Protein Supplementation- How much do we need if working out to gain muscle?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
MPPH02848J0000[1].jpg

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of protein according to U.S. government standards is 0.8 gram per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of ideal body weight for the adult. This translates into 0.36 grams per pound of body weight per day. But as you probably know, the RDA requirements have been designed for healthy people. People with chronic infections may require more. However, there is very little research about this. If you are sicker, your requirements increase to support your body's production of immune cells, cytokines, lean body mass (LBM), and metabolic active tissues. The bodybuilding world usually follows a very high intake of 1 gram per pound of bodyweight per day. I think this may be too high for most of us to handle. Most people's gut can not handle more than 30-40 grams of protein per meal (higher amounts produce bloating, gas and indigestion in many). Some people can handle more if they take digestive enzymes.

I would say that if you have a pretty good exercise program and need to gain LBM, you may want at least 2 times the RDA for protein. Think of eating 3/4 of a gram of protein for each pound of ideal body weight. Your ideal weight is 160 pounds? You should eat 120 grams of protein a day. If you are actively wasting due to illness, 1 gram per pound per day may be needed, but it is very difficult for people to consume that kind of quantities due to nausea and lack of appetite.

Two of the most common milk based proteins are whey and casein. Whey seems to be a complete protein with all the branched chain aminoacids needed for health and lean body mass enhancement. Casein is also a complete protein and may be as effective and cheaper than whey. But both can be heavy on the gut for many of us with lactose intolerance.

There are four types of whey products:whey concentrates, whey isolates, whey hydrosolates, and ion exchanged whey. The first two have active immunoglobulins that may be beneficial to the immune system, and the last two are more expensive forms that claim to be more easily digested and that contain less lactose. People with milk protein intolerance usually cannot digest more whey proteins well, and have bloating, gas and diarrhea. In a small HIV study, the use of whey isolates did not improve lean body mass compared to placebo since people tended to decrease their total caloric consumption to compensate for the extra calories provided by the shake, so whey became a meal replacement, not a supplement. But there was a trend towards higher CD4 cells in the whey protein group. Whey can also increase glutathione, our body's own antioxidant.

Other protein powders are made of egg white, rice and soy. Egg white powders can be a good option for those intolerant to whey. Rice protein is not a complete protein, but it is the easiest to digest for those with sensitive digestive systems. Soy is good for women but it is also not a complete protein. I do not use soy since there are some indications that it may increase estrogen (female hormone) in men.

A meta analysis of protein supplement studies found that supplementing protein to account for more than 20 percent of total daily calories resulted in clinical benefits in different populations.

Keep in mind that these supplements should be just that: supplements and not meal replacements. I am allergic to whey and lactose so I prefer real food to get my protein uptake requirements (lean meats, eggs, cheese, nuts, etc)

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
I have had GREAT success with clients using this formula from Alan Aragon. It's worked very well from 20's something to over 50 years of age.

According to Aragon, to determine the number of calories you should eat each day, you need this equation:

Daily calories = Goal weight x (workout hours per week + 9.5)
• Protein grams = goal weight in pounds
• Fat grams = half goal weight in pounds
• Carbohydrate grams = [Daily calories – (protein calories + fat calories)]/4

NOTE:
o 1 gram of protein provides 4 calories
o 1 gram of carbohydrates provides 4 calories
o 1 gram of fat provides 9 calories

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
It would be cool to see how he came up with those numbers.

The 1 gram per pound per day of body weight goal has never been validated and it is a hard goal to attain for many. I have never been able to consume 210 grams per day of protein even with digestive enzymes. I think we can build muscle with much less than that.

Unless studies are done in metabolic labs where they measure nitrogen uptake with and without exercise, these data are speculative in my opinion.

In HIV studies we found no increase in lean body mass in people consuming whey protein compared to placebo. They ones consuming whey had a feed back issue in which their appetites decreased to compensate for the extra calories. Unless we force ourselves to eat without appetite and have good guts and kidneys to handle the extra load, I think only highly motivated people can attain a goal of 1 gram of protein per pound of desired body weight per day.

Fat consumption is easier since it is more calorie dense.

Dave Barry

*Athletes engaged in intense training need to ingest about 1.5 – 2 times the RDA of protein in their diet (1.5 to 2.0 g/kg/d) in order to maintain protein balance.
*General fitness program, protein needs can generally be met by ingesting 0.8 – 1.0 grams/kg/day of protein.
*Athletes involved in moderate amounts of intense training consume 1 – 1.5 grams/kg/day of protein.
*Athletes involved in high volume intense training consume 1.5 – 2.0 grams/kg/day of protein.

*Personally, I prefer Hydrolyzed protein for intra/post-workout.
*Casein during the evening.
*Whey isolate elsewhere.

Example of my post-workout shake:
*20 ounces of spring water
*50 grams of hydrolyzed protein
*2 grams of beta-alanine
*5 grams of mono-hydrate, micronized creatine
*10 grams BCAA
*70 grams Vitargo

Intra-workout:
*16 ounces of spring water
*25 grams of hydrolyzed protein