Cracking the Code of Cartilage Regeneration Failure

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a widespread condition with significant impact, driven by cartilage injuries leading to OA progression. Effective cartilage regeneration methods are crucial, but current treatments lack reliability. This is due to a fundamental lack of understanding of cartilage regeneration failure. Research into these mechanisms is vital for patient treatment decisions and future therapy development. The review examines hypotheses behind cartilage regeneration failure and associated therapeutic strategies, offering insights into current and potential OA treatments.

Key Takeaways:

Cellular Failure

• Low cell density and low proliferative capacity of mature chondrocytes are believed to be the main factors limiting cartilage's regenerative potential.
  • Articular chondrocytes' cell density and in vitro proliferative capacity decrease with age, particularly after 30 to 40 years.
  • Cartilage cell density also decreases in post-traumatic osteoarthritis.
  • Chondrocyte apoptosis is associated with cartilage degeneration, but it's unclear whether it is a cause or result of the disease.
  • Smaller mammals tend to have higher chondrocyte density and better cartilage regeneration capacity compared to larger mammals.
  • Healthy and osteoarthritic cartilage contains cells with progenitor-like characteristics, which have high proliferation capacity and chondrogenic potential.
  • Progenitor-like cells, despite their potential, generally fail to efficiently regenerate cartilage defects.
  • Strategies targeting the delivery or recruitment of competent cells into cartilage defects are supported for enabling cartilage regeneration.

Mechanical Failure
  • Mechanical changes within a joint contribute to cartilage loss through trauma or chronic degeneration.
  • These changes alter the load-bearing contact area of the joint, leading to abnormal joint loading, release of alarmins, activation of fibroblasts and macrophages, and production of pro-inflammatory mediators, causing cartilage injury.
  • Pathological changes involve breakdown of the extracellular matrix, fibrillation of the collagen network, and synovial inflammation.
  • Abnormal loading patterns can be worsened by changes in the subchondral bone, reducing the regenerative capacity of cartilage.
  • Age-related metabolic changes and stiffness in the cartilage matrix further compound the cumulative mechanical changes, resulting in larger biological abnormalities.
  • Preventing subchondral bone sclerosis could protect the regenerative potential of pathological cartilage.
  • Chondrocyte response to mechanical conditioning depends on factors like loading magnitude, frequency, and duration.
  • Physiological cyclic compression can enhance chondrogenesis, extracellular matrix production, and tissue regeneration.
  • Mechanical stimulation is crucial for activating signaling molecules associated with chondrocyte metabolism and cartilage homeostasis.
  • Different approaches to restoring appropriate mechanical loading have been integrated into cartilage regenerative strategies.

Inflammatory stress
  • Inflammatory stress negatively affects the functioning of chondrocytes and cartilage regeneration.
  • Inflammatory stress impairs chondrocyte viability, matrix synthesis, and promotes matrix catabolism.
  • The inflammatory process involves various inflammatory mediators, making it challenging to target specific signals for therapeutic purposes.
  • Potential therapeutic targets for inhibiting inflammation and promoting cartilage regeneration include protein kinases, sirtuins, neurotrophins, alarmins, pro-inflammatory cytokines, and matrix-degrading enzymes.
  • However, none of these targets have been clinically proven effective for cartilage regeneration.
  • Strategies for addressing cartilage regeneration are depicted in Fig. 3 and discussed in the following section.

Metabolic stress

Articular cartilage is avascular and receives oxygen and nutrients from synovial fluid through diffusion.
Oxygen tension in cartilage is lower than in most tissues, with levels around 5% at the surface and 1% in deeper regions.
Chondrocytes, the cells in cartilage, primarily rely on glycolysis for energy, with only about 25% of energy coming from oxidative phosphorylation.
Proper balance of oxygen and glucose uptake, along with redox control from oxidative phosphorylation, is crucial for chondrogenesis, differentiation, and cell survival.
Chondrocytes use unique molecular mechanisms like hypoxia-inducible factor 1 (HIF1) regulation, mitochondria dynamics, redox control, and metabolic regulation to adapt to the low-oxygen and low-nutrient microenvironment.
Normal mechanical loading maintains metabolic homeostasis, but cartilage damage disrupts oxygen tension control, leading to increased energy demand and compromised microenvironment.
Metabolic shift during cartilage damage involves dysregulated glycolysis, lactate accumulation, acidification, inhibition of matrix synthesis, and cartilage degeneration.
Insufficient oxygen and glucose affect ATP formation, limiting cell function and survival, disrupting mitochondrial homeostasis, and triggering reactive oxygen species (ROS)-induced stress.
ROS-induced stress activates survival pathways like AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and mTOR signaling, as well as cytokine response, affecting matrix remodeling and cell survival.
Chondrocytes can survive acute metabolic changes and return to homeostasis after stress resolution, but extensive cartilage defects lead to irreversible degeneration.
Irreversible effects include a shift from aggrecanase activity to matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) activity, accelerating proteoglycan and collagen type II turnover.
Aging, obesity, and type II diabetes disrupt metabolic homeostasis and negatively impact cartilage regeneration.
Current research explores various approaches and therapeutic solutions to target cartilage metabolism for better regeneration outcomes.

