Band Training For Older Guys

Buy Lab Tests Online
I just wanted to share my experience with training with elastic bands. I, like most guys my age who have trained for decades have my share of orthopedic problems. Knee, hip, shoulder, elbow,- you name it, I've either got it or had it at some point.

Last year, when rehabbing from a rotator cuff surgery, something dawned on me. The physical therapist was training me with bands and I was making progress without undo joint pain. In the past few years, weights have required a lot of warming up, high reps, and often a lot of "bad pain," - as opposed to "good pain."

I started to use bands that my son let me borrow. He works for a physical therapist and thought it would help. I've been using them exclusively for a year and a half with great results, free of joint pain. The beginning position in most exercises, ones that usually cause pain with weights, has less resistance and no pain. The contracted position can be held as an isometric, pulsed, or you can adjust your distance from the pivot point to increase time under tension. The possibilities for innovative exercises and working around aches and pains are virtually endless.

I've been envious of those guys my age who can lift pain free. Usually they have not trained day in and day out for decades. Once you get into the mind body connection- a must because there is no feedback from poundages as with weights- it becomes a meditative thing.

There are all kinds of possibilities of bands available from a google search. If you're like me and prefer to workout alone at home, it's a great solution to aging joints.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Nice link Nelson. I'd never have believed it myself, but they work great, especially for joint problems. I've used bodylastics and currently use this guys stuff: https://resistancebandtraining.com/

I like the idea of a complete and functional gym that fits in a bag. I started using them years ago when I went camping and reintroduced myself to them last year. For me, they're better than weight machines and suspension trainers. I hate the idea of commercial gyms, driving there, the inconvenience of working out on somebody else's schedule. You can get a killer workout in 30-45 minutes with the bands I use. No time wasted changing plates or even handles. which is why I like my current bands better than bodylastics. Here's some suggested workouts: https://resistancebandtraining.com/workouts/ You literally can get a great workout in anywhere.

If I was 30 years younger, I'd be lifting, but I'm not. No sense longing for the "good old days." Maybe these are them.

Last edited:

blackebob

If I was 30 years younger, I'd be lifting, but I'm not. No sense longing for the "good old days." Maybe these are them.

If you get a great workout from them why would you lift if you were younger?

I am at this tipping point where I find that 25 years of physical work has trained my muscles to do the same thing. I used to be really strong, but do I really want to do free weights at 50, when I cannot stretch like I used to? I have been battling impingments in my left fore arm for four months because I hit the chin ups to hard. I am having knee surgery shortly, and I am ashamed to admit that the PT work out has been blasting my glutes. Glutes that I thought were rock hard, but a little rubber strap is kicking my ass.

If you get a great workout from them why would you lift if you were younger?

I am at this tipping point where I find that 25 years of physical work has trained my muscles to do the same thing. I used to be really strong, but do I really want to do free weights at 50, when I cannot stretch like I used to? I have been battling impingments in my left fore arm for four months because I hit the chin ups to hard. I am having knee surgery shortly, and I am ashamed to admit that the PT work out has been blasting my glutes. Glutes that I thought were rock hard, but a little rubber strap is kicking my ass.

Because, as you point out, age creates limitations. When I began lifting in the 1960s, you lifted hard took a day off , lifted hard, took another day off, and rinsed and repeated. We all, me more than anyone overtrained. There were no machines as yet, so variety was minimal. Your job has done the same thing to you that years of repetitive workouts did to mine. By the late 1990s, when the science changed a bit about exercise and lifting, I was already a few major injuries into the problem zone.

I would be still lifting because I loved the challenge, the feel of a bar in my hands and a PR lift that's why. Your 100% right about the bands kicking your ass. They will if you use them correctly and clearly you are. Guys who diss them as a workout aren't doing them correctly. Unlike lifting, you have to use the muscles, contracting them first, to move the bands through a range of motion. Lifting we all tend to do the opposite, the bar moves first and then the muscles contract. Very subtle, but this is the reason bands are effective and allow pain free workouts. You also have to go inside yourself, focus on the pump, and feel the pain in the muscles. I workout alone and my workouts are short, rarely longer that 45 minutes, and when I am done my muscles are fried, joints feel good, and central nervous system is intact. That's what you want as an older guys looking for longevity.

As an older guy with a full time job and long commute, I have no time or interest in “going to the gym.” Most guys my age who like to brag about going to the gym look like sh*t, and the guys doing curls in squat racks who have abs at a buck 40 are a real turn off. I prefer the solitude of home workouts and the feeling of self reliance that this equipment gives me.

Blackebob: be honest about wanting to lift. I admit I'd love to military press a strict 220 like I did in 1984, but Reagan ain't president any more and I'm 2 years beyond being eligible for social security. Not smart, and I don't want to be that sad sack old dude who brags about what he used to be able to do back in the day. I still like the idea of the old take off your shirt and show us your muscles feeling that sensible band training can give.

Saul

Seem way too expensive to use bands - look at your arms - if my arms got to be that size I would have to buy new shirts, would cost a fortune.

