Should I start a low dose statin

Buy Lab Tests Online
So my most recent lab results aren't great and my doctor would like me to start 10mg of lipitor to lower my LDL. I posted my last three labs. My LDL did drop slightly when I was using red yeast rice supplements for about three months. My doc believes its hereditary due to my triglycerides being good and my HDL being decent as well. My father use to run 4 miles a day through his 40s and had high LDL and went on statins because he couldn't lower it. If I go on, I plan on taking CoQ10 daily with it to alleviate any potential muscle aches. My doc isn't trying to force me on it, but he said the window is closing before I probably need to start taking one to lower my LDL. Any thoughts?

Component

Ref Range & Units

2 wk ago
(3/15/22)

1 yr ago
(1/6/21)

1 yr ago
(9/15/20)

Cholesterol, Total

100 - 200 mg/dL

277 High

239 High

260 High

Triglyceride

35 - 199 mg/dL

HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) Cholesterol

29.0 - 71.0 mg/dL

LDL Calculated

0 - 130 mg/dL

196 High

162 High

190 High

VLDL Cholesterol

mg/dL

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
So my most recent lab results aren't great and my doctor would like me to start 10mg of lipitor to lower my LDL. I posted my last three labs. My LDL did drop slightly when I was using red yeast rice supplements for about three months. My doc believes its hereditary due to my triglycerides being good and my HDL being decent as well. My father use to run 4 miles a day through his 40s and had high LDL and went on statins because he couldn't lower it. If I go on, I plan on taking CoQ10 daily with it to alleviate any potential muscle aches. My doc isn't trying to force me on it, but he said the window is closing before I probably need to start taking one to lower my LDL. Any thoughts?

Component

Ref Range & Units

2 wk ago
(3/15/22)

1 yr ago
(1/6/21)

1 yr ago
(9/15/20)

Cholesterol, Total

100 - 200 mg/dL

277 High

239 High

260 High

Triglyceride

35 - 199 mg/dL

HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) Cholesterol

29.0 - 71.0 mg/dL

LDL Calculated

0 - 130 mg/dL

196 High

162 High

190 High

VLDL Cholesterol

mg/dL

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio

It does make me wonder what your age is? If you're considering a statin, I would wonder if you have plaque in your arteries? About getting a heart scan to see if you do have any plaque growth.

Golfboy307

Heart disease is multi-factoral and complex. You also need to factor in your blood pressure, A1C, fasting glucose, inflammation markers and LP(a). Cholesterol is one piece of the puzzle.

That being said, I would see if your dr. will pull your LDL-P (particle count). That is a more direct connection to potential plaque buildup. Also, do a calcium score scan to see if you have any plaque buildup already. If all of those factors point to possible plaque, then you should of course consider a statin. Your triglycerides are on the high side, and your HDL is in range, but not robust.

Certainly something you have to consider once you know all of the other factors.

Heart disease is multi-factoral and complex. You also need to factor in your blood pressure, A1C, fasting glucose, inflammation markers and LP(a). Cholesterol is one piece of the puzzle.

That being said, I would see if your dr. will pull your LDL-P (particle count). That is a more direct connection to potential plaque buildup. Also, do a calcium score scan to see if you have any plaque buildup already. If all of those factors point to possible plaque, then you should of course consider a statin. Your triglycerides are on the high side, and your HDL is in range, but not robust.

Certainly something you have to consider once you know all of the other factors.
My blood pressure was 130/82 last week. My other test results including glucose are below.

Component

Ref Range & Units

2 wk ago
(3/15/22)

1 yr ago
(1/6/21)

1 yr ago
(9/15/20)

Glucose

70 - 110 mg/dL

Sodium

136 - 145 mmol/L

Potassium

3.6 - 5.1 mmol/L

Chloride

97 - 109 mmol/L

Carbon Dioxide (CO2)

22.0 - 32.0 mmol/L

Urea Nitrogen (BUN)

7 - 25 mg/dL

Creatinine

0.7 - 1.3 mg/dL

Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR), MDRD Estimate

>60 mL/min/1.73sq m

Calcium

8.7 - 10.3 mg/dL

AST

8 - 39 U/L

ALT

6 - 57 U/L

Alk Phos (alkaline Phosphatase)

34 - 104 U/L

Albumin

3.5 - 4.8 g/dL

Bilirubin, Total

0.3 - 1.2 mg/dL

Protein, Total

6.1 - 7.9 g/dL

A/G Ratio

1.0 - 5.0 gm/dL

Vince

Super Moderator
Most preventative doctors won't prescribe a statin unless you have coronary plaque. That's why you should get a heart scan if your arteries are clean. No reason for a statin. A statin will help stabilize your plaque, that's basically the only reason to use one.

mooseman109

I have been
ow dose crestor for 3 years now. Never had any muscle problems or other sides. I had an acute MI on April 15 2019. It was a close call. Never had high cholesterol or BP prior to. Genetics are what they are. The beta blocker for BP i take now is also low dose. I had slight ED before, now with the beta blocker it is more pronounced
I agree, do a scan to see what is in there. Also agree, with inflammation, sugar, ….. lots of moving parts. But do not blow it off, take action before you end up like me