The conclusion emphasizes that multiple hypotheses explain cartilage regeneration failure, leading to degeneration and osteoarthritis. Various stressors are involved, and the review aimed to connect therapeutic strategies with these ideas. However, current treatments haven't consistently achieved full cartilage regeneration, suggesting a need to target different factors as diseases progress. Future trials should focus on specific hypotheses and deepen our understanding of cartilage biology and regeneration failure. Even unsuccessful trials can guide the development of next-gen treatments amid the complex landscape of cartilage regeneration.

Attachments

• s41584-023-00979-5.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 29
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 1 | Postulated mechanisms of cellular-based strategies for cartilage regeneration. The ultimate goal of cell-based strategies for cartilage regeneration is to enrich the density of cells competent in activating or undergoing regeneration. These strategies involve either the recruitment of progenitor cells or the enrichment of chondrocytes. The recruitment strategy involves techniques such as microfracture (to promote recruitment of progenitor cells from the bone marrow to fill the defect) or exosome delivery (to promote the homing of progenitor cells that reside nearby). The recruited progenitor cells promote cartilage regeneration by modulating the inflammatory milieu, by inducing chondrogenesis through paracrine signalling, or by directly differentiating into chondrocytes. The chondrocyte enrichment strategy involves cell-delivery techniques such as autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI) or matrix-assisted autologous chondrocyte implantation (MACI) and the use of agents that target senescence (such as senomorphic and senolytic drugs) to increase the longevity of the chondrocytes. The original version of this figure was created with BioRender.com.
Screenshot (27029).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 2 | Postulated mechanisms of abnormal joint loading aggravating cartilage damage following injury. Mechanical imbalance following injury results in abnormal joint loading forces that activate the osteoclasts to release chemokine signals called alarmins (for example, heat shock proteins (HSPs), IL-33, S100A8, S100A9 and high mobility group box 1 (HMGB1)). These alarmins bind to pattern recognition receptors (PRRs), receptor for advanced glycation endproducts (RAGE) and Toll-like receptor (TLRs) on macrophages, resulting in M1 polarization of macrophages and the subsequent activation of fibroblasts that release pro-inflammatory mediators (such as TNF, carboxypeptidase B2 (CPB2), IL-6, matrix metalloproteinase 3 (MMP3) and MMP13), perpetuating cartilage injury and joint inflammation. The joint realignment and distraction strategies might counteract this cascade by restoring physiological joint loading. The original version of this figure was created with BioRender.com.
Screenshot (27030).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 3 | Inflammatory events involved in cartilage regeneration and associated therapeutic strategies. Inflammation in the joint is a common outcome of several processes including cellular insufficiency, mechanical imbalance or metabolic imbalance, and ultimately prevents cartilage regeneration. Joint inflammation results from chemotaxis of immune cells to the joint and M1 polarization of the macrophages, leading to the activation of fibroblasts through pro-inflammatory cytokines (such as IL-1, IL-6, IL-17 and TNF). These molecules aggravate cartilage damage, for example, through promoting receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB ligand (RANKL)-mediated activation of osteoclasts and the production of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs). Anti-inflammatory strategies are aimed at preventing immune activation through anti-inflammatory pharmaceutical compounds, cell-instructed immunomodulation or genetic modification of cells. The original version of this figure was created with BioRender.com.
Screenshot (27035).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 4 | Strategies for targeting the metabolic changes that negatively affect cartilage regeneration. Metabolic stress in articular cartilage results in reduced oxygen and nutrient availability, as well as increased concentration of reactive oxygen species (ROS). Strategies to restore metabolic homeostasis to aid in cartilage regeneration involve modulation of mitochondrial activity, enzyme inhibition and antioxidant therapies. The original version of this figure was created with BioRender.com.
Screenshot (27036).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 5 | Clinical stage of strategies targeting various hypotheses for why cartilage regeneration fails. Various hypotheses are available to explain why cartilage regeneration fails, as summarized in this Review. A number of strategies that target each of these hypotheses are under investigation and are at different stages of clinical development towards clinical translation, as depicted in this figure. Further information on the individual studies and clinical trials of a given therapeutic strategy, in association with the different hypotheses, can be found in Table 1.
Screenshot (27037).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 6 | Potential entry points and exit strategies relating to cartilage regeneration failure. The various hypotheses for why cartilage fails to regenerate, as summarized in this Review, might have different entry points following cartilage injury. Possible exit strategies for successful cartilage regeneration might involve not only targeting these particular mechanisms but might also depend on the stage of disease progression. Mechanical malalignment and ageing function are potential risk factors that derange joint physiology to make articular cartilage vulnerable to injury. Hence, strategies to exit the cascade of events might initially employ mechanical and anti-senescence therapies. Subsequently, cellular strategies could be introduced to compensate for the reduced density of regeneration-competent cells and metabolic strategies could counteract the associated dysregulated processes that prevent effective cartilage regeneration. At later stages after injury, the lack of resolution of inflammation might require a direct anti-inflammatory intervention
Screenshot (27038).png

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Guided_by_Voices

The thing that jumps out as missing from this analysis is that none of the "strategies" address removing the primary cause of the problem. I tried to find data on the extent of debilitating Osteoarthritis in Sardinia or Kitava and could not find anything helpful, but as with almost everything else, it is likely a environment/behavior-driven issue and not a genetic issue. So, until things like inflammatory foods like seed oils and wheat are removed from the diet, and poor gait corrected, cartilage re-growth (in vivo) seems unlikely no matter what. Also, removing the cause is likely an easier fix (in the general population) than trying to re-grow cartilage.

T

tareload

The thing that jumps out as missing from this analysis is that none of the "strategies" address removing the primary cause of the problem. I tried to find data on the extent of debilitating Osteoarthritis in Sardinia or Kitava and could not find anything helpful, but as with almost everything else, it is likely a environment/behavior-driven issue and not a genetic issue. So, until things like inflammatory foods like seed oils and wheat are removed from the diet, and poor gait corrected, cartilage re-growth (in vivo) seems unlikely no matter what. Also, removing the cause is likely an easier fix (in the general population) than trying to re-grow cartilage.
Hmmm unless it is an autoimmune/immune mediated process in some of us. I was missing all my thoracic discs by the time I was 20. If you are going to wear some out those are probably the best ones to go missing but stil hurts like hell.

As I argued with a rheumatologist one time...OA (not just RA) sure as hell is an immune/inflammatory cytokine mediated problem. In my case heavy squats early on probably did not help. Lots published on this in last 10 years.

And on and on and on....

Guided_by_Voices

Yes, I fully agree that there is a lot of unappreciated overlap between OA and RA, and figuring out and eliminating the cause is just as important for RA. although likely much harder (or impossible) to correct for people who already have the issue. The combination of bombarding the immune system with adjuvants, often in the context of intestinal permeability is a likely place to start.

Off topic tidbit and words of experience for aspiring powerlifters: I'm sorry to hear of your spine issues. As someone with compressed discs, my first thoughts was also squats, but I also think that an underappreciated risk for many people is trying to achieve the extreme back arch used in competitive bench pressing. Had I known the risks at the time and properly thought through how potentially damaging and non-athletic that arch is, I never would have attempted it.

T

tareload

Yes, I fully agree that there is a lot of unappreciated overlap between OA and RA, and figuring out and eliminating the cause is just as important for RA. although likely much harder (or impossible) to correct for people who already have the issue. The combination of bombarding the immune system with adjuvants, often in the context of intestinal permeability is a likely place to start.

Off topic tidbit and words of experience for aspiring powerlifters: I'm sorry to hear of your spine issues. As someone with compressed discs, my first thoughts was also squats, but I also think that an underappreciated risk for many people is trying to achieve the extreme back arch used in competitive bench pressing. Had I known the risks at the time and properly thought through how potentially damaging and non-athletic that arch is, I never would have attempted it.
Great point. I had no thoracic mobility by the time I started lifting weights so at least I did not even have the temptation. Take care of your joints.

BigTex

I am not connived at all that powerlifting caused any of my osteoarthritis. Most likely all of it started out from past injuries. Seems they are using powerlifting/high intensity resistance training is a treatment option for Knee Osteoarthritis. From what I am reading high impact trauma may be the cause of most osteoarthritis. For instance, my left knee took a beating playing football in high school and college, my shoulder trauma from a competitive water skiing injury. Now are injury rates higher for powerlifting than say bodybuilding, absolutely. Again, it appears injury of a joint may be responsible for osteoarthritis.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me