Is dhea an androgen?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Everytime I tell a doctor I took she's,they state it is an androgen and is unsafe. Is dhea an androgen,I always looked at it as an adrenal.hormone much like cortisone

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BigTex

DHEA is technically an endogenous steroid hormone precursor.

DHEA.jpg

Here is a pretty good article about the life extension benefits of DHEA. Lots of doctors never upgrade their knowledge after they get their medical license.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
That chart explains why 50 mg of DHEA shot my estrone (E1) through the roof. I wish more people would run fractionated estrogen labs before after taking DHEA because I doubt I'm the only one who responds that way. It also tanked my total testosterone from 600 to 400 ng/dL (natty). After my experience, I can't see any appeal in supplementing with it.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Going further into the Wiki article you get the answer to the original question: Yes, DHEA is an androgen, albeit a weak one. It's also a weak estrogen.

DHEA and other adrenal androgens such as androstenedione, although relatively weak androgens, are responsible for the androgenic effects of adrenarche, such as early pubic and axillary hair growth, adult-type body odor, increased oiliness of hair and skin, and mild acne. DHEA is potentiated locally via conversion into testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the skin and hair follicles. Women with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome (CAIS), who have a non-functional androgen receptor (AR) and are immune to the androgenic effects of DHEA and other androgens, have absent or only sparse/scanty pubic and axillary hair and body hair in general, demonstrating the role of DHEA and other androgens in body hair development at both adrenarche and pubarche.
Although it functions as an endogenous precursor to more potent androgens such as testosterone and DHT, DHEA has been found to possess some degree of androgenic activity in its own right, acting as a low affinity (Ki = 1 μM), weak partial agonist of the androgen receptor (AR). However, its intrinsic activity at the receptor is quite weak, and on account of that, due to competition for binding with full agonists like testosterone, it can actually behave more like an antagonist depending on circulating testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels, and hence, like an antiandrogen. However, its affinity for the receptor is very low, and for that reason, is unlikely to be of much significance under normal circumstances.

I went to a doctor to assess my spine injuries. He asked me what meds I take,I listed she's as one. But on his report he said it was prasterone,my understanding is that prasterone is mostly used for women and so I don't think he was justified in stating that I wasvtak

JmarkH

I believe that technically prasterone and DHEA are the same things. Like saying Fe or iron.
For my amusement: Why did they call him Iron Man and not Fe-Male?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me