Can Metformin lower Free and total T levels?

Buy Lab Tests Online
P

Palermitano

According to Life Extension, it may.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2017/4/Metformin-Slashes-Cancer-Risks/Page-01

Just got my T levels dialed in at 1076, the last thing I want is something to lower them, opinions?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

captain

Was the level of 1076 a goal or did you win a competition with it? My understanding of Metformin is you don't get spikes in insulin and when you release insulin you also release growth hormone. I had a doctor tell me that he thought this is why people with diabetes have more prostate cancer. You can also read about Metformin and muscle mass. I think the level of T would be the last thing to worry about as you are on Testosterone and the dose is adjustable.

Will Brink

According to Life Extension, it may.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2017/4/Metformin-Slashes-Cancer-Risks/Page-01

Just got my T levels dialed in at 1076, the last thing I want is something to lower them, opinions?

You're on TRT I'm assuming, so a moot issue really.

P

Palermitano

Yes I'm on TRT but I believe I'm on the max dose allowed, so there is no room to add. Just wondering if anyone on this drug has had a drop in T levels.

Vince

Super Moderator
Yes I'm on TRT but I believe I'm on the max dose allowed, so there is no room to add. Just wondering if anyone on this drug has had a drop in T levels.
When you say you're on the maximum dose available, what's your protocol. I use metformin, I'm very happy with the metformin and my T levels.

I was on Metformin for years (type II diabetic) but then I took up cycling and became very active and slowly came off of the 2000mg I was taking daily. I do a lot of cycling and had issues with bad leg cramping. I didn't put this together until recently when my doctor asked me to take it to see if it affected my A1C levels which were a bit high. I found that my cramping was being caused by the metformin. Once I went back on it the next long ride I got leg cramps. I thought it was odd so I went off of it again did the same ride and effort level and no cramping. Repeated it twice with the same results; with metformin I got cramps. I now don't take metformin.

2000mg was maybe too much and maybe you would get rid of your leg cramps even if you had reduced the dosage. Metformin has other health benefits as well. You can find some info to read on this forum. People even take it without having to just because of othwer benefits.

Vitamin_C

I was on Metformin for years (type II diabetic) but then I took up cycling and became very active and slowly came off of the 2000mg I was taking daily. I do a lot of cycling and had issues with bad leg cramping. I didn't put this together until recently when my doctor asked me to take it to see if it affected my A1C levels which were a bit high. I found that my cramping was being caused by the metformin. Once I went back on it the next long ride I got leg cramps. I thought it was odd so I went off of it again did the same ride and effort level and no cramping. Repeated it twice with the same results; with metformin I got cramps. I now don't take metformin.

2000mg is quite a large dose. I am an RN and I've given metformin to countless patients and I've never seen anything higher than 1000mg daily.

For metformin, 500mg BID is typically a starting dose and is sufficient for many. However, many patients may also need up to 1000mg BID which is also a common dosage, especially amongst poorly controlled diabetics and the "anti-aging" circles.

Metformin shouldn't lower total T whatsoever for a male on exogenous TRT. Metformin can slightly boost SHBG in some, which can impact free T though usually not very significantly.

2000mg was maybe too much and maybe you would get rid of your leg cramps even if you had reduced the dosage. Metformin has other health benefits as well. You can find some info to read on this forum. People even take it without having to just because of othwer benefits.
When I went back on metformin it was only 500 mg and that dose cause leg cramps. Now with diet and exercise I am completely off metformin.

Vitamin_C

For metformin, 500mg BID is typically a starting dose and is sufficient for many. However, many patients may also need up to 1000mg BID which is also a common dosage, especially amongst poorly controlled diabetics and the "anti-aging" circles.

Metformin shouldn't lower total T whatsoever for a male on exogenous TRT. Metformin can slightly boost SHBG in some, which can impact free T though usually not very significantly.

Is 2g a day typically the anti-aging dosage? I have thought about kicking the tires on Metformin and adding it to my anti-aging regime but I'd like to stick around 1g a day.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me