Not Fountain of Youth, but I'll Take It

I've been following this site for a month. Very glad I found it, as it has a lot of information and inspiration i wouldn't have gotten anywhere else. I, like Vince, am 62 and are thrilled to learn that proper TRT can not only delay some of the aging process, but even reverse some.I was cautiously optimistic when starting TRT. Some things were noticeable right away-energy, then libido shot up, then cognitive functioning, and in the past 2 months muscle gains.

Name:  6.29.16.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  24.0 KB Attachment 2840

Picture on the left was in June this year, three weeks into it. I wasn't taking pictures to chart progress because I didn't think it would ever really be that noticeable. Last month, my wife of 30 years and a tough critic finally acknowledged that she noticed a big change in my body. I took the picture on the right last week.

Not really a lot of weight gain. I was about 182 on the left, and am 188-190 as of last week. I've always worked very hard when I exercise, but am getting some results for the first time since the first President Bush was in office, a great feeling.

As all of us know, TRT is not a silver bullet, but it certainly is a great compliment to hard work. I workout daily-resistance bands every other day for almost an hour, intervals or tabata on my schwinn air dyne the off days, and if I don't do a formal exercise day, I work on my property, usually logging with chainsaw, splitter or stacking firewood. Capacity for this work is also way up.

I get my TRT from Men's Health Boston, Dr. Abraham Morganthaler's clinic. His protocols are different from what most guys here are on. Not HCG unless blood shows a need. My diet is clean as my wife and I have become fanatical since entering our 60s. Only supplements are fish oil and vitamin D3 daily.

Of course, aches and pains still exist, but at a lesser level. Osteoarthritis still - currently trying to stave off another hip replacement- but greater strength helps considerably.

Thanks guys for allowing my self indulgence.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-02-2016 at 05:04 AM.

2. # ADS
    Purchase From Our Affiliates
    Help Excelmale

Defy

That's great, I'm happy to hear how good TRT is improving your life. My question would be what test "Not HCG unless blood shows a need." as you probably know HCG is used to sustain normal testicular function.
    MM, I always enjoy reading your post.

Morganthaler's protocols are different from what I've learned here. HCG is not given unless it is a younger guy wanting to remain fertile. At my age it's certainly not a concern for me. It wasn't even mentioned to me. Two of my sons are also patients there. Both had test levels in the low 200s, if fact they suggested I get checked out myself. One is on HCG alone which has bumped his total t to 600-700 and the other is on TRT. They go over options with the younger guys. They may have asked me, but I don't recall.

There was a thread on this that I can't find. Maybe somebody else remembers where it was. I recall someone responding that Morganthaler and Jay Campbell don't advocate it except in certain cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Morganthaler's protocols are different from what I've learned here. HCG is not given unless it is a younger guy wanting to remain fertile. At my age it's certainly not a concern for me. It wasn't even mentioned to me. Two of my sons are also patients there. Both had test levels in the low 200s, if fact they suggested I get checked out myself. One is on HCG alone which has bumped his total t to 600-700 and the other is on TRT. They go over options with the younger guys. They may have asked me, but I don't recall.

There was a thread on this that I can't find. Maybe somebody else remembers where it was. I recall someone responding that Morganthaler and Jay Campbell don't advocate it except in certain cases.

Here is the thread, or, at least, a thread, sustaining the point you made in regard to Dr. Morganthaler (and Dr. Rand McClain). See post 13 for Nelson's take on upstream hormonal activity.

https://www.excelmale.com/showthread...highlight=Rand

I love Dr Morganthaler's videos but I have heard from three men who went to see him for TRT and were deeply disappointed due to how conservative he was. He prescribes only TRT with no adjunctive therapies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Vergel View Post
    I love Dr Morganthaler's videos but I have heard from three men who went to see him for TRT and were deeply disappointed due to how conservative he was. He prescribes only TRT with no adjunctive therapies.
    Yes,I heard that here. So far so good for me however. I thought it had something to do with my age, but I guess it doesn't. I'll keep an eye on things and if I need something down the road I will certainly know what to ask for. I don't see him directly, I see one of his physicians assistance who I think is very good. I also think that they take a special interest in an older guy like me as well. I'm hoping that will help me if I need some adjunct therapy down the road.

in your opinion, what's the downside of not being on hCG or any other adjunct therapy?

Yes,I heard that here. So far so good for me however. I thought it had something to do with my age, but I guess it doesn't. I'll keep an eye on things and if I need something down the road I will certainly know what to ask for. I don't see him directly, I see one of his physicians assistance who I think is very good. I also think that they take a special interest in an older guy like me as well. I'm hoping that will help me if I need some adjunct therapy down the road.

in your opinion, what's the downside of not being on hCG or any other adjunct therapy?
    Testicular apathy and eventually you may lose your libido.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Well, you know I'll complain if it get to that. Thanks Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Vince,How is loss of libido possible without hcg?