Joking aside, I have shoulder issues and have stopped doing lifts that lock my arms into position. For example, I use barbells for bench press instead of a straight bar. Same with lat pull downs, military press. I try to stay with barbells or cables to allow my shoulders to move to a position that is best for it to avoid impingement. That is where I think the bands would be good because they let the joint move in its natural rotation which is not confined by a bar or machine. That and the increased resistance near the end of the joint extension. There is some discussion of this on the net about a straight bar for bench press locking the arms in position and that it does not work the pecs as well or allow the pecs/shoulders to move in their nature rotation.

Vince

Super Moderator
Seem way too expensive to use bands - look at your arms - if my arms got to be that size I would have to buy new shirts, would cost a fortune.

Joking aside, I have shoulder issues and have stopped doing lifts that lock my arms into position. For example, I use barbells for bench press instead of a straight bar. Same with lat pull downs, military press. I try to stay with barbells or cables to allow my shoulders to move to a position that is best for it to avoid impingement. That is where I think the bands would be good because they let the joint move in its natural rotation which is not confined by a bar or machine. That and the increased resistance near the end of the joint extension. There is some discussion of this on the net about a straight bar for bench press locking the arms in position and that it does not work the pecs as well or allow the pecs/shoulders to move in their nature rotation.

This simple hanging exercise healed my rotator cuff tear, it may help your shoulder issues.
Shoulder pain relief: Hanging for Healthy Shoulders
https://www.excelmale.com/forum/sho...der-pain-relief-Hanging-for-Healthy-Shoulders

BigBamBoo

I just wanted to share my experience with training with elastic bands. I, like most guys my age who have trained for decades have my share of orthopedic problems. Knee, hip, shoulder, elbow,- you name it, I've either got it or had it at some point.

Last year, when rehabbing from a rotator cuff surgery, something dawned on me. The physical therapist was training me with bands and I was making progress without undo joint pain. In the past few years, weights have required a lot of warming up, high reps, and often a lot of "bad pain," - as opposed to "good pain."

I started to use bands that my son let me borrow. He works for a physical therapist and thought it would help. I've been using them exclusively for a year and a half with great results, free of joint pain. The beginning position in most exercises, ones that usually cause pain with weights, has less resistance and no pain. The contracted position can be held as an isometric, pulsed, or you can adjust your distance from the pivot point to increase time under tension. The possibilities for innovative exercises and working around aches and pains are virtually endless.

I've been envious of those guys my age who can lift pain free. Usually they have not trained day in and day out for decades. Once you get into the mind body connection- a must because there is no feedback from poundages as with weights- it becomes a meditative thing.

There are all kinds of possibilities of bands available from a google search. If you're like me and prefer to workout alone at home, it's a great solution to aging joints.

Just stumbled on this thread. Yes, I know it is an older thread, but I am looking to incorporate bands into my weight lifting routines.

As I get older, I know I need to really watch my workouts with “ heavy metal”.

blackebob

I whole heartedly endorse ART sports doctors for injuries, mine have fixed me up repeatedly. I am lucky, I not only have access to a KU doc, I have three others in the area I call on. Before you go under a knife I would look one up.

rafapark

I’ve been doing these workouts with bands for the last few months
Nice link Nelson. I'd never have believed it myself, but they work great, especially for joint problems. I've used bodylastics and currently use this guys stuff: Resistance Band Training | A Fitness Solution

I like the idea of a complete and functional gym that fits in a bag. I started using them years ago when I went camping and reintroduced myself to them last year. For me, they're better than weight machines and suspension trainers. I hate the idea of commercial gyms, driving there, the inconvenience of working out on somebody else's schedule. You can get a killer workout in 30-45 minutes with the bands I use. No time wasted changing plates or even handles. which is why I like my current bands better than bodylastics. Here's some suggested workouts: Workouts - Resistance Band Training You literally can get a great workout in anywhere.

I’ve been doing these workouts for the last few months. The workouts are hard! But effective and I have dexa scans to prove it! Went from 24% body fat to 15% and increased muscle by 40%. I never thought that was possible at my age. I have done weight workouts for many years but these seem to be the best and most effective workouts for me ( 62yo). Thanks a lot for the tip!

I bought bands with handles and started training in September only after 2 weeks my elbow was completely injured. Still not 100% after so long time.
Never happend with free weight and machines. I´ll guess I did some movments wrong that caused this injury.

I’ve been doing these workouts with bands for the last few months

I’ve been doing these workouts for the last few months. The workouts are hard! But effective and I have dexa scans to prove it! Went from 24% body fat to 15% and increased muscle by 40%. I never thought that was possible at my age. I have done weight workouts for many years but these seem to be the best and most effective workouts for me ( 62yo). Thanks a lot for the tip!

Yeah, more older guys should use these. Until you try them, you don’t realize what a pump you can get. Guys who knock them usually are guys that haven’t tried them or haven’t made a huge effort with them. My body fat has dropped from 15 to 10% and I put back an inch on my arms. Glad they are working for you.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me