Thyroid, when to treat

Buy Lab Tests Online

Zooka15

Would there be benefits to treating a thyroid where TSH is usually in the 3s and free T4 and T3 are constantly on the low end of range?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
TSH range is .4-4.5. My recent value was 3.2
T4 free range .8-1.8 recent value 1.1
T3 free range 2.3 - 4.2 recent value 2.5

Do you have symptoms? Treating pure numbers alone often isn't recommended.

I think you'll need RT3 before starting treatment to decide which medication to use.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
TSH range is .4-4.5. My recent value was 3.2
T4 free range .8-1.8 recent value 1.1
T3 free range 2.3 - 4.2 recent value 2.5

Generally speaking, you would probably like to see your free serum levels in the 50%-to-80% area of the reference range; both FT4 & FT3. Your FT4 is at 20% and FT3 is at 16%. Actually surprised your TSH isn't higher, but pituitary production can change/decline over time if the thyroid gland itself is not responding or producing sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone. Additionally, the TSH lab by itself is a unreliable marker for assessing the thyroid.

As John indicated, Reverse T3 needs to be factored into this. More so to compare its ratio with FT3. At a glance, I personally think it's a good sign that your FT3 and FT4 are both hovering around the same percentile of the reference range. Lots of times we see people with low FT4 values, but FT3 ends up being up in the 50% range. More times than not that will indicate that FT3 is "Pooling" or basically it's not adequately reaching the cells of the body. There's reasons for that, but again, I don't suspect that will be a problem with yours, BUT, an RT3 assay would be beneficial just to be sure.

Lastly, you will also want to check your antibodies to know if any autoimmune disorder is contributing to this. There are two (2) labs to review, TPO & TgAb. One checks the enzymes, one checks the proteins. So, in summary, Reverse T3, TPO, and TgAb. There are a multitude of thyroid medications to choose from. I personally lean towards the NDT's, like Armour and others. You can find a wealth of information about all of this at stopthethyroidmadness.com

Keep us posted ...

Zooka15

I did have the TPO done as well as total T3

tpo was 11 range 0-34
Total T3 100 range 71-180

also my doctor indicated all this labs are fine, so he won't treat.

Gamnc

My doctor followed my T3/T4 levels for a few years before putting me on Levothyroxine. I don't feel any change, but I have dropped 20 pounds in the last two years. He checks me every 6 months to make sure things are in the normal ranges, said to be aware of A-fib. I have not seen any A-Fib in the last two years. Not sure if the weight is due to the meds, or just my change in activity level.

I am not a physician. Comments offered here are for discussion purposes only. Please consult your doctor before initiating, changing, or stopping any therapy.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me