Clomiphene Citrate for Male Hypogonadism

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
ABSTRACT

Background
Male hypogonadism is a clinical and biochemical androgen insufficiency syndrome, becoming more prevalent with age. Exogenous testosterone is the first choice therapy, with several side effects, including negative feedback of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, resulting in suppression of intratesticular testosterone production and spermatogenesis. To preserve these testicular functions while treating male hypogonadism clomiphene citrate (CC) is used as off-label therapy. This systematic review and meta-analysis aimed to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of CC therapy for men with hypogonadism.

Methods – The EMBASE, PubMed, Cochrane databases were searched in May 2021, for effective studies of men with hypogonadism treated with CC. Both intervention and observational studies were included. The Effective Public Health Practice Project Quality Assessment Tool, a validated instrument was used to assess methodological study quality. The primary outcome measure was the evaluation of serum hormone concentration. Secondary outcomes were symptoms of hypogonadism, metabolic- and lipid profile, side-effects, safety aspects.

Results – We included 19 studies, comprising four randomized controlled trials and 15 observational studies, resulting in 1642 patients. Seventeen studies were included in the meta-analysis, with a total of 1279 patients. Therapy and follow-up duration varied between one and a half and 52 months. Total testosterone (TT) increased by 2.60 (95% CI 1.82 – 3.38) during CC treatment. An increase was also seen in free testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone, sex hormone-binding globulin, and estradiol. Different symptom scoring methods were used in the included studies. The most frequently used instrument was the Androgen Deficiency in Aging Malesquestionnaire, which score improved during treatment. Reported side-effects were only prevalent in less than 10% of the study populations and no serious adverse events were reported.

Conclusion – CC is an effective therapy for improving both biochemical as well as clinical symptoms of males suffering from hypogonadism. CC has few reported side effects and good safety aspects.

BACKGROUND

Hypogonadism is a common medical condition among men.1,2 Hypogonadism is a clinical and biochemical testosterone insufficiency syndrome, affecting various organ functions and quality of life, according to the European Association of Urology. 3,4 Common symptoms of hypogonadism are erectile dysfunction, reduced sexual activity and -desire, mood changes, and loss of muscle strength. 5,6 The prevalence for symptomatic hypogonadism at age 40-79 years, varies between 2.1%- 5.7% 2,6 and increases with age and presence of obesity, cardiovascular disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Diabetes Mellitus (DM) type 2, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), chronic kidney disease, malignancies, and metabolic syndrome. 7

Causes of hypogonadism can be classified based on disruptions in various levels of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis.
Primary hypogonadism is the most frequent cause of hypogonadism, resulting in low serum testosterone concentration and high serum gonadotropin concentration. 3 Primary hypogonadism results from direct testicular failure; the most common reasons are Klinefelter syndrome and testicular tumors.8,9 On the opposite, in secondary hypogonadism the testis are inadequately stimulated by gonadotropins, resulting in hypogonadism, usually with reduced or inappropriately normal serum concentration of gonadotropins. 3 Reasons for secondary hypogonadism are, e.g. hyperprolactinemia, Kallmann’s syndrome, and obesity.3,10,11 Adult-onset hypogonadism or late-onset hypogonadism, is a symptomatic testosterone deficiency in middle-aged and older men, with normal HPG-axis function. 6,12

Testosterone therapy (TTh) is the first-choice treatment for men with hypogonadism.13 The goal of this treatment aims to increase serum testosterone and restore androgen-dependent functions, e.g. muscle mass and strength, sexual functions, bone density, and general well-being. 4,14 However, TTh has some notable side effects. Subfertility is one of the most crucial side-effects of TTh, especially for men with an active or possible future child wish, because endogenous testosterone is reduced by negative feedback.15 Other side-effects are, e.g. increase in prostate volume, increase in prostate-specific antigen (PSA), elevated hematocrit (Ht) and serum estrogen concentration, and serum lipid alterations.15–17

Several studies and reviews are published about the effects of CC on subfertility. Few of these studies specifically examined the effect of CC in men with hypogonadism. 24–26 The purpose of this study was to determine if CC is an effective and safe therapy for men with hypogonadism. For this purpose, we conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to provide oversight of the current literature on the effectiveness and safety of CC therapy for men with hypogonadism.

*To our knowledge, this is the first systematic review with meta-analysis of this subject, with various strengths and a large study population. With a limited number of studies on this subject with different study designs, it was difficult to find a reliable quality assessment tool. However, one of the strengths is that we found a validated instrument, suitable for all types of study designs. Furthermore, with the inclusion of both RCTs and observational studies, the study population in our study may cause a better representation of the patient population in daily clinical practice. Another strength is that with the sensitivity analysis for study design and study quality the results were still consistent.

CONCLUSION

CC for men with hypogonadism improves both clinical symptoms and biochemical testosterone insufficiency. CC therapy has few reported side effects and good safety aspects. It is probably necessary to stay on CC therapy to keep the biochemical and clinical effects. In our opinion, CC is a potentially effective and safe treatment and should be considered as a therapy in men with symptomatic hypogonadism, especially for those with an active or future child wish.