Quote Originally Posted by rhino5169 View Post
    Vince,How is loss of libido possible without hcg?
    HCG produce the most physiologic ("normal") hormonal milieu. It also helps backfill the pathways. This is why men do better on it. An increased sense of well-being, and libido, HCG brings as it binds to the LH receptors in the more peripheral (emotional) centers of the brain, that you can then enjoy all day.
    Last edited by Vince; 12-26-2016 at 06:40 PM.

hey man nice work, keep it up

Been busting my ass this winter and wanted to share these pics. 63 next month and want to show off a bit.Name:  1.10.17 Curl.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  56.1 KBName:  Abs 2.8.17.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  191.3 KBName:  2.2.17 Bi.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  129.4 KBName:  Back 1.21.17.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  114.9 KB

More older guys need to get on this, especially those who do resistance training.

Thanks guys.

Mountain Man, your hard work's paying off.
    I am not a medical practitioner. Any suggestions I provide are not medical recommendations and are just my opinions. Please consult with your physician on any matters concerning your health.

@Mountain Man What is your T protocol?

Impressive results!!!

Super Moderator Vettester Chris's Avatar
    Good job MM!!
    Please, no PM's posting lab results ... Let's Keep them on the Open Forum for Everyone to Comment. Feel free to PM me a link to your thread if you would like me to comment. Thanks!!

I am not a Doctor, I only play one on T.V. Please consult your physician, or a trained-licensed physician before proceeding with any comments or suggestions posted on this or any forum.

Quote Originally Posted by johnt View Post
    @Mountain Man What is your T protocol?

I'm with Abraham Morganthaler's clinic in Boston, see one of his PA's. 100 mg test cyp done 1x per week.

totally agree with what you said about getting on if you do resistance training, I would also add if it is any type of activity, this was the main reason I got started, I have always been very active, especially with the gym, it got to the point that my drive/motivation was next to nothing, so I got on a program, libido boost, mood elevation and better everyday energy were all icing on the cake.

I'm with Abraham Morganthaler's clinic in Boston, see one of his PA's. 100 mg test cyp done 1x per week.
    Wow MM your pictures are even more impressive after reading this. You've got a really full look man very nice, congrats.

Great thread! Great results! It's motivating me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FeelingLost View Post
    Wow MM your pictures are even more impressive after reading this. You've got a really full look man very nice, congrats.
    I think that TRT is not magic, but allows you to work harder than the average older guy. I'm sure I'd feel pretty good doing TRT and some walking, golf, puttering around with calisthenics or something, but why waste this opportunity? The combo of TRT and hard training with bands has enabled me to train very hard pain free. As we age, instead of giving up, we have to adjust and be smarter.

I still have some joint pain,but bands, the air dyne, and karate training all contribute to my routine. I've practiced uechi ryu karate since 1990. I no longer train at a dojo since moving to NH in 2015, but perform the katas 3 times per week to stay limber and maintain what I call a movement practice.Being able to move sets up a mental attitude that is invaluable, as does an active sex life.

The biggest thing is to work hard as consistently as you can, pain free.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Vergel View Post
    The NE, especially MA, is ground zero for the ultra conservative med community, and the home of JAMA and NEJM. By the standards of the area, Morganthaler is cutting edge in that he actually will prescribe TRT at all. By the standards of what's the state of the art, he's decades behind, so most men who spend any time on the net seeing what others are doing will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Brink View Post
    The NE, especially MA, is ground zero for the ultra conservative med community, and the home of JAMA and NEJM. By the standards of the area, Morganthaler is cutting edge in that he actually will prescribe TRT at all. By the standards of what's the state of the art, he's decades behind, so most men who spend any time on the net seeing what others are doing will be disappointed.
    Totally agree. I spent 4 years going from doctor to doctor (including a Morganthaler associate) until finally travelling outside NE to get proper TRT care.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCat View Post
    Totally agree. I spent 4 years going from doctor to doctor (including a Morganthaler associate) until finally travelling outside NE to get proper TRT care.
    If you're looking for a good TRT/HRT doc in NE, doc I'm currently working with has an office on ME, and FL. See:

http://www.brinkzone.com/general-hea...s-up-with-amc/

I've been very happy with the treatment that I received at his clinic. Of course, I think my case wasn't that bad, as I have always had a strong work ethic for exercise and fitness. I think this is well more than half the battle. The fact that I would have been working out hard anyway helps me. TRT it's not magic, but it definitely enhances your work if you are putting in the some. The fact that my insurance pays for this is also a plus. I'll consider are the suggestions down the road if I need them. Thanks guys.

If it ain't broke don't fix it MM!

Quote Originally Posted by GA8314 View Post
    If it ain't broke don't fix it MM!

Thanks! I'll adjust as needed.

Thread Information