one month into weight start up

I started back to the gym Jan 1, 2017, and have gone 6 days a week. I am now feeling some of the strength come back into my body. It is time to mix up the workout. I do machines now, been thinking about free weights. I tried them when I started, but was not strong enough to keep proper form so switched to machines. Now I have increased reps from 2 to 4 on all the machines, and bumped the weights up 10 to 20 pounds. What free weights would you do to keep building strength. I want to do something to regain my flexibility also, as well as build strength. I know some of the machines have helped with that. I still need more flexibility now that I don't get so stiff after workouts. I see some change in my distribution of fat and muscle which I like, but at 68 not sure how much I should hope for.
    Basic notes I am 68, 6'1" tall and now down to 220. I lost a few pounds over the month which also helps keep me motivated. I am on TRT with shots twice a week, and take 12.5 mg of Clomid every at.

Not a medical person here.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Help Excelmale

Defy

Mainly compound movements squats/dead lifts/bent rows/military presses/chins/bench presses/dips..............if you really want to add muscle training back/glutes/legs are where you can pack on size. Training with heavier weights and lower reps 5-8 will build size and add strength.

No disrespect but at your age I would slowly work in adding free weights and take your time adding weight to your exercises and make sure to use proper form. You can do deadlifts in a safety rack from just below knee level basically rack pulls a lot safer in the long run as it is not like you are competing.

Super Moderator Vettester Chris's Avatar
    Agree with what Madman is saying ... Plus, I'd look into some isolated cable exercises.

Just curious, why Clomid? You're on Testosterone, plus at 68yo, I don't understand where or why a SERM would ever be administered (?). It would make sense for HCG to provide testicular support, where at least you can gauge the dosage amount and know that a consistent level of LH is reaching the receptors. Again, more curious than anything.
    Please, no PM's posting lab results ... Let's Keep them on the Open Forum for Everyone to Comment. Feel free to PM me a link to your thread if you would like me to comment. Thanks!!

I am not a Doctor, I only play one on T.V. Please consult your physician, or a trained-licensed physician before proceeding with any comments or suggestions posted on this or any forum.

Thanks, No offence about the age, I am proud to have made it this far LOL. I will try the lower reps with higher weights. I have been adding sets and slowly adding weight. I do see muscle development, but have wondered why it was so slow. I took it to be age. I do 12 reps with four sets now. The weight is just enough to burn at the end of the last two sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettester Chris View Post
    Agree with what Madman is saying ... Plus, I'd look into some isolated cable exercises.

Just curious, why Clomid? You're on Testosterone, plus at 68yo, I don't understand where or why a SERM would ever be administered (?). It would make sense for HCG to provide testicular support, where at least you can gauge the dosage amount and know that a consistent level of LH is reaching the receptors. Again, more curious than anything.
    The doctor gave me the Clomid when I was on Testopel. I switched to shots in Jan of this year. The Clomid provided a buffer when I hit the end of the Testopel cycle. I burned through the pellets fast. It also maintained my testicles size which on a vane side made me feel better. It has worked well for both and has few side effects so I stayed on it when I switched to the shots.

Thanks, I tried the 8 reps with higher weights yesterday and for the first time in two weeks feel like I had a workout. Will do the lower half today along with a run. I am still doing Ab machines in high numbers and high weights. Is there a better way to do Abs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamnc View Post
    Thanks, I tried the 8 reps with higher weights yesterday and for the first time in two weeks feel like I had a workout. Will do the lower half today along with a run. I am still doing Ab machines in high numbers and high weights. Is there a better way to do Abs?
    Renegade rows or Kettle bell swings !

I have researched the HCG. I will see my doctor next month and will ask if it is a better control for the LH levels.

I have tried a week of the higher weights and lower reps. I go heavy one day, and lighter the next day and take sets to point of burn in muscle group being worked. No problems with weight increase, but muscles are sore after the heavy work out. I have noticed my arms are bigger, wish I had measured them before I started back. Abs changing too, but weight is staying the same where I was losing weight before the gym workout. Over all I think this is all positive. I sleep better, and feel higher energy levels over the pre gym days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamnc View Post
    I have noticed my arms are bigger, wish I had measured them before I started back. Abs changing too, but weight is staying the same where I was losing weight before the gym workout. Over all I think this is all positive. I sleep better, and feel higher energy levels over the pre gym days.
    That sounds quite good!

Thread Information