So my doctor said he wouldn't order a coronary heart scan, mainly because insurance wouldn't cover it, but I was welcome to get one if I chose to. I was able to find a place ten minutes from my job that charges 99 dollars to get one. I am scheduling it today.

sfjohn

If you decide to go with a low dose statin, I personally would recommend Crestor over Lipitor. I find that both do a good job of lowering cholesterol but Lipitor lowered both my LDL and HDL. Crestor does a better job for me of not lowering my HDL while doing an even better job lowering my HDL. I’ve been using Crestor for years with no negative side effects.

wood78221

I have been on Pravastatin for 3 years. Its a fairly "weak" statin. I had similar numbers to yours HDL/LDL/Total. No side effects at all. My total is always about 155-160 now, fasted or not fasted. My primary care doc didnt want to put me on it until I was 40, but a cardiologist decided to put me on it. I am now 39.

My scan results are below. Best 99 bucks I ever spent. Definitely nice to know I have a score of zero even though my ldl is high. No statins for me right now.

Addendum

ADDENDUM REPORT: 05/02/2022 16:14

EXAM:
OVER-READ INTERPRETATION CT CHEST

The following report is an over-read performed by radiologist Dr.
Daniel Entrikinof Greensboro Radiology, PA on 5/2/2022. This
over-read does not include interpretation of cardiac or coronary
anatomy or pathology. The coronary calcium score interpretation by
the cardiologist is attached.

COMPARISON: None.

FINDINGS:
Within the visualized portions of the thorax there are no suspicious
appearing pulmonary nodules or masses, there is no acute
consolidative airspace disease, no pleural effusions, no
pneumothorax and no lymphadenopathy. Visualized portions of the
upper abdomen are unremarkable. There are no aggressive appearing
lytic or blastic lesions noted in the visualized portions of the
skeleton.

IMPRESSION:
1. No significant incidental noncardiac findings are noted.

Electronically Signed
By: Daniel Entrikin M.D.
On: 05/02/2022 16:14

Addended by Entrikin, Daniel W, MD on 5/2/2022 4:16 PM

Study Result

Narrative & Impression

CLINICAL DATA: Risk stratification

EXAM:
Coronary Calcium Score

TECHNIQUE:
The patient was scanned on a Siemens Somatom go.Top Scanner. Axial
non-contrast 3 mm slices were carried out through the heart. The
data set was analyzed on a dedicated work station and scored using
the Agatson method.

FINDINGS:
Non-cardiac: See separate report from Greensboro Radiology.

Ascending Aorta: Normal size

Pericardium: Normal

Coronary arteries: Normal origin of left and right coronary
arteries. Distribution of arterial calcifications if present, as
noted below;

LM 0

LAD 0

LCx 0

RCA 0

Total 0

IMPRESSION:
1. Normal coronary calcium score of 0. Patient is low risk for
coronary events.

2. CAC 0, CAC-DRS A0

Brian Agbor-Etang

Electronically Signed:
By: Brian Agbor-Etang M.D.
On: 05/02/2022 14:54

DragonBits

So my doctor said he wouldn't order a coronary heart scan, mainly because insurance wouldn't cover it, but I was welcome to get one if I chose to. I was able to find a place ten minutes from my job that charges 99 dollars to get one. I am scheduling it today.
It's good that your score is 0, but at age 44 you shouldn't have any coronary calcium. While at age 70, virtually everyone has some.

I assume the cost is dependent on where you live, around Schaumburg Il I got the CAC test for $49, but there are at least 3 major hospital systems within 15 miles of my location.

My first CAC score at age 65 was 79, then another test at age 67, it was 119. Still low risk for my age/situation. I was curious if vit d and koncentrated k would lower my cac score. I intend to get one more test this year, assuming it is still cheap.

Usually my ldl is between 98-140.

I signed up for a study on a new OTC version of crestor, I think it's 5mg. You have to pay $10 for the first round, there is a second round another $10, but they pay you for your time if you qualify and I guess they only pay of you stay for the entire study time. I figured, why not, my LDL is a little high, and they pay. You will need to do two video calls, I talked to their rep and I qualified, my first video call is scheduled for the near future. After the video is when they send the meds.

Google statin crestor otc.

There is a Calculator for where you fall in percentiles. Age 45 is the min age. At that age, ~78% of men have a 0 cac score.

At my age of 69, only 20% of white men have a zero cac score. I was a little disappointed my score was 119, but it's still low risk. I will be quite surprised if it falls and happy if it hasn't increased much.

calculator url.

locutus

short answer no. do your research. there is even a TED talk that statins only benefits 1/300 people. in short it is a pharma scam. lots of s/x. lipids are not your problem. if there is any problem it will be metabolic/cellular due to bad diet. (vegetable fats/sugars/grains etc).

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me