Hip Replacement Surgery Experiences

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I have been postponing it for a year but going for it this Monday. Right hip. Posterior.

MRI showed some deterioration (age-related arthritis) plus a cyst. I am 63 but in good shape. No hip injuries or events I can point to.

Have done two injections that helped for two months each. Pain is back if I walk one block.

It sucks! I have PTSD after a horrible hand surgery due to CIPD. Wish me luck.

Any experiences (good and bad) that you guys can share? Thank you.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Willyt

I've been putting it off for years. I remember asking one of the docs, when will I know? He said, "you'll know when you dread taking a shit because you can't squat down anymore."

Sounds like you're already there mentally. You're in good shape with drive which seems to be the key to recovery. Good luck!

I’ve had two, one in 2006 which was posterior and one in 2021 which was anterior. It’s not as big a deal as you think and you’ll be walking right away. Pain is manageable and actually feels better than it does before the surgery. What I did during both surgeries was worked out my upper body with bands and physical therapy and walking for my lower body. They do give you opiates, but you should ask your doctor if you can manage your pain with Tylenol and ibuprofen combined. I did that the entire time for my second surgery and took no opiates at all. During my first surgery, I was on opiates and did not recover very well because I was too wiped out to do any of the walking. Seems I have a bad reaction for opiates. You’ll be surprised, with your training experience you’ll find yourself approaching the training/physical therapy with that mindset. Best of luck with this Nelson, I’m sure you will do well and keep us all posted on how you’re doing.

Guided_by_Voices

I have a friend who had it and for him it has been the brochure experience. He is in his seventies but it gave him his life back although he had severe bone deterioration/necrosis. He said that there is apparently a new generation of devices that should be coming out right about now , so hopefully that's what you're getting. They apparently last longer which is an issue since they eventually need to be redone and you will be at an age where surgery is less tolerable the second time around. I assume you have GH/BPC etc on-hand since the surgery itself is an injury. Although I am not a fan of jumping right to major surgery, in this case I think the success stats are skewed to the downside because of the number of people who don't do the proper rehab or pre-hab (leg-presses, stretching etc.). Best of luck and I will pray for you.

BigTex

I have been postponing it for a year but going for it this Monday. Right hip. Posterior.

MRI showed some deterioration (age-related arthritis) plus a cyst. I am 63 but in good shape. No hip injuries or events I can point to.

Have done two injections that helped for two months each. Pain is back if I walk one block.

Good luck with this Nelson. Keep us updated on your progress/recovery. Unfortunately this is age related/genetics related and not much we can do to stop it. However, I know several our age that have had this done and did fine after recovery. I have the same issues with the left knee, both shoulders and low back. After having 4 surgeries in my life, I do not want another one. But there comes a point where the pain you have to deal with every day gets to be too much.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Due in part to various riding accidents over the years—cycling and horseback—my left hip had degenerated to bone-on-bone. Physical therapy and stem cell injections perhaps bought me a little time, but as the pain began to limit my cycling I knew the time had come. I had Birmingham hip resurfacing on the hip at the end of May—anterolateral. I recommend looking into this implant versus conventional replacements. It's better for more active individuals, preserving bone and normal geometry. The surgery is a little more complicated, but I think it's worth it. I had the procedure as an outpatient. Nice to be home the same day, weight-bearing and independent immediately; all I needed was a ride home. I avoided the oxycodone I was prescribed, sticking with Celebrex and Tylenol. Pain and swelling increased over the first few days, as if there's a delayed reaction for the body to figure out that something significant happened. Sleep was impaired for a few weeks, as I would periodically get into positions that caused discomfort. I was down to one crutch after a week, and ditched it after three weeks. I began to notice progress after two weeks, with pain and swelling subsiding and range-of-motion improving. I haven't quite reached the breakeven point of being better overall than before the surgery, but that's said to happen within two to three months. I've worked back up to about an hour a day on the cycling trainer, though still taking it easy at under 200 watts, versus the more typical 250-300 watts. At my followup appointment the doctor said I have no restrictions starting about seven weeks post-surgery. I expect to ease back into road cycling then.

fun2drive

fun2drive

Absolute key is the surgeon you use. I have had both hips and knees done. Look for low infection rate and low return which is posted on some doctor eval sites.
I found two in the states: one at Wake Forest and one at Cincinnati.
I will tell you from experience that hip recovery is 3 times easier than knees. There are pre surgery exercises you can do which I did and makes recovery faster at least for me.

I averaged surgery morning discharge the next day. Walking 1/4 mile day 3 then increased to long distances there after. Gym in 1
Week hips 2 weeks knees.
Hope this helps.
I am physically fit and 70 now. Surgery in 09/10 hips and 17 for both knees.

Seth

Good luck. Hope it goes smoothly and you have a fast recovery.

seppuku

Due in part to various riding accidents over the years—cycling and horseback—my left hip had degenerated to bone-on-bone. Physical therapy and stem cell injections perhaps bought me a little time, but as the pain began to limit my cycling I knew the time had come. I had Birmingham hip resurfacing on the hip at the end of May—anterolateral. I recommend looking into this implant versus conventional replacements. It's better for more active individuals, preserving bone and normal geometry. The surgery is a little more complicated, but I think it's worth it. I had the procedure as an outpatient. Nice to be home the same day, weight-bearing and independent immediately; all I needed was a ride home. I avoided the oxycodone I was prescribed, sticking with Celebrex and Tylenol. Pain and swelling increased over the first few days, as if there's a delayed reaction for the body to figure out that something significant happened. Sleep was impaired for a few weeks, as I would periodically get into positions that caused discomfort. I was down to one crutch after a week, and ditched it after three weeks. I began to notice progress after two weeks, with pain and swelling subsiding and range-of-motion improving. I haven't quite reached the breakeven point of being better overall than before the surgery, but that's said to happen within two to three months. I've worked back up to about an hour a day on the cycling trainer, though still taking it easy at under 200 watts, versus the more typical 250-300 watts. At my followup appointment the doctor said I have no restrictions starting about seven weeks post-surgery. I expect to ease back into road cycling then.

How is your recovery going Cataceous? I've been pretty much out of action gym wise for the last 18 months due to lower back and hip pain. I'm in the UK, so going through the NHS for treatment (NHS is very, very slow, and it took a year to even get to see a physio). I'm waiting an the results from an x-ray of my pelvis done just over a week ago, and they now suspect osteoarthritis. I had an appointment with a different physio on Friday, and we were discussing options if i require surgery. He told me all about the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing procedure, and how sucessful it has been for people. The hospital i was at having this discussion was the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, in Birmingham. I asked the physio, "was it here that it was pioneered?", but he wasn't actually sure. I got home and googled it, and it was! So fingers crossed, although i'd rather not need surgery at all, if i end up having to, and i'm a suitable candidate, i might get the doctor who invented the proceedure.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I got my surgery two months ago. Finally feeling better and almost back to normal.

I have talked to people who got hip resurfacing and they both had bad experiences, so be careful.

Here are a few pictures:

X Ray:

hip replacement X rays.JPG

Surgery stiches after two weeks:
Hip surgery.JPG

Example of the hardware:

hip hardware.jpg

maliksab

I had an open heart surgery due to congenital defective valve last year. My cardiologist supported my Trt and a year later I’m doing more muscle-ups than ever before. If you need surgery.. go in like Lion and come back more lethal with scars

BigTex

I have a friend that was a top ranked bench presser who had a quadruple bipass. Six months after surgery he was back benching heavy again. I have had about 4 surgeries so far and the "lion"" has gone away. I need right now 4 more majori surgeries.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me