Rejected from blood donation because of white coat syndrome

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Ramrod

I've been on amlodipine for over a year. It was working then the Dr. added a Water pill. Seemed to help a little then stopped. So now we upped the amlodipine dose.

I was on Lisinopril but before I was on TRT my GP took me off this b/c he found a link somewhere it lowered T levels. So that was his first step to bring my T levels up. I think he just didn't want to put me on TRT..imo

HealthMan

Ok. Went this morning again and BP was 160/120 and HR 99 then 110. I told the nurse about my condition (white coat syndrome) and she was very nice and let me relax for 10min. After that my BP was 140/85 (still high but low enought to donate blood)... This am my BP was 125/72 and HR 72. I dont want to go through this every single time i donate blood or visit a doctor. So i will ask my physician for propranolol. Maybe it is even a good idea to take it daily given my BP reacts like with anxiety.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I would not take propanolol daily since it can affect your erections. Just as needed. Great for performing in front of people if you have social anxiety or stage fright. I have only taken it one time since I actually like speaking in front of crowds (I took it for my immigration interview since they give me the creeps). I hear some of the best actors and speakers take it.

It is not a DEA scheduled drug, so it is not hard to get a doctor to prescribe.

HealthMan

I would not take propanolol daily since it can affect your erections. Just as needed. Great for performing in front of people if you have social anxiety or stage fright. I have only taken it one time since I actually like speaking in front of crowds (I took it for my immigration interview since they give me the creeps). I hear some of the best actors and speakers take it.

It is not a DEA scheduled drug, so it is not hard to get a doctor to prescribe.

tks once again Nelson! I will ask dr Saya

Nelson is correct - I used low dose propranolol for my Valedictorian speech, as I was young and quite nervous, it worked very well to control the "fight or flight" symptoms and allow for a good speech. I've also prescribed it for "as needed" use for patients for similar situations/circumstances. Nelson is also correct that it isn't adviseable to take daily/longterm for BP (in most cases) as there are other more tolerable (less side effect) options.

HealthMan - we can certainly discuss next time we chat. Congrats on getting the blood donation completed. Isn't it interesting the impact simple breathing and calming down can have on BP!

HealthMan

Nelson is correct - I used low dose propranolol for my Valedictorian speech, as I was young and quite nervous, it worked very well to control the "fight or flight" symptoms and allow for a good speech. I've also prescribed it for "as needed" use for patients for similar situations/circumstances. Nelson is also correct that it isn't adviseable to take daily/longterm for BP (in most cases) as there are other more tolerable (less side effect) options.

HealthMan - we can certainly discuss next time we chat. Congrats on getting the blood donation completed. Isn't it interesting the impact simple breathing and calming down can have on BP!
Indeed! I am coming back next week to donate plateles since they asked they are in need. Hopefully i can control my anxiety! Speak to you soon Dr Saya

Fireproof

I just want to say again how awesome this forum is. I'm always learning new things even tangentially or not even related to TRT. And also very cool to have Dr. Saya such an active participant to help in all of these discussions. I'm continually impressed with the depth of his knowledge and experience. Wish I could find a local PCP who was as knowledgable. (Of course - with the stupid state of insurance these days - even if I found one - I'd likely lose him in 12 months when I get the notice that "my plan is no longer available"...for the 4th time in a row.)

Sorry for the off-topic...but keep up the great discussions and thanks to all who contribute.

HealthMan

Indeed Fireproof! Just to add here my BP, triglycerides, cholesterol all improved after starting TRT. My BP this morning was 110/70 with a 64 pulse. However i still have white coat syndrome which causes me a lot of headaches. Where i work they do an annual health screening and my BP is always very high and i have to explain everything over and over again. I was planning to buy a term life insurance but i also put that on hold because of this. And the last event was being denied to donate blood. It is very frustrating because i know my BP at home is just fine but when doctors or nurses measure my BP and see that high number they always look at me suspicious of my white coat syndrome explanation... Very sad. I was lucky that the last blood center i went to the staff there was very very nice and understood my condition and did everything possible to calm me down so that my BP would lower and i could donate blood. The day before i went to a red cross blood drive and the lady there wasn't helpful. I told her about my condition after the first reading was high but she said there was nothing she could do.
Dr Saya and Nelson have been very helpful in this journey that TRT has been for me. I feel so much better after starting TRT and all health marks improved as well.

HealthMan

Nothing decreases blood pressure and "stage fright' (or white coat syndrome) better than a beta blocker. Ask your doc for propanolol

just tried to donate platelets. Took 20mg propranolol 1 hour 30min before it lowered my heart rate but BP 140/100 so i wasnt able to donate again. Very frustrating!
just got home and measured my BP. 117/69 and pulse 64. Not sure what to do to control my white coat syndrome

Last edited:

HealthMan

After 3-4 hours of taking propranolol my heart rate is much lower than when i measured 1:30h after taking it. I guess max plasma concentration takes longer and maybe next time i need to take it at least 3-4 hours before donating. Maybe this should do the trick. Anyways last time without propranolol my first BP reading was north of 160/120 this time it was 140/100 and would probably be much lower measuring a second time (as it usually is)

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
After 3-4 hours of taking propranolol my heart rate is much lower than when i measured 1:30h after taking it. I guess max plasma concentration takes longer and maybe next time i need to take it at least 3-4 hours before donating. Maybe this should do the trick. Anyways last time without propranolol my first BP reading was north of 160/120 this time it was 140/100 and would probably be much lower measuring a second time (as it usually is)

Here are two PK graphs for propanolol. Message: Eat, take it and go there 2-4 hours later.

propanololPK.jpg

propanolol fasted vs fed.jpg

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale