LDL high but HDL ok, Triglycerides low, VLDL low, should I be concerned?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Bubbs

My LDL is 180ish , HDL 55, VLDL 10 and tris under 70 consistently

I'm on a modified keto diet with carbs pre workouts so I'd expect it to affect the cholesterol a bit, should I be concerned about the LDL if the other numbers are relatively good? My older PCP wants me on a statin and insisted LDL is bad end of story

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

mcs

I'm on a modified keto diet with carbs pre workouts so I'd expect it to affect the cholesterol a bit, should I be concerned about the LDL if the other numbers are relatively good? My older PCP wants me on a statin and insisted LDL is bad end of story
Your PCP is completely ignorant when it comes to current lipidology, sticking to obsolete cookie-cutter medicine. Get a doc that can order an advanced lipid panel and THEN and only then assess your results. Standard lipid panels are worthless other than for trigs. There are subfractions of LDL that need to be taken into account and it is not true that just because LDL is elevated, it's pathogenic. It all depends on the particle size, type and pattern which only an advanced panel will determine.

goolapsh

You can incorporate more plant based protein and less meat consumption.

Bubbs

Your PCP is completely ignorant when it comes to current lipidology, sticking to obsolete cookie-cutter medicine. Get a doc that can order an advanced lipid panel and THEN and only then assess your results. Standard lipid panels are worthless other than for trigs. There are subfractions of LDL that need to be taken into account and it is not true that just because LDL is elevated, it's pathogenic. It all depends on the particle size, type and pattern which only an advanced panel will determine.
He won't order anything but the basics

Is this ok?

Bubbs

45, Zero history, my grandparents all lived to their 90s

It's weird because pre keto my LDL was 130 so jumping to 180 must be related to diet (and from what I understand not necessarily bad)

I'm ordering the cardio IQ + crp HS asap since my Dr refuses to "waste money" on them

I guess I need to do that 23andme I ordered to test my polymorphisms

Vince

Super Moderator

It's weird because pre keto my LDL was 130 so jumping to 180 must be related to diet (and from what I understand not necessarily bad)

I'm ordering the cardio IQ + crp HS asap since my Dr refuses to "waste money" on them

Have you ever considered getting a complete cholesterol panel? To find out what kind of LDL cholesterol you have?

Guided_by_Voices

The same thing happened to me after I went lower-carb. The doctors who specialize in Low carb such as Dr. Davis generally say that HDL, Trigs, and LDL-type all improve on low- carb but total LDL is unpredictable and can go any direction. Before you over-focus on LDL and under-focus on the things that really make a big difference, I would read Dr. Kendrick's (book length) series on What Causes Heart Disease, and also check out the list linked here...

Bubbs

Have you ever considered getting a complete cholesterol panel? To find out what kind of LDL cholesterol you have?
I'm getting

Cardio IQ® Cholesterol, Total; Cardio IQ® HDL Cholesterol; Cardio IQ® Triglycerides; Cardio IQ® Non-HDL and Calculated Components; Cardio IQ® Lipoprotein Fractionation, Ion Mobility; Cardio IQ® Apolipoprotein B; Cardio IQ® Lipoprotein (a); Cardio IQ® hs-CRP; Cardio IQ® Lp-PLA2 Activity

tested on Friday, my cardiologist agreed to sign off on them when my PCP wouldn't

MarcoFL

I'm getting

Cardio IQ® Cholesterol, Total; Cardio IQ® HDL Cholesterol; Cardio IQ® Triglycerides; Cardio IQ® Non-HDL and Calculated Components; Cardio IQ® Lipoprotein Fractionation, Ion Mobility; Cardio IQ® Apolipoprotein B; Cardio IQ® Lipoprotein (a); Cardio IQ® hs-CRP; Cardio IQ® Lp-PLA2 Activity

tested on Friday, my cardiologist agreed to sign off on them when my PCP wouldn't
Ask him for the Boston Heart labs to be run. I had them two months ago and was only $150 and give you a lot of information!

Bubbs

I'm curious about the minimum effective dose for statins, from my reading it looks like just 10mg of Crestor a week would get me down a lot but my Dr wants me on 10mg a day as a "starting point"

The low dose studies show that LDL was reduced @30% on VLD crestor vs @50% on much higher doses that came with side effects

I wonder if it's worth a low dose experiment at maybe 2.5mg a day to see if it actually does anything, or 5mg EOD or E3D as EOD dosing with 50% of the prescribed dose was shown to be almost as effective in studies as the full ED dose

xcpatr922

The standard is not worthless.

All these more detailed/advanced blood test result is usually parallel with the standard test, thing like ApoB is fraction of LDL.

What's more important I believe is the ratio between HDL-C and LDL-C. Statin target is to bring down those LDL-C to be below 100 or lower than HDL if at all possible. Even lets say you have lpa issue, the treatment anyway is still the same.

Doc will give you statin, but func. medicine may give you even more meds, from Niacin to folic acid to reduce homocyesteine.

However folks have wrong idea just because you had statin you have reduced event which is not the same, statin is only for very long term prevention. It's blood thinner agent that reduce the actual event (from omega3 to Heparin)

Bubbs

No way my LDL is going lower than my HDL, my mid 50s HDL is as good as I'm going to get on TRT (TRT dropped it 10 points)

Going below 100 would be ideal but Id settle for around 100 if the infrequent low dose Crestor (5mg e3d) delivers what the studies show

I'll increase my niacin too, 3g ED seems the ideal for aggressively lowing ldl

Pre keto I was around 120 LDL so I'm sure that's a big factor in it jumping 60 points in 4 months. It's ironic as I assumed keto would lower ldl

I'm also taking 4g ED of fish oil for the EPAs which may influence it?

Last edited:

xcpatr922

My result as it's pretty consistent
Rosuva 10mg makes me LDL-C 75-80
Rosuva+Ezetimibe LDL-C drops to 35-40
After losing weight and regular training HDL is 51-53.
So making HDL>LDL is possible in my case.

I dont have side effect of statin, the TRT or beta blocker side effect is much more where I need to manage more; I also on low carb, looking at your TG your # is fine after keto. Your LDL-C is standard.

Bubbs

Thank you for sharing your experience! My Crp HS was 0.3 last time I had it taken I think so I'm not overly worried about inflammatory LDL plaque but I am trying to get my cardiologist to follow the Dr Ford Brewer advice on the tests for soft plaque since he thinks a treadmill stress test is sufficient and apparently it's not, not at all:/

mcs

I'm getting

Not surprised. PCPs are not trained in lipidology.

xcpatr922

Thank you for sharing your experience! My Crp HS was 0.3 last time I had it taken I think so I'm not overly worried about inflammatory LDL plaque but I am trying to get my cardiologist to follow the Dr Ford Brewer advice on the tests for soft plaque since he thinks a treadmill stress test is sufficient and apparently it's not, not at all:/

The problem with the cardiologist (in the USA) is they can't perform catheterization without a symptom first, so if the first symptom is an MI that's an issue. They can only do that if they see abnormality first in threadmill / ultrasound :( Also they can't prescribe stronger antiplatelet/anti coag agent just because one is having a large CAC score but no symtom.

Sometime I want to visit cardiologist outside USA that's more 'creative'.

xcpatr922

The way the procedure in US is being done is they ask too many questions but they do very little intervention procedure to prevent an event, they follow the guidelines strictly. In other places, the doctor doesn't ask too many questions and right away does intervention for prevention.

Same as covid in this country. So many questions. Other country has so many drugs for covid treatment, here in the hospital they don't give any meds until one already pretty much suffering due to covid.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me