Thinning Hair on Top - Both options keep me up at night

Buy Lab Tests Online

Saul

Let me just vent a bit - Getting old sucks ass.

Unlike my nose and my ears, the hair on the top of my head is getting thin. My wife noticed it yesterday and I looked with a mirror and sure enough, it is thinning out on top. We looked over some pictures back in Feb and it was getting a tad thin back then but now it is more noticeable. I acknowledge that in the big picture going bald is not that big a deal, but mentally I am not there yet. The thought of dropping TRT is not where I want to go given the poor mental and physical state I was in pre-TRT and going bald on top is not much better in my mind. For me TRT has been a big success - sex life is back, better mental state, working out, and all labs / blood pressure are better than pre-TRT.

The thinning is only on top, not in the front or sides or back. Not bald yet, but I can see the scalp in spots with some hair covering it. I take after my Mom and her side of the family is most all ways related to hair and even looks and she has a full head as did both her parents when they passed in their late 80's, early 90's. I am not suppose to go bald - ever. My dad started thinning on top and in the front about my age (~50) but I have nothing in common with my Dad hair wise. Plus, WTF, I have excess hair on chest, legs, butt, ears, and nose.

I have some questions for anyone that can help.

1. Could it be genetic given that my hair is the same as my mom's in color, thickness, texture and her parents? Could I really pick this one hair trait up from my Dad?

2. I have been reading about it and it appear TRT can cause this. Pre-TRT I had full, thick hair. I am pulling more labs tomorrow but last labs my FT was 640 and DHT was right in the middle of the range at 59 in the range of 30 to 85 - at this time I was on about 93 mg/week with injections every 3 days. Right now I am on 100 mg per week with injections 2 times per week and no other meds. Nothing extreme so I would avoid side effect. I don't have any other environmental factors for baldness. Do you think it is caused by TRT?

3. Any suggestions on the latest and greatest? I have searched/read may posts but did not find much for 2018. Finnestrate pills do not seem like a good option. I can try Rogain and Ketoconazole shampoo. Anything else to try? Suggestions? What would you do? I could try dropping the TRT and see if I recover and stay on track with daily exercise and diet but I was low 300's before and was struggling.

Thanks.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

The reason why you are noticing hair thinning now is because previously you were previously in the 300 ranges and DHT was likely lower than it is now, had you never been in a low hormone state you would be still dealing with the hair thinning issues anyway. In theory if you stopped TRT and somehow restored you levels to where they are now you would still be dealing with the hair thinning and you would be right back at square one.

ratbag

Yes avoid finasteride pills...but according to Dr. Crisler taking finasteride cream (propecia) does not affect you the same way pills do. So using the cream you avoid Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS)

madman

Super Moderator

Unlike my nose and my ears, the hair on the top of my head is getting thin. My wife noticed it yesterday and I looked with a mirror and sure enough, it is thinning out on top. We looked over some pictures back in Feb and it was getting a tad thin back then but now it is more noticeable. I acknowledge that in the big picture going bald is not that big a deal, but mentally I am not there yet. The thought of dropping TRT is not where I want to go given the poor mental and physical state I was in pre-TRT and going bald on top is not much better in my mind. For me TRT has been a big success - sex life is back, better mental state, working out, and all labs / blood pressure are better than pre-TRT.

The thinning is only on top, not in the front or sides or back. Not bald yet, but I can see the scalp in spots with some hair covering it. I take after my Mom and her side of the family is most all ways related to hair and even looks and she has a full head as did both her parents when they passed in their late 80's, early 90's. I am not suppose to go bald - ever. My dad started thinning on top and in the front about my age (~50) but I have nothing in common with my Dad hair wise. Plus, WTF, I have excess hair on chest, legs, butt, ears, and nose.

1. Could it be genetic given that my hair is the same as my mom's in color, thickness, texture and her parents? Could I really pick this one hair trait up from my Dad?

2. I have been reading about it and it appear TRT can cause this. Pre-TRT I had full, thick hair. I am pulling more labs tomorrow but last labs my FT was 640 and DHT was right in the middle of the range at 59 in the range of 30 to 85 - at this time I was on about 93 mg/week with injections every 3 days. Right now I am on 100 mg per week with injections 2 times per week and no other meds. Nothing extreme so I would avoid side effect. I don't have any other environmental factors for baldness. Do you think it is caused by TRT?

3. Any suggestions on the latest and greatest? I have searched/read may posts but did not find much for 2018. Finnestrate pills do not seem like a good option. I can try Rogain and Ketoconazole shampoo. Anything else to try? Suggestions? What would you do? I could try dropping the TRT and see if I recover and stay on track with daily exercise and diet but I was low 300's before and was struggling.

Thanks.

