Why DHEA/Pregnenolone when on TRT?

Buy Lab Tests Online

TMI

Trying to wrap my head around the use of DHEA and pregnenolone whilst on TRT. I have looked at the diagrams showing how cholesterol becomes the various hormones. It would seem that people with high cholesterol would also have high T (not necessarily the case).

So, why supplement with DHEA and pregnenolone when you want more T?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

TMI

DHEAPREG.jpg

Read some warning from the US about these hormone precursors affecting "good" cholesterol (HDL). Can't find any science to back that up so far. The warning is here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=110001-111000&file=110423-110423.8

Most guys suffer from the so called "adrenal fatigue" and will consequently be low on DHEA and then the negative feedback loop that is associated with HPTA shutdown will affect the hormonal cascade. Its generally advised to backfill those hormonal pathways if testing indicates the person is indeed low in one or both. It is much more common to supplement DHEA alone though. Usually 25mg is plenty to supplement in either.

TMI

Most guys suffer from the so called "adrenal fatigue" and will consequently be low on DHEA

You may be mistaken here*; DHEA is in the sex hormone pathway, not the cortisol pathway.

*Edit to add: unless you subscribe to the "pregnenolone steal syndrome". Then what you say makes sense to me. Trying to understand all this and it is complicated.

steroid pathway 3.gif

Last edited:

TMI

Most guys suffer from the so called "adrenal fatigue" and will consequently be low on DHEA and then the negative feedback loop that is associated with HPTA shutdown will affect the hormonal cascade. Its generally advised to backfill those hormonal pathways if testing indicates the person is indeed low in one or both. It is much more common to supplement DHEA alone though. Usually 25mg is plenty to supplement in either.

What I'm asking, now that I think about it more is:

if there is enough substrate (cholesterol) then why isn't there enough production of pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone, DHT, etc?

Is it ultimately an enzymatic issue where conversions to these hormones are not taking place at adequate rates?

TMI

Also, just as we take HCG when taking TRT to prevent the shutdown of our testes, shouldn't we also take CRH/ACTH (corticotropin releasing hormone/adrenocorticotropic hormone) when taking pregnenolone to prevent the shutdown of our adrenals?

What I'm asking, now that I think about it more is:

if there is enough substrate (cholesterol) then why isn't there enough production of pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone, DHT, etc?

Is it ultimately an enzymatic issue where conversions to these hormones are not taking place at adequate rates?

Gene has it right, it's not the substrate as you say, or an enzyme, its the absence of LH acting on Cholesterol, Pregnenolone, Progesterone that prompts all of that. So you start on Test, LH goes to zero and thus that hormonal cascade is likewise shut down or severely obstructed.

You may be mistaken here*; DHEA is in the sex hormone pathway, not the cortisol pathway.

*Edit to add: unless you subscribe to the "pregnenolone steal syndrome". Then what you say makes sense to me. Trying to understand all this and it is complicated.

View attachment 2566

Its not only cortisol in the Adrenals, it's DHEA, too.

DHEA is one of the androgen hormones secreted by the adrenal glands and is the precursor to several other sex hormones. DHEA levels often become depressed during adrenal fatigue. A saliva test can determine whether your DHEA levels are below normal. I usually recommend measuring DHEA-S levels with the saliva test as well because the adrenals are the primary source of DHEA-S (but not necessarily DHEA). Adrenal fatigue syndrome often involves decreased DHEA-S. The DHEA-S level is a direct indicator of the functioning of the area within the adrenal glands that produces sex hormones (the zona reticularis).

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
Gene has it right, it's not the substrate as you say, or an enzyme, its the absence of LH acting on Cholesterol, Pregnenolone, Progesterone that prompts all of that. So you start on Test, LH goes to zero and thus that hormonal cascade is likewise shut down or severely obstructed.

Not only that Vince but is effects all three metabolic pathways!

LH/HCG is what stimulates the P450 SCC enzyme that is responsible for the conversion of Chol to Preg. Without that stimulation all upstream metabolites are effected in all three pathways...it's why we call it "back-filling" the pathways.

It's also why it's good to also supplement Pregnenolone and DHEA while on TRT for just that reason.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me