BPH and nutrition

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Summary

Background: and aims: Benign Prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is an important public health problem. Roughly half of all men will suffer from BPH related symptoms later in life. The prostate gland, a hormone-dependent part of the male reproductive system, is susceptible to internal and external disruptions of regulatory systems. We attempt in this paper to collect available evidence on the influence of lifestyle modifications, and naturally occurring substances, plants, micronutrients, and supplements on BPH symptoms.

Methods: Systematic review was performed within the MEDLINE database and Cochrane Library Central Search using a combination of Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) and keywords. Results: Moderate exercise and the type and amount of protein intake have a considerable influence on BPH symptoms. The intake of zinc and vitamin D also positively influences BPH symptoms, and so do certain supplements, such as saw palmetto, cemilton and pygeum extracts.

Conclusions: Lifestyle changes, diet modification, and certain nutritional supplements can favorably influence BPH symptoms.

BPH is characterized by the appearance of hyperplastic nodules found primarily in the periurethral region and transition zone of the prostate where it enlarges and starts impinging on the urethra.
This results in a constellation of symptoms called lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). These include irritative voiding symptoms such as frequency, urgency, and nocturia, and obstructive symptoms such as a weak urinary stream, incomplete bladder emptying, straining to void, and an intermittent stream.

This condition predominantly affects older men. About 75% of men >50 yr of age suffer from BPH-related symptoms. Additionally, 20-30% of men reaching 80 yr of age require surgical intervention for the management of BPH [1,2]

2. Evidence acquisition

3. Prevalence

4. Etiology

5. Pathophysiology

6. Role of lifestyle in BPH

7. Influence of diet in BPH

7.1. Total energy intake and type of diet
7.2. Soy
7.3. Cholesterol
7.4. Omega-3 fatty acid
7.5. Onion and garlic
7.6. Alcohol and smoking
7.7. Zinc
7.8. Coffee
7.9. Amino acids
7.10. Cranberry
7.11. Vitamin D

8. Other dietary supplements (Table 2)
8.1. Cadmium
8.2. Lycopene
8.3. Beta-sitosterol
8.4. Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens)
8.5. Rye grass pollen
8.6. Pygeum africanum (synonym: Prunus africana)
8.7. Urtica dioica (stinging nettle)

9. Conclusion

Therapeutic goals in BPH include normalization of prostate nutrient levels, restoration of steroid hormones to normal levels, inhibition of overproduction of DHT, reduction of inflammatory processes, and limitation of promoters of hyperplastic process. Altering the progression of BPH by lifestyle modification, dietary changes, or supplementation with nutritional supplements is long known but not widely adopted. Performing moderate exercise 4-6 times a week, following a diet rich in vegetable protein and low in animal protein, fortification of the diet with zinc and Vitamin D rich foods, and intake of supplements like Saw palmetto, Cemilton, and Pygeum extracts may help in controlling prostate growth and related LUTS.

Attachments

• 2020OCT8-BPH-das2019.pdf
    620.4 KB · Views: 95
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 1. Relationship between age, metabolic syndrome, inflammation, hormonal alterations, and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) [11].
Screenshot (2147).png

madman

Super Moderator
Fig. 2. Influences affecting the promotion and prevention of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) and lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). DHT ¼ dihydrotestosterone; IGF ¼ insulin-like growth factor [22].
Screenshot (2148).png

Scottsyracuse

Table 2 Recommended dosage and side effects of commonly used nutritional supplements used for BPH.
View attachment 11062
Madman, the unwanted gastrointestinal side effects are not all I've experienced with Beta-Sitosterol. It immediately taps into my workout horsepower and it does not elevate sexual function as one reader claimed. I lift and do taxing cardio/heavy bag work daily and it is noticeable, it seems all the orals indicated for BPH problems do. Flomax also makes me tire quickly, not breathing too hard just no fortitude. I know some other guys who workout daily noticed this and had to quit it.
The root problem is getting up at night several times to wait out urgent/slow/weak urination. It's eating into sleep quality and my guess is that it's aging me.
At 60, I feel I better do something. Like the GreenLight EH sparing procedure. Thoughts? Recommend an East coast clinic? Any discussion welcome.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me