Diets and the use of Metformin

Buy Lab Tests Online

BigTex

My wife has been on a keto diet most of her life but she has always had some cravings for cabs and her appetite is very high. She is now trying a low carb diet with metformin and kind of likes being able to eat a few carbs. The strange thing is, carbohydrates always made her more hungry, with the Metformin she has a very low appetite and no craving for carbs. Here is what I suspect, Metformin increases GDF15 secretion, which reduces appetite and caloric intake. It also decreases glucose production in the liver, thus blood glucose levels drop and insulin sensitivity increases.

I got her started doing this by doing a cyclical ketogenic diet instead of just straight keto and then taking metformin to help get back in ketosis on Monday. The metformin made ketosis happen quickly and took away the huge cravings for carbs after the weekend. So now she is going to just go low carb/low GI (30%) and take the Metformin.

There is some recent scientific evidence as well as lots of anecdotal experience in the bodybuilding world that taking Metformin increases muscle cell insulin sensitivity, thus you are able to pump much more nutrients into the muscle when you train combined with carbs, thus increasing sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Of course this is very beneficial with a higher carb diet to get this effect combined with Metformin. The other benefit is Metformin de-sensitizes fat cells to the effects of insulin which helps avoid the spill over effect and fat being deposited while eating higher carb diets. I know a lot of bodybuilders who do this during the bulking part of their protocol and even towards the cutting part.

Ok, side effects....it can lower your natural production of testosterone, so for those of us on TRT and even women on HRT, this should be no issue. You natural production is most likely shut down already. It also reduces B12 levels (13.4% after 12 wks; 17.7% after 40 wks) so it is important to supplement B12.

Some of us like myself are very sensitive to any medication. So when I take Metformin I loose weight very rapidly. I can drop 20lbs in a few weeks. So I am thinking about using it 2-3 times a week, EOD. There is evidence that you will still benefit from an increased level of AMP-activated protein kinase activity in skeletal muscle, which will increase the translocation of GLUT-4 transporters to skeletal muscle, increasing glucose uptake. AMP-activated protein kinase will also increase fatty acid oxidation by inactivating acetyl-CoA-carboxylase. By regulating acetyl- CoA-carboxylase, carnitine palmitoyltransferase (CPT-1) is not blocked and able to transport fatty acids into the mitochondria for oxidation. So I am hoping the drastic effect of weight loss on my part is not so drastic but still effective in oxidizing fat at high carbohydrate/calorie intakes. We will see. If it doesn't work, I have wasted $1000 on food in the past few months getting back up to 250lbs.

This is kind of a simplified list as to why bodybuilders use metformin during the bulk cycle:

Reasons Bodybuilders use Metformin

• Fuller muscles & better pumps: Muscles will grow fuller when metformin is used with high carbohydrate diets. Plus, better and harder pumps in the gym
  • Lack of fat storage: Metformin helps prevent fat from being deposited, so you get full benefits from carbohydrate heavy meals, without worrying to end up storing fat. This is why diabetics say they 'lean out' on this drug.
  • Insulin receptors: Metformin helps keep muscle cells sensitized for insulin that the body produces.
  • Appetite suppression: This drug will limit hunger, so it's perfect for those doing a ketogenic diet. Furthermore, on re-feed days it makes a perfect addition to your carbohydrate heavy cheat day.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Belekas

nobody
Hey @BigTex hope you doing good brother, been following and reading your posts with great interest. Thank you! I have some Metformin and would like to give it a try. Eating higher carbs like always, training 4x week. Doing heavy cardio 4x week as well. How many mg's for a start, if I may ask so? Started leaning out nearly 2 weeks ago after 6 months eating all I can. Probably more context is required but I thought I'll give it a go and post it anyway :)

Best regards,
Bel

BigTex

Hey @BigTex hope you doing good brother, been following and reading your posts with great interest. Thank you! I have some Metformin and would like to give it a try. Eating higher carbs like always, training 4x week. Doing heavy cardio 4x week as well. How many mg's for a start, if I may ask so? Started leaning out nearly 2 weeks ago after 6 months eating all I can. Probably more context is required but I thought I'll give it a go and post it anyway :)

Best regards,
Bel
If you have the extended release tabs 500-1000mg/d is good. Otherwise 500mg before eating. My wife and I do 500mg/d

BigTex

My wife is doing 500mg/d. I tend to lose weight very quickly so I started 500mg on the weekends when I go lower carbs. The last time I went 500mg every day I dropped 15 pounds in about 6 weeks.

