TRT causing migraines

Buy Lab Tests Online

Kimpe

Hi!

Surely there has to be guys here who suffer from migraines, how did trt affect them?

I'm asking because trt seems to trigger migraines for me, and I don't understand why.
There seems to be evidence about low T causing migraines, and trt actually helping, but still when I'm off I get zero migraines.

I checked the package labeling on sustanon, and it says migraines are a possible side effect. My dr says the same, that they are really rare, but a possible side effect.

I've tried sustanon, nebido and gel (tostran) which are the only medications available.
Yesterday I applied tostran after being off for a while, and BAM! Migraine attack about 3-4 hours after applying.
Can't be a coincidence since I had zero migraines when being off.

Any ideas or personal experiences?
Obviously I could just continue and see if it eases off but idk..

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator

Fortunate

Hi!

Surely there has to be guys here who suffer from migraines, how did trt affect them?

I'm asking because trt seems to trigger migraines for me, and I don't understand why.
There seems to be evidence about low T causing migraines, and trt actually helping, but still when I'm off I get zero migraines.

I checked the package labeling on sustanon, and it says migraines are a possible side effect. My dr says the same, that they are really rare, but a possible side effect.

I've tried sustanon, nebido and gel (tostran) which are the only medications available.
Yesterday I applied tostran after being off for a while, and BAM! Migraine attack about 3-4 hours after applying.
Can't be a coincidence since I had zero migraines when being off.

Any ideas or personal experiences?
Obviously I could just continue and see if it eases off but idk..
I have tons of experience with this with years of migraines, worse with TRT. I have found that Natesto is about the only form of TRT that does not give me migraines.

I have tested numerous theories as to what causes them and I’m not sure yet. That said, I had a call with Defy and we discussed trying nandrolone, as it does not produce the same metabolites as normal testosterone.

You should consider Natesto.

Kimpe

I have tons of experience with this with years of migraines, worse with TRT. I have found that Natesto is about the only form of TRT that does not give me migraines.

I have tested numerous theories as to what causes them and I’m not sure yet. That said, I had a call with Defy and we discussed trying nandrolone, as it does not produce the same metabolites as normal testosterone.

You should consider Natesto.
Wow you're actually using natesto currently? I thought it was still only in development phase.
Have you got bloods with it?
Really interesting how it's claimed to not tank your own production.

madman

Super Moderator
Wow you're actually using natesto currently? I thought it was still only in development phase.

Where have you been?

Numerous threads were posted on the forum about Natesto for treatment of low-T.

Acerus Pharmaceuticals Corporation, formerly known as Trimel Pharmaceuticals Corporation is a Canadian pharmaceutical company that owns the rights/manufactures Natesto.

Natesto™ formerly known as CompleoTRT™ was FDA approved in 2014,

Fortunate

You should definitely have your physician prescribe it and give it a try. If you do, please report back and let us know if you tolerate it without getting headaches.

Gladiator

I take medication to prevent migraines. Before I started taking it I would get a sharp pain behind my eye and I couldn’t see because they closed. Taking 10mg of Amitriptyline at night nearly stops them. I now get a little throbbing pain and if I can take painkillers within 5 minutes it goes away. Before medication I had to lay down and try to sleep it off because painkillers would do much after it hit.
A once a month injection is now being put on pbs so it will be only $40 I think a month but I pay $17 for 50 tablets.
I haven’t noticed anything different in the two years of Trt , I thought I was actually getting less headaches now

Fortunate

I take medication to prevent migraines. Before I started taking it I would get a sharp pain behind my eye and I couldn’t see because they closed. Taking 10mg of Amitriptyline at night nearly stops them. I now get a little throbbing pain and if I can take painkillers within 5 minutes it goes away. Before medication I had to lay down and try to sleep it off because painkillers would do much after it hit.
A once a month injection is now being put on pbs so it will be only $40 I think a month but I pay $17 for 50 tablets.
I haven’t noticed anything different in the two years of Trt , I thought I was actually getting less headaches now
@Gladiator, sounds like you got them fairly under control. For other headache sufferers, There are a variety of preventive treatments and a lot of abortive meds. I have struggled for years and have tried a lot. The things I have found most helpful:
  • Quality sleep with consistent bed time and wake time
  • No alcohol (bummer, but not worth it for me)
  • Try to gain life perspective, which helps reduce stress when it arises. Understanding the mindfulness concept gives you some power (not as much as I'd like) over your thoughts and emotions. Instead of getting stuck on a runaway train, you can see the train and sometimes elect to not jump on
  • Low carb diet
    • Consider reading the Migraine Miracle. I have followed a diet close to this concept for a while. I think low carb helps, but I think even more important is just to not eat processed crap
I have also used a number of preventives, including gabapentin, amitryptiline, beta blockers, topamax, etc. I did botox for a while. Hard to say if it helped. I have used Cefaly on an off. Not sure what I think of it. As of now, I am on verapamil, which helps. There are also several CGRP blocking meds on the market. They are antibodies that block CGRP in various ways along the neurotransmitter pathways. I was on Aimovig. I think it raised my BP, but it worked. I am now on Emgality. Both are once a month injections. They have cut my headache days in about half. I also supplement with Magnesium.

