Muscle and weight

I've been lifting for 14 months now. I'm not obese but overweight with a belly.
    What I want to in now is. Can I be gaining muscle that I currently do not see and that is why I'm losing weight? In other words I don't think I've really gained much muscle if any but I know I've lost because clothes fit better. Is there such thing as not seeing muscle gain yet loose weight?
    Last edited by Whatzup; 07-12-2018 at 08:06 AM.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Help Excelmale

Defy

You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time but you will generally gain weight when adding muscle because it is heavier than fat. When I started working out again about 4 years ago I lost 3 inches in my waist but only lost 2 lbs. I shed a lot of fat and added a great deal of lean muscle. Body fat dropped from 19% down to 10%. My pants were too big and my shirts too tight.

If your clothes are fitting better that is a positive. Your diet, type of workouts, how often you are working out, ability to sleep well, protein intake, and ............all play a role in weight loss, firming up, and putting on additional lean muscle mass.

We have some folks on the forum that can really guide you on this better than I. I just know what worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time but you will generally gain weight when adding muscle because it is heavier than fat. When I started working out again about 4 years ago I lost 3 inches in my waist but only lost 2 lbs. I shed a lot of fat and added a great deal of lean muscle. Body fat dropped from 19% down to 10%. My pants were too big and my shirts too tight.

If your clothes are fitting better that is a positive. Your diet, type of workouts, how often you are working out, ability to sleep well, protein intake, and ............all play a role in weight loss, firming up, and putting on additional lean muscle mass.

We have some folks on the forum that can really guide you on this better than I. I just know what worked for me.
    Thanks. For me my clothes fit better like I mentioned but the scale is usually 167 to 170 back and forth since the beginning and I've been lifting for 14 months. Am I suppose to weigh more if I'm gaining muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by Whatzup View Post
    I've been lifting for 14 months now. I'm not obese but overweight with a belly.
    What I want to in now is. Can I be gaining muscle that I currently do not see and that is why I'm losing weight? In other words I don't think I've really gained much muscle if any but I know I've lost because clothes fit better. Is there such thing as not seeing muscle grain yet loose weight?
    Any weight loss is result of a calorie deficit whereas building muscle and strength is the result of a calorie surplus. Being in a deficit you'll never put on muscle no matter what you do (or take). Muscle is absolutely obscured by a layer of fat but I don't see that in your limited information.

No idea if you're even doing anything to actually gain muscle. Most of the males at my gym are going thru the motions, poorly, and using the little silver dumbells on the girls end of the dumbbell rack and making themselves the star of a gym shame video on YouTube. No offense just trying to say there's a huge question of what you're actually doing, or not doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Carter View Post
    No idea if you're even doing anything to actually gain muscle. Most of the males at my gym are going thru the motions, poorly, and using the little silver dumbells on the girls end of the dumbbell rack and making themselves the star of a gym shame video on YouTube. No offense just trying to say there's a huge question of what you're actually doing, or not doing.
    None taken. I lift at home. Nothing fancy as far as equipment. I bench 100 lbs 4 sets and use 20 pound dumbbells for curls and the bench bar for arms too. With the bar I curl usually 40 lbs. I do legs and shoulders too. I'm 45 and have bad shoulders so the up the weight more and more is a struggle for me.

Read “bigger, leaner stronger by michael matthews.. lots of good info in there blows away a bunch of myths as well

Quote Originally Posted by sudip762 View Post
    I think it's tough.
    What's tough?

Just keep working out, you'll gain muscle. There's lots of good thread here for different exercises. I have a thread how I healed my torn rotator cuffs, it may help your shoulders.

Shoulder pain relief: Hanging for Healthy Shoulders

https://www.excelmale.com/showthread...lthy-Shoulders
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Just keep working out, you'll gain muscle. There's lots of good thread here for different exercises. I have a thread how I healed my torn rotator cuffs, it may help your shoulders.

Shoulder pain relief: Hanging for Healthy Shoulders

https://www.excelmale.com/showthread...lthy-Shoulders
    Thank you! I went to your link but bottom video is blacked out.

Thread Information