Can a keto diet cause elevated hematocrit & hemoglobin?

Buy Lab Tests Online

CROM

I did a CBC and my hematocrit was 52. My hematocrit has always been a little elevated anyway. But can a very low carb keto diet cause enough dehydration to make your hematocrit/hemoglobin elevated?

The CBC doesn’t show BUN/CREATINE RATIO (I think that measures level of hydration). So I don’t know if I was hydrated or not. Although I drank a lot of water 24 hours prior to testing. Despite drinking a lot of water I suspect it might be hard to hydrate the body on a low carb diet.

My sodium level was clinically low (which can be a sign of dehydration). I am going to carb up Friday to Sunday and retake the CBC on Monday to see if hematocrit goes down.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight to the question.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I did a CBC and my hematocrit was 52. My hematocrit has always been a little elevated anyway. But can a very low carb keto diet cause enough dehydration to make your hematocrit/hemoglobin elevated?

The CBC doesn’t show BUN/CREATINE RATIO (I think that measures level of hydration). So I don’t know if I was hydrated or not. Although I drank a lot of water 24 hours prior to testing. Despite drinking a lot of water I suspect it might be hard to hydrate the body on a low carb diet.

My sodium level was clinically low (which can be a sign of dehydration). I am going to carb up Friday to Sunday and retake the CBC on Monday to see if hematocrit goes down.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight to the question.
At least for me it hasn't. It's been a long time since I had to donate blood, I believe it's been at least three years now. And I've been on my low carb diet for all my testosterone years.

bochinit

Apearently red meat and iron can boost the hematocrit, but did not know how much. I'm on low carb diet and never donated blood..

OneJoe

I'm on a red meat based ketogenic diet for several years now and my hematocrit and hemoglobin are exactly the same as before. Are you staying hydrated before your blood tests?

CROM

Just an update, I came off keto for 3 days to rehydrate myself and took another CBC. My hematocrit came down 2 points.

JohnTaylorHK

I have been on a ketogenic diet for several years, but dehydration did become a problem, particularly with my boxing. Adjusting my diet to increase morning carbs put my energy levels (during sparring) through the roof. I still need to hydrate aggressively, but just measure the effect of this through pee colour. The majority of my protein intake is following midday training (mixed with some carb), and in the evening (zero or low carb). So far my weight has been stable at target. Namaste.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me