Belekas

nobody
My wife is doing 500mg/d. I tend to lose weight very quickly so I started 500mg on the weekends when I go lower carbs. The last time I went 500mg every day I dropped 15 pounds in about 6 weeks.
Understood. I'll try 500mg/day with biggest meal and will see how it goes. Don't have too much to drop fwiw but will be interesting to experiment. Thank you.

Vince

Super Moderator
@BigTex, are you pre-diabetic or diabetic?. I never heard of metformin helping someone lose weight unless they're pre-diabetic or diabetic. Someone with a good A1C, I don't believe it should affect their weight loss much. Just wondering?

BigTex

Nope, my fasting blood glucose is always around the low 80's, Even when I don't take Metformin. Remember Vince, Metformin increases GDF15 secretion, this suppresses the appetite, thus combined with exercise you lose weight. My appetite certainly decreases making it easy for me to cut back on food. My wife noticed the same thing before I even told her about this. About 5 weeks into taking Metformin, she said she noticed she was just not hungry and could not eat near as much food as she normally eats.

Guided_by_Voices

Note that metformin is thought to shift the micro-biome in the direction of Akkermansia which is thought to be generally a good thing, especially regarding calorie gating. Metformin is also thought to partially inhibit part of the mTor pathway, which is likely not good on a chronic basis, although, as with rapamycin, may be beneficial intermittently. I have evolved to micro dosing metformin (250-500mg) before a higher-carb meal a couple of times per week and I seem to stay a bit leaner, although I can't say with perfect certainty how much it helps, but the gut-support is probably a worthwhile thing alone.

More detail here: SHR #2926: How to Proliferate Akkermansia Muciniphila

mcs

I am going on one year of my Metformin trial. I am not diabetic. I started it for its many benefits beyond its primary use as an anti-hyperglycemic agent. I started with 500mg b.i.d. of XR and went as high as 2g/day total, now at 1500mg. I, however, have it particularly weak in reducing my fasting BG and a1c compared to my pre-Metformin labs. In fact, it seems I am slightly higher on both insulin and glucose while ON the drug while my diet remained the same. I have a somewhat increased likelihood of treatment success with Metformin based on my DNA, so am not a complete non-responder.

Now when I stop or reduce the dose, my glucose levels increased significantly over my pre-Metformin baseline levels. It almost seems like rebound hyperglycemia once the body knows it's not getting its regular Metformin dose. I can only hypothesize it is from a liver dump of stored glucose from the drug that when stopped, gets released back into the bloodstream, causing a spike in glucose. Or perhaps it causes some type of negative feedback loop, messing with glucose/insulin regulation when stopped. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I did notice a precipitous drop in both free and total T which I posted on before. I am not on TRT. I also wonder if it's caused loss of lean mass and V02 reduction since it suppresses mTOR, is anti-anabolic and inhibits the mitochondria. That's the only bad news. The good news is that I never had any of the commonly-reported gut-related symptoms. Since Metformin depletes B12, I monitor my levels and supplement so I remain at or above range.

For all the purported long-term benefits, I question whether I made a good choice and whether I should remain on the drug due to these short-term drawbacks.

Need some insight from experienced users.

Last edited:

George9

If you go to a no-carb diet all year you eliminate the need to bulk/cut, which is unhealthy especially as you get older. Metformin has has side effects and is not recommended long term unless you have diabetes. I get a good pump at age 69 by drinking plenty of water and balancing the main electrolytes (Na, K, Mg, Ca).

Attachments

• 148A5A2D-C3C1-4D5E-BB38-476A7861B3F2.jpeg
    148A5A2D-C3C1-4D5E-BB38-476A7861B3F2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

BigTex

Note that metformin is thought to shift the micro-biome in the direction of Akkermansia which is thought to be generally a good thing, especially regarding calorie gating. Metformin is also thought to partially inhibit part of the mTor pathway, which is likely not good on a chronic basis, although, as with rapamycin, may be beneficial intermittently. I have evolved to micro dosing metformin (250-500mg) before a higher-carb meal a couple of times per week and I seem to stay a bit leaner, although I can't say with perfect certainty how much it helps, but the gut-support is probably a worthwhile thing alone.

More detail here: SHR #2926: How to Proliferate Akkermansia Muciniphila
Exactly what I am trying now. 500mg x 2/wk

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale