Pomegranate kills prostate cancer cells

Buy Lab Tests Online

Phoenix

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pros.22900/abstract?campaign=woletoc

BACKGROUND

Ellagic acid (EA), a component of pomegranate fruit juice (PFJ), is a plant-derived polyphenol and has antioxidant properties. PFJ and EA have been reported to suppress various cancers, including prostate cancer. However, their chemopreventive effects on development and progression of prostate cancer using in vivo models have not been established yet.

METHODS

The transgenic rat for adenocarcinoma of prostate (TRAP) model was used to investigate the modulating effects of PFJ and EA on prostate carcinogenesis. Three-week-old male transgenic rats were treated with EA or PFJ for 10 weeks. In vitro assays for cell growth, apoptosis, and Western blot were performed using the human prostate cancer cell lines, LNCaP (androgen-dependent), PC-3 and DU145 (androgen-independent).

RESULTS

PFJ decreased the incidence of adenocarcinoma in lateral prostate, and both EA and PFJ suppressed the progression of prostate carcinogenesis and induced apoptosis by caspase 3 activation in the TRAP model. In addition, the level of lipid peroxidation in ventral prostate was significantly decreased by EA treatment. EA was able to inhibit cell proliferation of LNCaP, whereas this effect was not observed in PC-3 and DU145. As with the in vivo data, EA induced apoptosis in LNCaP by increasing Bax/Bcl-2 ratio and caspase 3 activation. Cell-cycle related proteins, p21[SUP]WAF[/SUP], p27[SUP]Kip[/SUP], cdk2, and cyclin E, were increased while cyclin D1 and cdk1 were decreased by EA treatment.

CONCLUSIONS

The results indicate that PFJ and EA are potential chemopreventive agents for prostate cancer, and EA may be the active component of PFJ that exerts these anti-cancer effects. Prostate 75:151–160, 2015. © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Phoenix

I'm hoping it proves to reduce if not cure.
I drink 8 oz. a day of the juice for my cardio vascular system. Any other benefits would be a bonus.

Re-Ride

The benefits ascribed to poms are wide ranging. Fuhrman reports that punicaligan, found only in poms, has 'amazing clinically proven cardio vascular benefits", "melts away atherosclerotic plaque" , "stimulates serotonin and estrogen receptors" "reduces platelet aggregation", "lowers cholesterol and blood pressure" "may protect against osteoporosis and depression".
for references see: https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article19.aspx

You may need as little as 1 oz per day of juice according to the study. Certain individuals who can not eat grapefruits due to P450 activity and medications should discuss pom consumption with their MD.

Whole fresh Poms are frequently mentioned across the web for fiber, weight reduction, anti-oxidants and as a good source of vitamins and minerals. The oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) score is 2341 µmol TE/100 g which is very good.

Fresh poms are my preferred choice and are in season but are often not mature or over-mature. The arils need to be dark purplish red, not light red or pink. My produce man explained this and asked me to return any that were not ripe. They tasted o.k. but he insisted that they be discarded. I don't think there is any way to tell until you cut them open. one page advise to "tap with finger for a metallic sound" "choose fruits with a smooth skin free of cuts or bruises" and to store in the dark at cool ambient for 5 to 8 days or more or refrigerate for up to two weeks.

Langers brand 1 qt bottles are 100% pom juice nothing added, claim to contain juice of 9 poms. Great value at under $5 when on sale at Knob Hill. Amazon price w/free sh is $7 in case of 12. They also make a "100% juice that is mixed with apple or grape. Read the label carefully.

Re-Ride

Re-ride,

What is your opinion on the POM brand?

Fresh natural unpasteurized is always superior. I buy few juices, tart red cherry and pomegranate being the exceptions. Diluted with water drawn from a mineral basin at the foot of a dolomite mountain adds to the experience and possibly the benefit.

In the absence of comparative studies anybody's guess is as good as mine. Whole fruit with its fiber, likely higher potency and enzymes seems the ticket.

Re-Ride

I'm hoping it proves to reduce if not cure.
I drink 8 oz. a day of the juice for my cardio vascular system. Any other benefits would be a bonus.

On the horizon:
The following link contains images and graphical description of an experimental medical procedure which may not be suitable for all viewers. Click at at your own risk:

"The electricity is so powerful, more than a bolt of lightening, they have to be paralysed while we're doing it or they would just jump off the table."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...tricity-in-new-treatment-20151118-gl1ybg.html

Re-Ride

Follow up: impressions of POM (reconstituted from concentrate then bottled)
vs LANGERS (fresh pressed pasteurized)

I bought quite a few cases of fresh whole fruit when they were in season. Few fruits turned out to be ripe. My grocer who insisted that I toss the ones which had red not properly tree-ripened purple arils ended up switching suppliers. Costco ones were a little cheaper but rarely ripe and labeled with POM stickers. tip: Wear shop clothes when eating fresh pomegranates :) The stain is permanent. benefits from fiber and the seed content make fresh the winner in-season.

LANGERS fresh pressed: These have been on sale in Safeway and NOB HILL for $2to $3/qt. They are in the juice aisle,don't require refrigeration until opened. The 100% pure pomegranate version is dark purple in color. I bought all they had and asked he clerk to order me a few cases. Good stuff if you can find it. don't buy the version cut with cheap juices. provides 45% DV Vit C, 6% DV iron per serving per label. Also labeled as providing "595 mg polyphenol anti-oxidents per 8 oz serving

POM juice from concentrate: subjectively not as "purplish red" as Langers and lacking the fresher taste. Both are labeled 150 cal/8 oz serving. Would not buy if Langers was available especially at the higher price. If I want concentrate I'd just buy that. provides 0% C and 0% Iron per label

Extracts, powders and capsules: some of the studies report using PJE. It's anybody's guess if these are as effective at providing benefit equal to an equivalent amount of juice from fresh arils or the pasteurized fresh pressed.

Re-ride,

What is your opinion on the POM brand?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale