how much protein a person should take a day

Buy Lab Tests Online

andrewst0ne

I generally go to the GYM center wearing my earpods with a portion of my fav melodies playing on them, till now it was going incredible in light of the fact that I wasn't told to take protein yet presently my coach advised me to take protein. He didn't let me know how much or which protein I should take. will you all recommend me? I will be doing heavy lifting from now onwards.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
I generally go to the GYM center wearing my earpods with a portion of my fav melodies playing on them, till now it was going incredible in light of the fact that I wasn't told to take protein yet presently my coach advised me to take protein. He didn't let me know how much or which protein I should take. will you all recommend me? I will be doing heavy lifting from now onwards.

I would not get too caught up in the so-called needing 1.5-2 g protein/lb body weight/day) bullshit.

1 g protein/lb body weight/day would be more than enough!

Numerous sources to choose from such as beef, game, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, or combined vegetarian sources such as beans/lentils + grains.

The majority of your protein intake should revolve around whole food sources which are dense in nutrients.

Numerous supplemental sources such as whey concentrate/isolate, micellar casein, EAA, pea/soy isolate, hemp, and rice.

Consuming whey protein or EAA would be beneficial pre/intra/post-workout.

Q1: For young, college-aged weight lifters, how much protein should she/he be consuming per day?

[SP]: I think they should aim for between 1.6 and 2.2 g protein/kg body weight/day (0.7-1 g protein/lb body weight/day) and try and divide that into 3, maybe 4, meals per day and evenly distribute that protein, if possible. So try and eat protein at every meal. You can certainly eat more protein but the gains you make if you’re lifting won’t be any greater. Some folks want to say that you lose more fat with intakes beyond this, but there’s no evidence for that concept either.

19:12-29:30 (1.6-2.2 g protein/kg body weight/day )

3:18-6:25 (1.6-2.2 g protein/kg body weight/day )

Fernando Almaguer

I would not get too caught up in the so-called needing 1.5-2 g protein/lb body weight/day) bullshit.

Numerous sources to choose from such as beef, game, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, or combined vegetarian sources such as beans/lentils + grains.

The majority of your protein intake should revolve around whole food sources which are dense in nutrients.

Numerous supplemental sources such as whey concentrate/isolate, micellar casein, EAA, pea/soy isolate, hemp, and rice.

Q1: For young, college-aged weight lifters, how much protein should she/he be consuming per day?

[SP]: I think they should aim for between 1.6 and 2.2 g protein/kg body weight/day (0.7-1 g protein/lb body weight/day) and try and divide that into 3, maybe 4, meals per day and evenly distribute that protein, if possible. So try and eat protein at every meal. You can certainly eat more protein but the gains you make if you’re lifting won’t be any greater. Some folks want to say that you lose more fat with intakes beyond this, but there’s no evidence for that concept either.

It is not bullshit if it works and the 1 gram per lb is a fraction away from 1.5.. other than that you seem spot on!

Kenny Croxdale

1.5 to 2 grams per lb of body weight is the school of thought going around. Get you some
Correction

It should have been stated as 1.5 to 2.0 gram per kilogram of body weight.

200 lb Body Weight Example

1) 1.5 to 2.0 gram per pound = 300 to 400 gram per day; which is too much.

2) 1.5 to 2.0 gram per kilo = 136 to 181 gram per day; which is the general recommendation.

Kenny Croxdale

jobshopper

I asked my doctor about this and his reply made much more sense. He said to shoot for 1g per pound of lean muscle. That kind of makes more sense because who would expect a 500 pound fat person to eat 500g - 1000g of protein per day?

An inactive grown-up ought to devour 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound. That implies that the normal stationary man ought to eat around 56 grams of protein each day, and the normal lady ought to eat around 46 grams. I got my beloved GNC AMP Pure Isolate 2 kg (Chocolate Frosting) which I could return back satisfying the GNC Return Policy assuming I really try to avoid it or think that they are flawed.

andrewst0ne

Thanks for the reply bro, BTW I am a pure vegetarian so I don't eat non-veg. i hope you got it. and that is the reason my trainer told me to take some extra protein than normal builders take.

andrewst0ne

My current weight is 86kg. so, If I take 1.5g per weight on a day. how I should take it, I mean, I should take 129gram of protein in one shot, or should divide it. if i have to divide it than on which base i should take.
i hope you guys got it what i am trying to say

andrewst0ne

An inactive grown-up ought to devour 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound. That implies that the normal stationary man ought to eat around 56 grams of protein each day, and the normal lady ought to eat around 46 grams. I got my beloved GNC AMP Pure Isolate 2 kg (Chocolate Frosting) which I could return back satisfying the GNC Return Policy assuming I really try to avoid it or think that they are flawed.
okay bro i will give a look to it.