MPB (male pattern baldness) is genetic and regardless of whether one is on trt or not it is inevitable and will happen at a certain time point in ones life.....some experience it in their early 20s where as others it will not start until decades later.

Testosterones metabolite dht plays a role but it really comes down to the sensitivity of ones AR (androgen receptor) to dht and ones threshold as balding can happen even in genetically prone individuals with lower dht levels.

Although other factors are involved in hair loss ones sensitivity of the AR to testosterone would play a big role.

Testosterone use/abuse can speed up the process in genetically prone individuals.

I know physically/mentally losing hair can be devastating for many men.

My hair started thinning when I hit 26 and I lost it.....was hard to deal with at such a young age.....eventually I reached a point where I accepted it and just shaved my head.....luckily my head suits the shaved look.

I think that in most younger men that experience hair loss it stabilizes by age 35-40 and than there is no further loss.

I did not start trt until I was 42 years old and my TT/free T levels are in the higher end of the physiological range along with a high/normal DHT level and I have never noticed any further hair loss!

I would use this as you said. Ketoconazole shampoo, and piggyback with my friends above that this is much more genetic than hormonal though DHT is roundly denounced as a cause of MPB which is false.

madman

Super Moderator

Thanks.

Attachments

• 9783642026355-c1.pdf
    920.1 KB · Views: 153

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I just moved this thread to the managing side effect section. I am noticing more misplaced posts from people.

Every time people post threads in the wrong folder, the info is less likely to be found later by someone that needs it.

I suggest to everyone to review all forum folders we have and post your new thread question accordingly:

https://www.excelmale.com/forum.php

Saul

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I was at the gym today and was checking out people's hair. Not something I usually do : ). Alot of people over ~ 40 either were clean shaven or had thinning on top - I bet 1/2. Several young guys too. Not sure why, but that made me feel better. Maybe it is part of getting older. I like the short or clean shaven look but my hair is very thick on the sides, front, back, and now thin on top. This year I hit 50 so I am struggling a bit with that and things were going so good in all other things TRT related.

I am of the opinion that it is TRT related. I would rather try to fix it than accept it.

Spoke to my older brother and his hair, which is like my Dad's (who is balding) is still full. So maybe the balding is a genetic pick-up from my Father.

Does this seem like a plan ???

Drop the Test from 100 per week to 70 or 80 mg per week and see how I feel at this level.
Use Rogain
Use ketoconazole shampoo
Review Nelson's post re other options such as a finistrade cream or spironolactone cream/foam.

If these don't work, I guess I just have to accept and make the best of it.

What would you do (assuming it is TRT related)? Stay on TRT and go bald on top or drop the TRT for your hair?

Id take a smaller reduction in the dose...if you cut it by 30mg total per week all at once seems like to big of a change to do all at once. IMO.

I just moved this thread to the managing side effect section. I am noticing more misplaced posts from people.

Every time people post threads in the wrong folder, the info is less likely to be found later by someone that needs it.

I suggest to everyone to review all forum folders we have and post your new thread question accordingly:

https://www.excelmale.com/forum.php

Hi Nelson, Do your moderators not have permissions to move threads? That is usually one of the main jobs a mod does to keep a forum organized.

to add my own on this subject, I have a very noticeable visually like a light spot on the crown of my head but running my hand over my entire I feel plenty of hair. Gonna have to ask my GF what she thinks of that.

Saul

to add my own on this subject, I have a very noticeable visually like a light spot on the crown of my head but running my hand over my entire I feel plenty of hair. Gonna have to ask my GF what she thinks of that.

That is where I am at. Visually I see some scalp where before it was all black. Still feels like hair but I can tell the direction it is headed. You bring up the GF, my wife does not seem to care and I get the strong impression she would take having sex again over a bald spot - so that is an important data point.

Saul I have had good success with generic minoxidil 5% from walgreens. 20 bucks for 2 oz. It doesn't really regrow hair it just seems to stop or slow the lose.
I tried some of the tripple action prescription stuff at $125 a bottle it did not go well. Burned my scalp and causes a dermatitis flareup.
It's been 8 months and my scalp is still extra dry and itchy from that stuff.

Saul

Saul I have had good success with generic minoxidil 5% from walgreens. 20 bucks for 2 oz. It doesn't really regrow hair it just seems to stop or slow the lose.
I tried some of the tripple action prescription stuff at $125 a bottle it did not go well. Burned my scalp and causes a dermatitis flareup.
It's been 8 months and my scalp is still extra dry and itchy from that stuff.

Thanks - good input.

lg1234

I'm 34, thinning on top, on trt 13 years. I'm in Europe and will be traveling to Poland to get a hair transplant next year. That could be an option worth looking in to, some doctors produce fantastic results

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me