Choose Quest or Labcorp?

Buy Lab Tests Online

ResearchIt

This last year I have had my labs done by Interpath, Quest, and Labcorp, basically I used whatever lab the doctor's office used.

Going foward I am going to select and stick with the same lab so that comparing my historical results is more consistent. Discounted Labs doesn't cover my state.

Would you choose Quest or Labcorp for your labs? I think cost wise they are ballpark the same. I mostly care about quality of the labs.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
This last year I have had my labs done by Interpath, Quest, and Labcorp, basically I used whatever lab the doctor's office used.

Going foward I am going to select and stick with the same lab so that comparing my historical results is more consistent. Discounted Labs doesn't cover my state.

Would you choose Quest or Labcorp for your labs? I think cost wise they are ballpark the same. I mostly care about quality of the labs.
Personally, I like LabCorp simply because they're close to my house and easy to make appointment to have labs.

ResearchIt

Thank you for the feedback, so in regards to accuracy of testing the sex hormones (T, Free T, Estradiol, DHT, etc), Quest is as accurate as Labcorp and Labcorp is as accurate as Quest?

Also, I have read a few places that people like Labcorp's Free T reference range more than Quest's - are reasonable reference ranges an important consideration when selecting a lab? Is one lab better than the other in this area for sex hormones?

If accuracy is the same and reference ranges don't matter, then it sounds like the decision comes down to convenience, reporting, and cost. Any last thoughts about this?

madman

Super Moderator
Thank you for the feedback, so in regards to accuracy of testing the sex hormones (T, Free T, Estradiol, DHT, etc), Quest is as accurate as Labcorp and Labcorp is as accurate as Quest?

Also, I have read a few places that people like Labcorp's Free T reference range more than Quest's - are reasonable reference ranges an important consideration when selecting a lab? Is one lab better than the other in this area for sex hormones?

If accuracy is the same and reference ranges don't matter, then it sounds like the decision comes down to convenience, reporting, and cost. Any last thoughts about this?

Comes down to the assay (most accurate).

You want TT/estradiol (LC-MS/MS), Free Testosterone (Equilibrium Dialysis, or Equilibrium Ultrafiltration).

The best bet especially when it comes to accuracy/comparing blood work then choose a lab/assay (most accurate) that is certified by the CDC's HoSt Program.

* the participating assays are bench-marked to a higher-order reference method and calibrator

TT (Labcorp/Quest Diagnostics), estradiol (Labcorp) as Quest is not certified by the CDC's HoSt Program.

Free Testosterone (Labcorp/Quest) and soon enough such lab/assays (ED/UF) will be certified by the CDC's HoSt Program.

*Assays that are standardized are designed to provide accurate results, traceable to “true” value-assigned certified reference materials and gold-standard reference methods. Results obtained using standardized methods can be compared across assays, institutions, populations, and past and future test results, thereby improving diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes of patients

* Limitations of using free testosterone by equilibrium dialysis and calculated free testosterone concentrations in practice are the lack of assay standardization, an accuracy-based quality control program, and a harmonized reference range. Until these limitations are addressed, free testosterone by equilibrium dialysis and calculated free testosterone should use reference ranges established by individual laboratories or their specific assay method

For the time being, choose whatever lab suits your fancy!

DragonBits

If you're paying then Labcorp may be attractive because of the Life Extension pricing. Their spring sale is on now and it's worth stocking up on tests for the year. The requisitions expire after six months, but can be renewed for another six months with a phone call.
I have often done this, the only disappointing aspect of this is you need Life Extension to send you the labcorp report. Labcorp does not have your test results on the labcorp portal. Perhaps it's something to do with privacy, not really sure about the reason.

If a doctor orders the test and they have a lab either onsite or have a strong preference, I go with that choice because it's easier for me, and the doc to get and review your results.

If you use medicare, an important thing to be aware of:
Form CMS-R-131 The Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage (ABN)

Basically, if you use medicare, I always sign to DENY the blood test if medicare is not going to pay. The one time I signed this to allow the blood test, I got charge $180 for a blood test I could have ordered myself for $25. Also, the doc who orders the blood test better code it correctly, or medicare will deny. (There is probably a similar situation with private insurance).

Some of the more "exotic" tests such as NMR LipoProfile or Glucose Tolerance Test with Insulin (8 specimens) Blood Test are difficult in most situations for a doctor to justify to insurance and difficult to get a doctor to order those tests. And if they do order and you have to pay (insurance denies), you will get a crazy high bill.

