High ferritin after coming off trt?

Buy Lab Tests Online

MDS90

Been on trt for 6 years. The last bloodwork I had done before going off was done 1.5 years prior to stopping trt and the ferritin at that time showed 315. Blodwork now done 6 weeks after stopping trt showed an ferritin of 530. Then a follow up test 5 weeks later showed 610. Is there a possibility that this can be caused by the sesation of of trt? My total test came back at 216 ng/dl

Iron came back at 24 umol/l
TIBC at 54 umol/l
Transferin saturation 45%

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

Ferritin is more a test for inflammation rather than iron status. Too much iron is toxic to the body. Ferritin above 100 is strongly associated with decreased life expectancy. A ferritin of 500 and life expectancy is in the 50s.

Mastodont

Of course it is rising, the same way it goes down when getting on trt, it is due to exogenous testosterone suppressing hepcidin.

MDS90

Of course it is rising, the same way it goes down when getting on trt, it is due to exogenous testosterone suppressing hepcidin.
Aha, thanks for the insight! But would it be expected to be elevated to this extent? Considering that my ferritin prior to starting trt was 190. Is there a rebound effect when coming off trt?

ajax31

No one should have a ferritin level that high. You need to see a hematologist or a gastroenterologist. Insist on having a genetic test for hereditary hemochromatosis.

More information:

Other than that, iron overload can be iatrogenic - for example, multiple RBC transfusions or excessive iron supplementation. Hyperferritinemia can also be caused by an infection and uncontrolled inflammation.

You need to find out what’s going on.

MDS90

No one should have a ferritin level that high. You need to see a hematologist or a gastroenterologist. Insist on having a genetic test for hereditary hemochromatosis.

More information:

Other than that, iron overload can be iatrogenic - for example, multiple RBC transfusions or excessive iron supplementation. Hyperferritinemia can also be caused by an infection and uncontrolled inflammation.

You need to find out what’s going on.

Thank you! I do have some white coating on the back of my tongue. I want to get it tested to figure out if it is a yeast overgrowth. I also have some sinus pressure from time to time. These two could potentially explain the rise in ferritin while my other markers for iron are normal. However, I did have the coating on my tongue when my ferritin was at 315 prior to stopping trt

MDS90

Follow up with the doc today;

He said that it is coming from my red meat consumption. I eat 5-600 grams of venison every day. He advised to cut the red meat out of thet diet. No word on phlebotomies.

I think it was strange that he could be so certain that it actually is iron, and not due to inflammation given that all my markers for iron is in range

Mastodont

He would say that, but it's most likely just a rebound, is blood donation not an option for you? Anyway have some dairy and coffee with your red meat to block iron absorption for a while if you're not going to donate.

MDS90

He would say that, but it's most likely just a rebound, is blood donation not an option for you? Anyway have some dairy and coffee with your red meat to block iron absorption for a while if you're not going to donate.

Thanks, mate! I am starting to think that it is a rebound too. I could find a study that showed a significant negative association between testosterone levels and ferritin (The Association between the Levels of Serum Ferritin and Sex Hormones in a Large Scale of Chinese Male Population)

Doc didn't think a donation would be necessary but asked if I could cut red meat for 3 months. I'll switch some of it out with chicken or fish for a while and do you like you suggest adding coffee, dairy and also some green tea with the meals.

I went off self-prescribed trt to try and get a prescription so it will be interesting to see the ferritin once I am back on

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me