratorians and clinicians are aware of this biotin interference so that misdiagnosis and inappropriate treatment can be prevented.

Attachments

• bvac150.1426.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Immunoasssay-based hormone tests should not be used for women at all!

We know biotin affects immunoassay based hormone tests. This case only shows lack of clinician knowledge.

I would like to see data on thyroid testing though. The current tests available commercially are all inmunoassay-based.

T

tareload

I would like to see data on thyroid testing though. The current tests available commercially are all inmunoassay-based.

1673534345229.png

fT3 and fT4 via LC/MS+dialysis is available but may take some effort to get your provider to order.

T

tareload

While there are LC/MS+ED methods commercially available for fT3 and fT4, what to do about TSH?

With respect to TSH and biotin interference...

1673535083683.png

1673535140386.png

1673535160841.png

Excellent improvements made.

1673535192524.png

1673535277414.png

T

tareload

Wow! Thanks, @readalot for doing this wonderful research for me.
Hopefully the newer gen TSH immunoassay machines/techniques get adopted quickly. Labcorp TSH (third gen) still has the biotin warning.

1673539749040.png

Quest similar general warning but they don't include TSH in their interference list??:

1673539573597.png

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tareload

Wow! Thanks, @readalot for doing this wonderful research for me.

Most fT4 immunoassays are "wrong".

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching