Rejected from blood donation because of white coat syndrome

Buy Lab Tests Online
If it still doesn´t work try to find nurse that are willing to help you. I think I read something on this forum about this and also what you need buy and were.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

HealthMan

Thats too hardcore for me :) but thanks for the link anyways. I was able to control my white coat this time. Propranolol 3 hours before with food. Asked then to let me relax for 2-3 minutes before taking BP. Thats because they ask you a lot of questions and teste iron levels etc and then take BP. So all the talk etc makes me a bit anxious. Lets see if this becomes a trend or it was just an one off.

Thats too hardcore for me :) but thanks for the link anyways. I was able to control my white coat this time. Propranolol 3 hours before with food. Asked then to let me relax for 2-3 minutes before taking BP. Thats because they ask you a lot of questions and teste iron levels etc and then take BP. So all the talk etc makes me a bit anxious. Lets see if this becomes a trend or it was just an one off.

Very happy it worked out this time. Don't be afraid to say "leave me be for a few minutes to relax and make sure my blood pressure is accurate". They (usually) won't bite ya!

HealthMan

Since I have the same problem how much of Proprannol do take before 30-40mg or?
I am no doctor but i would start with 20mg to test (and increase by 20mg if needed). Measure your pulse and BP every 30min and write it down. This way you will find out the time the medication will work at its max for you. Looks like 2-3 hours is the max plasma concentration. In my case BP and HR were at the lowest after 3 hours and stayed like that for at least another 3 hours. First time i took 1:30h before and it didnt work quite well. In my case it wasnt a magic bullet i still had to take my time to relax before letting someone take my BP.

My doctor prescribed me Propranolol 40 mg years back for my anxiety. But after a month I stopt for no reason but..
Now I take for my BP Edarbi 20 mg (ARBs) I think they work well under normal circustances but very effective when my doc messure my BP (White coat syndrome or other stressful situations). So to the question is it safe to take my Propranolol 40 mg with my normal BP medication if I need to donated blood?

HealthMan

My doctor prescribed me Propranolol 40 mg years back for my anxiety. But after a month I stopt for no reason but..
Now I take for my BP Edarbi 20 mg (ARBs) I think they work well under normal circustances but very effective when my doc messure my BP (White coat syndrome or other stressful situations). So to the question is it safe to take my Propranolol 40 mg with my normal BP medication if I need to donated blood?

hi Tommy you said that Edarbi 20mg is very effective when your doctot measure your BP? But you still get nervous and white coat when donating blood?

Sorry I meant they are not very effective when a doc is measuring my BP or even measured by myself when I feel anxious or stressed. I have to measure it under calm and quite situations underwise no point. It seems like my BP is reacting far too much on the state of my nerves. I think I will ask my doc if I could include a beta blocker (combo with ARB). But I am a bit affraid that it can cause ED problems etc.. which I don´t have now. If it wasn´t for these kinds of side effects I think a beta blocker would be more accurate due to my anxienty etc..

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/10/27/42197.aspx

HealthMan

Sorry I meant they are not very effective when a doc is measuring my BP or even measured by myself when I feel anxious or stressed. I have to measure it under calm and quite situations underwise no point. It seems like my BP is reacting far too much on the state of my nerves. I think I will ask my doc if I could include a beta blocker (combo with ARB). But I am a bit affraid that it can cause ED problems etc.. which I don´t have now. If it wasn´t for these kinds of side effects I think a beta blocker would be more accurate due to my anxienty etc..

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/10/27/42197.aspx

does your BP increase a lot during daily stressful situations? If it does you may want to explore other medication options. Mine i have checked several times under stressful situations (ex: at work, after having an argument with my wife :D etc) and it goes up a bit (130/80 ish) but never gets even close to the BP readings i get in my doctors office or while trying to donate blood. If i were you i would make sure that your BP is ok under "normal" daily life stressful situations and go from there. A lot of BP medications can be used in combination with others so worth checking with your doctor

HealthMan

Had to donate blood again today and i barely made it even using propanolol. I am tired of this... my BP at home is normal and even at the doctors office lately... but when it is time to donate blood... way too high... and as soon as i get home back to normal!
I have an appointment with my GP this week i will try to find other options. Propanolol works great to reduce my heart rate but for the blood pressure it has been tough. I will update here what he says.

Why is high blood pressure a contraindication for blood donation? I did some quick googling but didn't find a good answer. To me, it makes more sense that you shouldn't be able to donate blood if your blood pressure is too low. Is it because decreasing blood volume in a hypertensive patient results in increased cardiac output?

Why is high blood pressure a contraindication for blood donation? I did some quick googling but didn't find a good answer. To me, it makes more sense that you shouldn't be able to donate blood if your blood pressure is too low. Is it because decreasing blood volume in a hypertensive patient results in increased cardiac output?

It is mostly just CYA general protocol for the donation center as they don't have an upper level medical practitioner present to make diagnostic decisions. Ironically blood donation is actually a fairly effective way to reduce high blood pressure for a patient with erythrocytosis. In some ways it is analogous to the in-patient setting where often the psychiatric floor will not accept a patient for admission if their BP is above a certain threshold (although they actually do have practitioners present)...I recall this latter point being a frequent frustration during residency.

It is mostly just CYA general protocol for the donation center as they don't have an upper level medical practitioner present to make diagnostic decisions. Ironically blood donation is actually a fairly effective way to reduce high blood pressure for a patient with erythrocytosis. In some ways it is analogous to the in-patient setting where often the psychiatric floor will not accept a patient for admission if their BP is above a certain threshold (although they actually do have practitioners present)...I recall this latter point being a frequent frustration during residency.

Thanks for the quick reply, Dr Saya. I knew that blood donations could have therapeutic (ie therapeutic phlebotomy) effects on BP when patients suffer from increased blood volume/hematocrit, but I thought maybe there was some exception for patients with high BP caused by other factors. It makes sense that it's just a standard clinical practice in the absence of a practitioner. I've never been able to donate blood because I'm either a thalassemia minor or trait carrier (no doctor has ever been able to give me a definitive answer, but my MCV is garbage and hemo is always below 13).

50mg of Metoprolol XL the day prior and the day of my last donation had my pulse @ 85 and I normally trip @ 99 when I present for donation. My BP is good enough for them that I don't really have a problem there, just my pulse. They've tossed me out over 1bpm when I tested @ 101. 100 is their cutoff. But the sexual sides of this beta blocker prevent me from using it daily. I think Kyolic garlic supplements helped my BP a little bit.

HealthMan

50mg of Metoprolol XL the day prior and the day of my last donation had my pulse @ 85 and I normally trip @ 99 when I present for donation. My BP is good enough for them that I don't really have a problem there, just my pulse. They've tossed me out over 1bpm when I tested @ 101. 100 is their cutoff. But the sexual sides of this beta blocker prevent me from using it daily. I think Kyolic garlic supplements helped my BP a little bit.

Tks! I have tried everything in terms of supplements but nothing works for the white coat syndrome. Metoprolol or propanolol work great for heart rate but not enough for BP. My BP today was 140/102 then aftet relaxing a bit i barely made it. My BP at home runs around 115/70 lately. Wondering if adding a calcium channel blocker or something else can do the trick (use only when donating blood). Lets see what my GP says

My blood bank told me something ridiculously high so I dont worry about mine anymore I'd swear that they said >150 systolic before they;d reject on that factor alone.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me