What is the Optimum Testosterone Dose? Results from a Respected Study

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Nelson Vergel, reviews a research paper from 2001 by Dr. Bhasin, a leading researcher on testosterone and androgens.

The study looked at the effects of different doses of testosterone on various parameters in young men, including hormones, strength, and sexual function. Key points discussed in the video include:

1. The study involved about 65 healthy young men (average age 25), whose natural testosterone was blocked and were then given varying doses of testosterone cypionate injections (25mg, 50mg, 125mg, 300mg, and 600mg) weekly for 20 weeks.
  2. The participants were asked not to go to the gym or workout for the study duration to evaluate the effects of the testosterone doses.
  3. Testosterone levels at baseline were healthy (500s-600s). As the testosterone dose increased, total and free testosterone levels also increased.
  4. With 125mg per week, the testosterone level was almost back to the baseline. With 300-600mg per week, it went into the 1300s or 2300 nanograms per deciliter.
  5. As testosterone dose increased, sex hormone binding globulin decreased significantly by 300mg and 600mg doses. IGF-1, a metabolite of growth hormone in the liver, increased significantly at higher doses (300-600mg per week). F
  6. at-free mass (lean mass and water retention) significantly improved at 125mg or more per week. Fat mass decreased with testosterone, particularly at 125mg or more per week.
  7. Measurements of thigh muscle volume by MRI showed significant improvement at 125mg and above.
  8. Sexual activity and intensity of sexual desire did not change significantly across all doses.
  9. Cognition did not change significantly with any of the doses. Leg press strength and power significantly increased at the 300 and 600mg doses.
  10. Higher testosterone doses increased hemoglobin and red blood cells but decreased HDL (good cholesterol).

In conclusion, Vergel mentions the need for further studies to determine optimal testosterone dosage, given the trade-offs in effects on strength, sexual activity, cognition, and cardiovascular risks. He also notes that these results may not generalize to populations that are older, overweight, or physically active.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
These were trough measurements on weekly injections, meaning peak levels were likely 2-3 times higher. Therefore even the 50 mg TE/week group probably had average serum testosterone close to baseline. I have previously pointed out that using trough measurements on weekly injections leads to dose inflation, whether intentional or not. It's just not a good protocol—because you can have above-normal and below-normal testosterone levels at different times in each injection cycle. Going to twice-weekly injections would be a considerable improvement, and then you would find that 50-100 mg TE/week covers virtually everyone, as is seen with Xyosted.

Belekas

nobody
These were trough measurements on weekly injections, meaning peak levels were likely 2-3 times higher. Therefore even the 50 mg TE/week group probably had average serum testosterone close to baseline. I have previously pointed out that using trough measurements on weekly injections leads to dose inflation, whether intentional or not. It's just not a good protocol—because you can have above-normal and below-normal testosterone levels at different times in each injection cycle. Going to twice-weekly injections would be a considerable improvement, and then you would find that 50-100 mg TE/week covers virtually everyone, as is seen with Xyosted.
Very good point. If 100mg/week split E3.5D puts me right at the top of the range and a bit higher on the TT and cFT, I believe it's pretty much impossible that on the 50mg/week split in two injections as well will put me back below baseline considering the fact that my baseline cFT is borderline low.

RickB

And if those who are taking weekly injections are in any doubt whether to switch, there's no reason (apart from personal circumstances) for them not to test their levels at point(s) other than trough before making the switch. The "always test at trough" mantra needs an asterisk.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I reviewed what every testosterone product manufacturer recommends as best time to test testosterone when using their products.

Gianluca

Just exactly what I was thinking. I would be curious to see the trough point of the 125mg group on an EOD injection protocol.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me