jobshopper

It is not that simple. It depends on your age, activity, calories input, digestion, recovery requirement ect.. According to that it should be 1-3g per kg of total BW.
So, what would you say should be the amount of protein a 500 pound, 68 year old, sedentary many should consume per day? Please advise.

newuser

My current weight is 86kg. so, If I take 1.5g per weight on a day. how I should take it, I mean, I should take 129gram of protein in one shot, or should divide it. if i have to divide it than on which base i should take.
i hope you guys got it what i am trying to say
If you consume high carbs diet I believe 1-1.2g per kg should be fine for your purpose. Carbs are protein sparing. The best would be to divide protein equally each meal.

Johnny6419

Hi here I can tell you how much protein should you take in a day;

According to the researchers, if your weight is 85 kg then you can take 65 g of protein a day.

Anonymon

As an added wrinkle to all this, if you’re having issues with low cortisol like me, you can help with glycogen retention while not going crazy on carbs by upping protein, which seems to lower your cortisol less in response. Seems to preferentially convert to glycogen in excess, which is probably why some diets like the Palumbo diet and Carnivore can work well for some and not leave you flat.

BigTex

I thought you guys would like to see some research done by a long time friend of mine:

Antonio, J., Peacock, C.A., Ellerbroek, A. et al. The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 11, 19 (2014). The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals - Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition

4.4g/kg = 2g/lb bodyweight

Conclusion
This is the first investigation in resistance-trained individuals which demonstrates that a hypercaloric high protein diet does not contribute to a fat mass gain. Furthermore, there was no change in body weight or lean body mass.

They did add this caveat towards the end; It would be intriguing to ascertain if a high protein diet concurrent with a heavy resistance bodybuilding training regimen would affect body composition (i.e. increase lean body mass and lower fat mass).

So it may just be that they heavier you train and the more hours you put into it may increase the need for amino acids. The train of thought is most recreational type weight lifters may need at max 1g/lb. Those that are training 1.5 hours a day 5-6 days a week, some anabolic steroid use may even need 1.5g/d/lb. Once you get into the competitive phase those needs may go up even further as training times may increase to 2 x/d with increases in cardio and a heavy array of anabolic steroids, IGF-1, HGH and insulin.

So it may be in fact be intriguing to see if proteins needs increase with highly trained bodybuilders in competition for a show. One thing most pros will tell you about protein intake is the importance of the extra calories and the increase in the thermic effect of food. That combined with high doses of anabolic steroids and HGH may mean further looses in body fat levels and the ability to actually grow or keep mass in the cutting phase.

Interestingly enough I did a 3 day diet recall on Mr. Olympia Phil Heath a few years back. Here are the general results:

Phil Heath
BW - - 280 lbs
He consumes 33cal/lb/bw
Daily protein = 3.25g/lb/bw
Daily total consumption: 9394 calories, 910g protein, 881g carbs, 239g fat

Protein = 910g = 3640 cal (39%)
Carbs = 881g = 3524 cal (38%)
Fat - 239g = 211 cal (23%)

Is this uncommon, absolutely not. Check out some of the strong man diets, Olympic swimmer diets or even some of the pro-football players diets.

Now does this mean we all need to consumer 1g/lb of protein? Absolutely not. most can get away with much less.

Last edited:

Kenny Croxdale

I would recommend 0.8-1 g per kg of your weight would suffice

Too Low

First of all, this is too low.

Most individual, especially older one, need about 1.5 gm/kg body weigh.

Secondly, one of the vital components that need to be focused on it...

Serving Per Meal

Research shows that minimum serving per meal needs to be at least 30 plus gram of Quality Protein

Older individual need closer to 40 gram.

This has to do with...

Leucine

Leucine is the amino acid that is necessary for maintaining and/or increasing muscle mass.

The minimal amount needed is 2.5 gram meal with older individual needing 3.0 gram of Leucine or more per meal.

Dr. Donald Layman

Layman found that the majority of individual only have one meal a day that provide enough Leucine to maintain muscle mass; Dinner.

This is one of the reason that as individual age, they slowly lose muscle mass.

To effectively maintain or increase muscle mass, individual need to consume enough Protein (Leucine) at Breakfast and Lunch.

This information can easily be found on line.

Kenny Croxdale

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching