Pharmacokinetics and Acceptability of Subcutaneous Injection of Testosterone Undecanoate

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Context

Can injectable testosterone undecanoate (TU) be administered effectively and acceptably by the subcutaneous route?

Objective

To investigate the acceptability and pharmacokinetics (PK) of sc injection of TU.

Design

Randomized sequence, cross-over clinical study of sc vs im TU injections.

Setting

Ambulatory clinic of an academic Andrology centre.

Participants

Twenty men (11 hypogonadal, 9 transmen) who were long-term users of TU injections.

Intervention

Injection of 1000 mg TU (in 4 ml castor oil vehicle) by sc or im route.

Main Outcome Measures

Patient reported Pain, Acceptability and Preference scales. PK by measurement of serum testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estradiol (E2) concentrations with application of population PK methods and dried blood spot (DBS) sampling.

Results

Pain was greater after sc compared with im injection 24 hour (but not immediately) after injection but both routes were equally acceptable.
Ultimately 11 preferred im, 6 preferred sc and 3 had no preference. The DBS-based PK analysis of serum testosterone revealed a later time of peak testosterone concentration after sc vs im injection (8.0 vs 3.3 days) but no significant route differences in model-predicted peak testosterone concentration (8.4 vs 9.6 ng/ml) or mean resident time (183 vs 110 days). The PK of venous serum testosterone, DHT and E2 did not differ according to route of injection.

Conclusions

We conclude that sc TU injection is acceptable but produces greater pain 24 hours after injection which may contribute to the overall majority preference for the im injection.
The PK of testosterone, DHT or E2 did not differ substantially between sc and im routes. Hence while further studies are required, the sc route represents an alternative to im injections without a need to change dose for men where im injection is not desired or recommended.

We conclude that with clinic-based delivery sc injection of TU is effective with similar PK parameters to im TU so not requiring dose modification. It is acceptable but generally less preferable compared with im TU for men. Thereby sc TU injection constitutes an alternative delivery route in circumstances where im injection is not desired, feasible or recommended. Despite causing slightly more injection site pain 24 hours after injection, sc injection was generally acceptable but not preferred over im injection by most participants in this study who were long-term satisfied users of im TU. These preliminary findings indicate that sc injection may prove a viable alternative delivery route where required. Whether self-injection of either the 4ml or two 2ml injections is feasible or acceptable remains to be determined.

Attachments

• JULY12-SUBCUTANEOUS-TU-js.2019-00134.pdf
    981.4 KB · Views: 114
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Screenshot (373).png

madman

Super Moderator
Figure 1: Plot of dried blood spot analysis of serum testosterone after sc (gree dots) and im (red dots) injection of 1000 mg TU in 4 ml castor oil vehicle and a model of the sc (green line) and im (red line) data fitted to a biexponential curve. For further details see Methods and Results.
Screenshot (374).png

madman

Super Moderator
Figure 2: Serum testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estradiol after sc and im injections of 1000 mg TU in 4 ml castor oil vehicle. Data are mean and standard error of the mean
Screenshot (375).png

I’ve been doing SC injections since I started using TRT (1year now) with no problems..I use a 30 gauge, 8 mm insulin syringe..I just started shallow IM in the shoulders with the same sized syringe as per Nelson’s suggestions..this was done to add injection options..so far i’ve Had great success with this protocol and no AI’s have been needed..

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Wow, 4 mL is a huge dose for subcutaneous administration. But it's good to see another study yielding results comparable to the Antares work (XYOSTED).

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me