Lipid panel questions

Buy Lab Tests Online

sh1973

I wanted to get some thoughts on my most recent lipid panel. I’ve never smoked, drink occasionally, not overweight, exercise every day and the only medication I take is testosterone. My docs trying to push a statin on me but I’m really weary of those considering the potential side effects. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• 84A2C007-A193-4470-91F8-254A063C91BA.png
    84A2C007-A193-4470-91F8-254A063C91BA.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 123
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
Most preventive cardiologist that I know. Would not prescribe a statin if you do not have any coronary artery calcified plaque growth. A simple carotid artery mri for calcium growth, would answer this for you. Something you could mention to your doctor. A cholesterol statin would help calcify soft plaque that you may have in your arteries. If you don't have any, why use a statin.

Golfboy307

SH,

Did you have them run your LDL - P (Particle count)? That is much more predicative of plaque than the calculated LDL C. Now they tend to move in tandem, but it is worth a look. Your overall LDL/HDL ratio isn't too bad. But I am with Vince, you should check to see if you have plaque before you start a statin. I have had success with Red Yeast Rice and Kyolic Garlic lowering my LDL (under doctor supervision). I went from a 110 LDL C to around 75. However, RYR contains one of the active chemical compounds found in statins, just in a much lower amount. Call it "statin light".

mooseman109

sh1973, I concur with Vince, Get your calcium test done and evaluate from there. A year ago I had a heart attack while training for the murph workout. I am in good shape, I did/do not eat bad and workout regularly. I was cruising along at 7mph on tread mill when I begin to feel the effects. Total cholesterol was alway 150 is, LDL were alway mid 70's, triglycerides 80's. Yes I did the little particle test all was in normal range. No other meds other than Test. I have family history. No one ever suggested a calcium test, nor a statin. Fortunately I was working out at the hgymon the hospital campus literally 2 parking lots away. Dr said if I would have been much further likely would not have survived. 100% occluded LAD.
There are a lot of folks on here that say statins are the devil incarnate. I can tell you after what I went through, that I wish I had been suggested to go one a few years back rather than have the dead spot on the rear wall of my left ventricle that I have now. SO my very strong advice would be get that calcium score done and then if you need a statin, do it and tell everybody who says it is bad to kiss your ass. If I had it to do again, for sure I would go that route.

Thx! I don´t know how I could persued my doc for a test like this. Though I have hypercholesterolemia and without medication there no way in heaven I can have levels within normal range. Basically I only need to drink water to have high levels. I had a prostate scan and what the urologist could detect was some calcium deposits. I don´t know if that is indicative or not

mooseman109

I will check into getting this done. Moose man did you have any symptoms prior to this episode?

No I did not. In fact I did an echo/stress/echo just 8 months prior to get a baseline as I knew of the family history. They had to get me running at 7mph at 15% incline to get my heart rate up to max. The test results came back with no issues! So no high labs and a previous echo showed no worries. I did not have the calcium test done, that likely would have shown something. To the point my primary care dr apologized for not recommending it. Get it done. To me it should be part of check up on guys over 50, especially of family history is there

Golfboy307

Mooseman,

Sounds like you didn't have any of the typical markers for CVD. Did your doctors every look at some of the newer risk factors: Lp(a), inflammation, gum disease, homocysteine etc? Usually there is SOMETHING present that is causing your arteries to create plaque. Its one thing to have a family history, but usually those genes translate into a physical process in the body. Of course medicine does not have the final word on CVD yet.

Glad you are doing well. My dad died in his early 50's from an MI. He had all of the risk factors, plus smoking. No heart disease on my mom's side. I am a mixed bag genetically. I had a calcium score about 12 years ago at age 40. Zero at the time. I need to get another one.

mooseman109

Golfboy307, LP(a), inflamation and homocysteine we did a couple of times. Last one was probably 12-18 months prior upon my Defy intake. Nothing was out of the ordinary. You are correct, CVD is still not completely understood. I have no w know, due to dye test during MI, that I have 6 small areas of plaque build up in various areas of the heart. None are considered in fatal areas. So my point to OP is check the everything y au can and do not be afraid of statin therapy if need be. I have zero side effects from it at max dose of Crestor.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me