Testosterone and Friendship Formation

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jinzang

Psychoneuroendocrinology Volume 76, February 2017, Pages 88–96

In two conditions, participants’ salivary testosterone and cortisol were measured before and after a high versus low closeness activity with another same-sex participant. In the high closeness task, participants took turns answering questions that fostered increases in self-disclosure. The low closeness task fostered low levels of self-disclosure. Dyadic multilevel models indicated that lower basal testosterone and decreases in testosterone were associated with increased closeness between recently acquainted strangers. Our results suggest that people high in testosterone felt less close to others and desired less closeness. Further, lower basal cortisol and dynamic cortisol decreases were associated with greater closeness and desired closeness in the high closeness condition. Finally, we found that the partners of those who had lower cortisol desired more closeness.

It's an Elsevier journal, so abstract only.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gamnc

It looks like they are trying to link hormone levels to the introvert/extrovert personality types. Looking back on my life I know as a teen I had high testosterone levels with all the physical traits that come with those high levels. In my 40,s I knew my levels were dropping and in my 50's I was on Testosterone replacement therapy. My personality type (INTJ), I like to call it independent VS introverted but I was and am still somewhat introverted. I don't remember any time in my 40's when I could have been called an extrovert, and when I started TRT my levels were in the 150 range. Now at higher levels I still feel the introverted personality. Makes me wonder does the introvert produce more hormones VS the extrovert as opposed to hormones effecting your personality.

masfield

I am or at least have been since the beginning an introvert, ranging from normal introvert to extreme. After starting T, however, I'm probably medium low extrovert to very very mild introvert. For the most part, the change has been beneficial. I'm friendlier, more outgoing, etc. I also, mostly, like myself better. For me, it's been an unexpected bonus.

Leesto

I was much more introverted when young with high T levels (presumably) and became somewhat more extroverted as I aged and my T levels fell. I'm just one case but I don't believe testosterone had anything to do with introversion/extroversion. It was more about life experience and competence.

When I got on a good TRT protocol I had more energy and optimism and motivation but my level of introversion/extroversion didn't change. I just had more energy to pursue life and express myself - so some people may have perceived this as greater extroversion.

Gamnc

I was much more introverted when young with high T levels (presumably) and became somewhat more extroverted as I aged and my T levels fell. I'm just one case but I don't believe testosterone had anything to do with introversion/extroversion. It was more about life experience and competence.

When I got on a good TRT protocol I had more energy and optimism and motivation but my level of introversion/extroversion didn't change. I just had more energy to pursue life and express myself - so some people may have perceived this as greater extroversion.

I was also very introverted as a young man, and like you have to assume my Testosterone levels were high. The low T period for me was in my 40's and if anything I became more introverted, but that could have been my work load. Now on TRT I think I may be a little less introverted than in my 40's, but not enough to get up and dance over. I do have an abundance of energy and few blue days while on TRT. I may be more patient also. That might just be age LOL. I planned my life with a job that did not require I work with large numbers of people, an to off set the hermit side of me I married and extrovert. We have been together over half our lives so that plan must have worked. She can put up with my desire to avoid any large gathering if I go to something a few times a year. Not like this weeks Women's March or Thanksgiving in NY, but a play or concert I do OK with.

Jinzang

My take on the study is that testosterone makes you more competitive and likely to view other men as rivals instead of friends. FWIW I have always been introverted and TRT has not changed that.

Vince

Super Moderator
I believe with TRT, I'm much calmer or I believe so. But I do feel I'm much more aggressive sexually. :rolleyes:

Leesto

I believe with TRT, I'm much calmer or I believe so. But I do feel I'm much more aggressive sexually. :rolleyes:

That's funny Vince! I feel the same and I imagine it is common for men on a successful TRT protocol. I hope your girlfriend enjoys the extra attention!

My wife wants sex less often than I do but I know she enjoys being looked at. She enjoys teasing me and likes to play the cat and mouse game. After the deed she has a silly grin on her face for hours. Even if we go out in public she'll glance at me across the table or across the room with a sly smile which says "wow that was awesome!". It wasn't so before TRT and trimix. She always told me not to worry: my ED didn't matter. But now she tells me how badly she hungered for good sex during those years.

Great subject and discussion.
I took this test pre TRT. My results were Logistician (ISTJ-a)
If others are interested in taking one of these test I have a link to where I took mine.
I did not include the link my post because i don't know the forum rules on posting links to other places.

One of my biggest concerns of going on TRT is I don't want to become a **** to my friends, future friends and family.

Last edited:

CoastWatcher

Great subject and discussion.
I took this test pre TRT. My results were Logistician (ISTJ-a)
I did not include a link to my test because i don't know the forum rules on posting links to other places.

One of my biggest concerns of going on TRT is I don't want to become a **** to my friends, future friends and family.

The fact that you're sensitive to this as a possibility, no matter how remote it might be, strikes me as evidence that it is unlikely to be something you have to worry about. A bit of introspection serves all of us well!

Leesto

Seems to me that Testosterone REPLACEMENT Therapy doesn't have that effect. You hear about aggression from people on supraphysiological dosages of testosterone but that's not what the folks here are about.

Crashed E2 can certainly have an impact on your emotions and mental outlook. Just like PMS. But I don't think the testosterone by itself (in reasonable dosages) is going to do that.

Gamnc

I took the MB test years ago. I am an INTJ which is a type known for not being open to others. I fit the profile and did not see a change when on TRT. When I took the long form BM test is was work related and I was told the personality we developed would remain the same for our lifetime. I have take the web test at time, but they always come out the same. My wife would say I am a INTJ on steroids now, which is the same as an INTJ not on steroids.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me