The investigators in this study determined ITT (intratesticular testosterone- inside the testicles) concentration by testicular aspiration before and after treatment in men receiving exogenous testosterone to block endogenous gonadotropin (LH and FSH) production and randomly assigned to one of four doses of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) (0, 125 IU, 250 IU, 500 IU every other day) for 3 weeks.

Notice how at time zero, 17-hydroxyprogesterone is very low due to testosterone therapy.

This study shows that HCG increases not only intra-testicular testosterone (responsible for sperm production) but also 17-hydroxyprogesterone, androstenedione and DHEA . Is this part of the reason why men feel better on TRT + HCG?

Attachment 1675

Serum 17-hydroxyprogesterone strongly correlates with intratesticular testosterone in gonadotropin-suppressed normal men receiving various dosages of human chorionic gonadotropin

Attachment 1674
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Nelson Vergel; 06-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Help Excelmale

Defy

Does hCG wake up upstream hormones shut down by testosterone replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Carter View Post
    I think HCG bennies play in to my own thoughts that its supposed to enable this downstream hormonal conversion just as LH does but in many many guys that just doesn't happen, its more like injecting straight water, and then there's the guys that seem to love HCG and have benefit to using it. Seems to me that there's some enzyme(?) activity, perhaps, that makes this a plus or minus for the individual. I mean if the downstream was working why are some many of us on Preg and/or DHEA, or Progesterone....????

You can see the different enzymes and paths affected by LH (and possibly hCG) in the hormone cascade in the figure below where the stars are. When we start TRT, LH is shut down and these enzymes are not activated. Does hCG (an LH analog) reverse that shut down of upstream hormones? Is this hCG-induced reactivation of neuro-hormones responsible for the improvement in mood and libido that some of us have on this analog? Only research will tell.

I am trying to get an investigator interested in studying the effect of HCG on these enzymes while having patients use our App on www.TRTdata.com before and through treatment to detect any improvements in libido and mood (it would have to be a placebo-controlled study).

By the way, I think that it takes a certain dosage of hCG to increase upstream hormones. I doubt that anything under 350 IU every other day work well.

I have coached over 150 guys and I have seen how introducing hCG to their TRT brings back pregnenolone and progesterone back to normal and in some cases it also normalizes DHEA. This reversal only happens when using 500 IU at least twice per week in combination with testosterone.

AS we know, TRT and anabolics can shut down those hormones:

Anabolic steroids and TRT decrease SHBG, DHEA, pregnenolone and progesterone in men.

Here are the enzymes affected by LH and their roles.
    Yes, some people may have deficiencies in one or several of them and they usually show hormone issues.

StAR: Steroidogenic acute regulatory protein

P450scc: Cholesterol side-chain cleavage enzyme

17,20 lyase

3 beta HSD

Attachment 3811
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nelson Vergel; 06-19-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Founder
    www.ExcelMale.com
    www.DiscountedLabs.com
    www.ClinicOptimizers.com
    www.TRTData.com
    www.MyHealthGraphs.com

Author of Testosterone: A Man's Guide & Built to Survive

Please no private messages. I answer questions on the forum for all to benefit.

Thread Information