Attachments

• Andrology - 2021 - Huijben - Clomiphene Citrate for Men with Hypogonadism ‐ A Systematic Revie...pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Jucaro

But whenever I take clomiphene I go asexual.
Now I desire fertility but I can't use clomiphene. However, Tamoxiphene don't kill my libido; in spite of giving me other physical side effects, libido and erections are ok. But there are concerns about some damage in DNA (affecting the sperm). I have been searching for studies that confirm that possible damage and risk, but haven't found it.
Do you have any information or paper about it @madman ?

jkp062814

My endocrinologist prescribed clomiphene citrate to me roughly 5 years ago (I was 28yo at the time). Had low T symptoms, labs confirmed. Endo first did the "Clomid test" in which I took, I believe, 100mg daily for 10 days and then had labs done. Labs confirmed that I had secondary hypogonadism rather than primary, so my body was able to produce T. She tried to kickstart my HPTA with a lower dose for several months before slowly stopping usage.

Besides more mental clarity and maybe less joint pain, I can't say that I ever felt any other symptoms improve significantly. Unfortunately once I stopped usage, my numbers tanked again. We checked for a pituitary tumor, nothing, so she thinks it may be genetic. Since my wife and I wanted to have kids, she agreed to keep me on very low-dose clomiphene for several years. Fortunate enough to have quickly conceived my first son in 2018 and just had a second son in Sept of this year.

Since we wanted to stop after having two kids, my endo agreed to start testosterone, which has been studied much longer and typically has a better chance of increasing Free T (clomid never really increased my free T into the normal range). Endo started me on just 25mg daily gel. Did that for 2.5 months, labs still showed very low T. She increased to 50mg daily gel which I used for one month before convincing my family doctor that the gel is too messy, especially with young kids, too expensive and inconvenient. He agreed and switched me to 50mg weekly test cyp IM injections. Had my first shot on 12/17 and gave myself the next one on 12/24. I really wish he had started me out a bit higher as it seems that 100mg (split into two weekly shots) seems to be very common to start out with. I plan to try and convince one of them to increase, as I feel that I've spent 4.5 months now using gels and low dose injections and don't feel much better in any areas yet.

All of that to say, Clomid worked for me in terms of increasing my levels while maintaining fertility!

Jucaro

My endocrinologist prescribed clomiphene citrate to me roughly 5 years ago (I was 28yo at the time). Had low T symptoms, labs confirmed. Endo first did the "Clomid test" in which I took, I believe, 100mg daily for 10 days and then had labs done. Labs confirmed that I had secondary hypogonadism rather than primary, so my body was able to produce T. She tried to kickstart my HPTA with a lower dose for several months before slowly stopping usage.

Besides more mental clarity and maybe less joint pain, I can't say that I ever felt any other symptoms improve significantly. Unfortunately once I stopped usage, my numbers tanked again. We checked for a pituitary tumor, nothing, so she thinks it may be genetic. Since my wife and I wanted to have kids, she agreed to keep me on very low-dose clomiphene for several years. Fortunate enough to have quickly conceived my first son in 2018 and just had a second son in Sept of this year.

Since we wanted to stop after having two kids, my endo agreed to start testosterone, which has been studied much longer and typically has a better chance of increasing Free T (clomid never really increased my free T into the normal range). Endo started me on just 25mg daily gel. Did that for 2.5 months, labs still showed very low T. She increased to 50mg daily gel which I used for one month before convincing my family doctor that the gel is too messy, especially with young kids, too expensive and inconvenient. He agreed and switched me to 50mg weekly test cyp IM injections. Had my first shot on 12/17 and gave myself the next one on 12/24. I really wish he had started me out a bit higher as it seems that 100mg (split into two weekly shots) seems to be very common to start out with. I plan to try and convince one of them to increase, as I feel that I've spent 4.5 months now using gels and low dose injections and don't feel much better in any areas yet.

All of that to say, Clomid worked for me in terms of increasing my levels while maintaining fertility!
Yes, no doubt clomid helps, but unfortunately it only do its jobs while taking it, once you stop, numbers come down to the initial state...
And for some men, like me, it kills sexual drive, it seems to be depending more on age, I am 53. For me clomid is not worthy cause it gives me good numbers but produce a worse problem than infertility...

MIP1950

Several years ago I asked my urologist about trying it. He told me it's contradicted in older men because it could induce visual problems. I talked with a guy on another forum and he told me his endocrinologist told him the same thing. It seems, though, to produce a good response in young men.

Jucaro

Several years ago I asked my urologist about trying it. He told me it's contradicted in older men because it could induce visual problems. I talked with a guy on another forum and he told me his endocrinologist told him the same thing. It seems, though, to produce a good response in young men.
I think visual problems are not so frequent and is something related to higher doses, so it is not to be taken in considertation in first place...

Last edited:

MIP1950

I think visual problems are not so frequent and is something related to higher doses, so it is not to be taken in considertation in first place...
The dosage was either 25 or 50 mg. Not high. And the possibility of a serious side effect should be taken in consideration by a doctor.

Jucaro

The dosage was either 25 or 50 mg. Not high. And the possibility of a serious side effect should be taken in consideration by a doctor.
Of course should be taken in consideration by a doctor, for each individual case, I just can say there are many studies showing clomid is very safe, incidence of visual problema are uncomonly reported and is directly correlated with the dose...
25mg eod is unlikely to produce visual problems.

MIP1950

Of course should be taken in consideration by a doctor, for each individual case, I just can say there are many studies showing clomid is very safe, incidence of visual problema are uncomonly reported and is directly correlated with the dose...
25mg eod is unlikely to produce visual problems.
Understand. At the time I was 65 or 66 and he didn't think even a low risk of visual problems was worth prescribing it. That's why I trust my urologist.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Would they ship abroad (Spain)?
I'm pretty sure they would not. There are some Indian brands out there that ship worldwide. En-Clofert is one example. But I know nothing about the legitimacy of the products or their suppliers, so you would need to do your own research.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me