Grendl

I have often done this, the only disappointing aspect of this is you need Life Extension to send you the labcorp report. Labcorp does not have your test results on the labcorp portal. Perhaps it's something to do with privacy, not really sure about the reason.

If a doctor orders the test and they have a lab either onsite or have a strong preference, I go with that choice because it's easier for me, and the doc to get and review your results.

If you use medicare, an important thing to be aware of:
Form CMS-R-131 The Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage (ABN)

Basically, if you use medicare, I always sign to DENY the blood test if medicare is not going to pay. The one time I signed this to allow the blood test, I got charge $180 for a blood test I could have ordered myself for $25. Also, the doc who orders the blood test better code it correctly, or medicare will deny. (There is probably a similar situation with private insurance).

Some of the more "exotic" tests such as NMR LipoProfile or Glucose Tolerance Test with Insulin (8 specimens) Blood Test are difficult in most situations for a doctor to justify to insurance and difficult to get a doctor to order those tests. And if they do order and you have to pay (insurance denies), you will get a crazy high bill.
None of the private labs (except Marek) I’ve used show up in the LabCorp portal. Annoying.

MarcoFL

I find the turn around time with Quest is better. I try to always get mine though Discounted Labs which is a benefits this site. I usually use a mobile phlebotomist but have also gone into quest sites.

mlair

The problem with the Life Extension is the free testosterone (FT) is direct, not equilibrium dialysis or ultrafiltration. Am I wrong?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
The problem with the Life Extension is the free testosterone (FT) is direct, not equilibrium dialysis or ultrafiltration. Am I wrong?
That is correct. You're left with the next best thing, which is getting SHBG along with the basic male panel, and then seeing what the calculators say.

I've had misgivings in the past about Quest's inexpensive dialysis test, but thought it was getting better, based on reports in the forums. Then I see something like this and wonder if they have any clue about what they're doing.

T

tareload

accurate TT (lcms, evidently quest having some issues so go with labcorp :) ) + shbg and plug into cfTV. Should get you within typically 20% of what we think is accurate fT with ED. Or bracket with cfTV and cfTz (Tru-T) if you are high SHBG and want some entertainment. Or better yet do above and also get fT via Labcorb ED and report all your results!!

How does your measured fT via ED compare with calculated values?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
How does your measured fT via ED compare with calculated values?
In fairness, Labcorp isn't perfect either. Two times out of seven I've had their sensitive estradiol test return half the correct level.

I've never measured fT via ED. I am curious about it and one of these days will try that.

T

tareload

I've had their sensitive estradiol test return half the correct level.
How did you know?

And good point on labcorp, I've received a glucose reading of 5 mg/dl from them. Freaked my doctor out but I told him I was vertical when he called.

I told him I couldn't get my glucose down to 70 even if I fast for a week.

T

tareload

Thanks for sharing that. Not many people test in triplicate each time they run these more expensive tests. If I had my own testing lab I'd report method and instrument precision with the results (to help educate the customer) but I probably wouldn't be in business for long.

UltraNalu

I prefer the LabCorp test results over Quest. I have to drive 2 hours for the nearest LC site whereas Quest is in my small town. I'm gonna stay with LC even though it's more expensive and takes 4 hours of my day.

DragonBits

That is correct. You're left with the next best thing, which is getting SHBG along with the basic male panel, and then seeing what the calculators say.

I've had misgivings in the past about Quest's inexpensive dialysis test, but thought it was getting better, based on reports in the forums. Then I see something like this and wonder if they have any clue about what they're doing.
Philosophically speaking, Life extension does not believe most men need the sensitive estradiol test, which means most if not all of their panels do the regular estradiol test.

But they do have the sensitive estradiol test available to order. I believe the essential problem with the regular estradiol test is that if you have high c-reactive protein, it will show up as higher estrogen in the regular test. So when I am interested, I like ordering both hs-CRP and regular estradiol test. If money is not an issue, you could order all three.

Another thing to keep in mind, life extensive has stated (in a question and answer section) that they will special order tests from Labcorp that are not on their menu. Never tried that, but if something wants it one could ask their customer service about that. And not sure how they price those tests.

The biggest reason for using life extension is pricing, and they do have some tests that aren't commonly available. IE: Omega-3 Index Complete or CoQ10.

I like their customer service, however, for some reason they listed me as dead. No doubt it had something to do with my mother passing in July last year, I wondered why I wasn't getting their monthly magazine, now I know why.

mlair

Another problem with Life Extension is they cap the total testosterone at 1500. This make it impossible for someone with TT > 1500 to even calculate FT using SHBG and TT.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me