The trouble with using abortive meds is the propensity to trigger rebound headaches. It's very easy to get in a cycle of rebound headaches and very hard to get out of it.

In the beginning, I hoped TRT would positively impact my migraines. In retrospect, I suspect it has in some ways caused me more headaches than I would have had without TRT. On the other hand, I believe I benefit from TRT in some ways. I am currently working my butt off trying to find the most ideal TRT protocol that gives me the full spectrum of TRT benefit without triggering headaches.

As I am still fine tuning this, so I don't have a definitive answer yet. I am working on some things and will report back. That said, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that of all the TRT options I have tried, Natesto is the least offensive and does not cause headaches. For anyone that has migraines and needs TRT, I strongly recommend trying Natesto. More to follow.

Gladiator

I guess I’m lucky my medication works. If it didn’t I would have had to stop driving as it was happening nearly daily. I did tell the licensing Center I was taking the meds and had to go get a medical done before I could pay for my license again. Then every two years I have to have a full driver medical.
I also started driving a truck for work so have to have a medical for that anyway so it isn’t a problem anymore as work covers my medical.
Im really lucky the first medication I tried works still after 6 years on it.

Fortunate

I guess I’m lucky my medication works. If it didn’t I would have had to stop driving as it was happening nearly daily. I did tell the licensing Center I was taking the meds and had to go get a medical done before I could pay for my license again. Then every two years I have to have a full driver medical.
I also started driving a truck for work so have to have a medical for that anyway so it isn’t a problem anymore as work covers my medical.
Is it the amitriptyline you are referring to? Do you take anything else? I agree. It’s awesome you found something that works for you.

Fortunate

By the way, years ago, when I was trying to figure out why my testosterone levels were so low, I read an article about long-term amitriptyline use and a connection to testosterone suppression. I subsequently searched for that article and couldn’t find it. Maybe I dreamt it!

Gladiator

By the way, years ago, when I was trying to figure out why my testosterone levels were so low, I read an article about long-term amitriptyline use and a connection to testosterone suppression. I subsequently searched for that article and couldn’t find it. Maybe I dreamt it!
I had a head injury and from that day onwards I had major brain fog and was always tired. Then the migraine started and my life turned to shit. I was put on all sorts of medication but no antidepressants anymore since I’m on Trt and I feel like I did before my head injury. I never had headaches before that and it took me 2 years to understand I needed Amitriptyline or I would have a drivers license.

If my medication is a reason for low testosterone then I can live with that but my low testosterone symptoms started 2 years before I started taking it. Took me 6 years before I had my testosterone levels checked to find I was under normal

madman

Super Moderator

Natesto restores T levels while MAINTAINING HPG AXIS FUNCTION

T therapy can return patients to normal physiological T levels and provide symptom relief. It can also have negative consequences. The supraphysiologic levels produced by intramuscular injections, and the continuously elevated T levels produced by topical formulations, suppress the HPG axis for extended periods of time (>24 hours).3-13

Sustained exogenous T levels suppress HPG axis function, telling the hypothalamus to reduce endogenous T production4,14:

• Suppressed HPG function can lead to the release of less GnRH from the hypothalamus14
  • Less GnRH may mean the release of less LH and FSH from the pituitary14
  • Less LH and FSH may lead to decreased endogenous T production, azoospermia, and infertility4,9,*
  • More inhibin released from the gonads tells the pituitary to inhibit FSH production14

With Natesto, T levels return to near baseline between doses, maintaining HPG axis function1,15,16

Natesto is an innovative, intranasal therapy for T deficiency. Due to its pharmacokinetic profile, T levels peak rapidly after each dose, then return to near baseline between doses.1,15

Screenshot (7561).png

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

cheap enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching