How to reverse sexual dysfunction caused by antidepressants

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
In an open-label study of 1,022 patients with a mean 40 years of age, 59.1% reported antidepressant-associated sexual dysfunction.10 The study analyzed the following antidepressants: citalopram, paroxetine, venlafaxine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, mirtazapine, nefazodone, amineptine, moclobemide, clomipramine, imipramine, maprotiline, phenelzine, and trazodone. Of those with sexual dysfunction attributed to antidepressants, 38.3% rated themselves as being concerned enough about sexual dysfunction to discontinue antidepressant therapy . Another 34.5% indicated that, although they did not intend to discontinue antidepressant therapy because of it, they and/or their partner were concerned or distressed about sexual dysfunction. That nearly 4 of 10 patients in this study were concerned enough about their sexual dysfunction to discontinue their antidepressant is worrisome in view of the fact that noncompliance with the therapeutic regimen may result in relapse or recurrence of depression.

Antidepressant-Associated Sexual Dysfunction: A Potentially Avoidable Therapeutic Challenge

Attachments

• ssri sexual dysfunction.jpg
    ssri sexual dysfunction.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
antidepressants sexual dysfunction.gif

From Medscape:

A variety of antidotes have been reported to treat SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction effectively; however, virtually all the data on these agents are derived from open case reports and case series. Insofar as sexual function improvement may be responsive to placebo effects, it is impossible to estimate the true efficacy of these antidotes.[SUP][27]
[/SUP]
Most of these antidotes either have serotonin-blocking properties (especially 5HT-2 antagonistic effects) or augment catecholamine activity, especially that of dopamine. The antiserotonergic antidotes are cyproheptadine, buspirone, nefazodone, and mianserin. Medications enhancing dopaminergic tone include amantadine, bupropion, and stimulants, with yohimbine showing noradrenergic effects. Among the reported antidotes, the only 2 without antiserotonergic effects or catecholaminergic activity are gingko biloba and urecholine.

Last edited:

URUGUAYO

mi muchos casos, producen retardo en la eyaculacion, que beneficia a las personas ansiosas. Es mi experiencia. Tengo 34 años y es tan fuerte la ansiedad que quizá la TRT ayude a darme seguridad y disminuir la ansiedad. Un psiquiatra jamás lo recomendaría, solo automedicacion

I´m on Escitalopram for years by now for cronic stress and anxiety problems. When I stared I told my psychiatrist about my concern reg libido etc,, and he said I could add Bupropion to counteract some side effects. That´s been my combo for years and years. I can´t tell really by now how it would be if I only took Escitalopram.

itmaybejay

Antidepressants with the lowest rate of sexual side effects include:

Bupropion (Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR)
Mirtazapine (Remeron)
Vilazodone (Viibryd)
Vortioxetine (Trintellix)

I have been taking Vilazodone (Viibryd) for about 5 months. Before I went to my max dose of 40mg, getting, maintaining an erection and achieving orgasm was possible within 5-10 minutes of sexual activity. At 40mg, however, anorgasmia is back but at least I still maintain my erection (for the most part). The anorgasmia is what bothers me now, and I'll tend to lose the mood even before my partner orgasms. They're also upset because I can't reach it. I saw apomorphine and perhaps pramipexole would help that, though.

sammmy

Urecoline sounds a lot like the Huperzine-A that I have been using occasionally - increases muscle activation and the side effects are similar.

xibxang

In an open-label study of 1,022 patients with a mean 40 years of age, 59.1% reported antidepressant-associated sexual dysfunction.10 The study analyzed the following antidepressants: citalopram, paroxetine, venlafaxine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, mirtazapine, nefazodone, amineptine, moclobemide, clomipramine, imipramine, maprotiline, phenelzine, and trazodone. Of those with sexual dysfunction attributed to antidepressants, 38.3% rated themselves as being concerned enough about sexual dysfunction to discontinue antidepressant therapy . Another 34.5% indicated that, although they did not intend to discontinue antidepressant therapy because of it, they and/or their partner were concerned or distressed about sexual dysfunction. That nearly 4 of 10 patients in this study were concerned enough about their sexual dysfunction to discontinue their antidepressant is worrisome in view of the fact that noncompliance with the therapeutic regimen may result in relapse or recurrence of depression.

Antidepressant-Associated Sexual Dysfunction: A Potentially Avoidable Therapeutic Challenge
Excuse the dumb question, @Nelson Vergel.

On this thread you say that Trazodone is very erection friendly, but your post lists that it causes sexual dysfunction. Is that with erections or that it makes it more difficult to orgasm?

SpyrosB

Not sure if you guys are aware, this issue is of massive proportions, and really just ignored by the medical community.

Diagnostic criteria for enduring sexual dysfunction after treatment with antidepressants, finasteride and isotretinoin

To clarify, Sexual dysfunction while on antidepressants is different to sexual dysfunction after stopping antidpressants. Not sure which one you are referring to here.

While on them, cyproheptadine and loratadine have shown to reduce it, to the best of my knowledge.
After them.. is a whole different scenario.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching