Somewhat high PSA at age 27 and TRT

Buy Lab Tests Online
I'm 27 with low T (seems to be idiopathic, my best hypothesis is that it's due to naturally very low cholesterol). I recently did some blood-work for my first consultation with Defy Medical after a disappointing experience several months ago with an endocrinologist (ran Clomid for 2 months, felt worse than ever even when my testosterone increased to ~1000). As expected, my T was low at 308ng/dL, but more concerning was my PSA of 1.5ng/mL. At first I thought it was "in range," but after doing more research I realized that someone my age should have a PSA of less than 1. The endo tested my PSA back in October, but he never showed me the results or brought it up, so I had always assumed it was healthy. I went by the office to pick up my old results from October 2016, and my PSA was basically the same (1.6). I'm assuming this means I probably don't have cancer since it hasn't increased at all in the past 5 months, but I don't have any symptoms of prostatis or BPH either. I've been feeling like total garbage from the low T, and was looking forward to starting treatment asap. Would I need urological clearance before starting TRT with a PSA of 1.5, or is this still low enough to start? I realize that either way, it would need to be very carefully monitored throughout the course of treatment. This whole situation is causing me a great deal of anxiety.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

CoastWatcher

I'm 27 with low T (seems to be idiopathic, my best hypothesis is that it's due to naturally very low cholesterol). I recently did some blood-work for my first consultation with Defy Medical after a disappointing experience several months ago with an endocrinologist (ran Clomid for 2 months, felt worse than ever even when my testosterone increased to ~1000). As expected, my T was low at 308ng/dL, but more concerning was my PSA of 1.5ng/mL. At first I thought it was "in range," but after doing more research I realized that someone my age should have a PSA of less than 1. The endo tested my PSA back in October, but he never showed me the results or brought it up, so I had always assumed it was healthy. I went by the office to pick up my old results from October 2016, and my PSA was basically the same (1.6). I'm assuming this means I probably don't have cancer since it hasn't increased at all in the past 5 months, but I don't have any symptoms of prostatis or BPH either. I've been feeling like total garbage from the low T, and was looking forward to starting treatment asap. Would I need urological clearance before starting TRT with a PSA of 1.5, or is this still low enough to start? I realize that either way, it would need to be very carefully monitored throughout the course of treatment. This whole situation is causing me a great deal of anxiety.

A PSA of 4.0 is a contraindication for TRT. Your value hasn't increased in the past five months - a good sign, as you noted.

The medical staff at Defy will be able to deal with this Ina straightforward manner. When is your consultation?

My consultation is Feb 25th, in person. I've read numerous accounts of guys who need to see urologists when their levels go beyond 2.0, but I also realize that the rate of increase is just as important as the value itself. Mine has been the same for at least 5 months, and for all I know it's been the same my entire adult life. Still, a value of 1.5 is concerning since this is supposedly the median PSA for healthy men older than 60.

CoastWatcher

My consultation is Feb 25th, in person. I've read numerous accounts of guys who need to see urologists when their levels go beyond 2.0, but I also realize that the rate of increase is just as important as the value itself. Mine has been the same for at least 5 months, and for all I know it's been the same my entire adult life. Still, a value of 1.5 is concerning since this is supposedly the median PSA for healthy men older than 60.

Keep in mind that very few men your age have a PSA run. It's not a standard test for men prior to middle age. Try and not draw dire conclusions on the basis of limited sample size.

Keep in mind that very few men your age have a PSA run. It's not a standard test for men prior to middle age. Try and not draw dire conclusions on the basis of limited sample size.

Yes, I noticed that there is almost no information whatsoever on PSA for men younger than 40. I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac though, so I'm just expressing concern, even if the data pool is weak.

CoastWatcher

Yes, I noticed that there is almost no information whatsoever on PSA for men younger than 40. I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac though, so I'm just expressing concern, even if the data pool is weak.

If it would ease your mind, contact Defy either by phone or email, and put the question to them now. I presume they have your lab work?

CoastWatcher

Wouldn't the e-mail just go to a staff member? Are they really going to be able to answer that question? And yes, they have my lab work.

What have you no lose by trying? I know Jill and and Amanda, Dr. Saya's nurse and Pa, respond to quick patient inquiries. The answer to your question might well mean delaying treatment if you do need a urological consultation. I'd try and find out now. Call and see what they tell you.

What have you to lose by trying? I know Jill and and Amanda, Dr. Saya's nurse and PA, respond to quick patient inquiries. The answer to your question might well mean delaying treatment if you do need a urological consultation. I'd try and find out now. Call and see what they tell you.

Alright, I will do that. Thanks for your input.

I did ejaculate the night before the blood draw (probably less than 12 hours before), but I read that in men my age ejaculation has no impact on PSA secretion. It may have inflated the score somewhat though

I did ejaculate the night before the blood draw (probably less than 12 hours before), but I read that in men my age ejaculation has no impact on PSA secretion. It may have inflated the score somewhat though

That can absolutely have an effect, but you've heard from Dr Saya himself, that it's not a concern.

Plus, just to clear it up, if a staff member receives a medical question there's a protocol for it to be forwarded to a medical provider who is able to answer that question. All doctor's offices have that, Dr's don't answer the phones, MA's or staff do, and they all have ways of taking that up the chain of command.

I've done it before, and either a nurse or PA will call you back. Their PA is great at that.

Vince

Super Moderator

I agree with you, that's in older men, over 49. But I also agree with everyone, I wouldn't worry about that level.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me