Should I Donate? Confusing Results

Buy Lab Tests Online

johann

What do you consider low ferritin?

I'm having problem with my Iron, as I have Hemochromatosis but my ferritin is at the low end but high iron and high saturation.

Johann.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

johann

This is so confusing.
Like I said I have Hemochromatosis and my
Ferritin is 39
Iron 186 (59-158) HIGH
TIBC 292 (250-425)
Iron Sat 64% (20-50) HIGH
Transferrin 205 (200-360)

I dont know if I should donate or not, getting a new Hematologist that I will see 2 of Sep.

I too have low ferritin, much lower than yours, but my serum iron is mid-range. I've only had two ferritin tests and both are in the teens, the seocnd was after daily supplementing 62mg elemental iron and Vitamin C. But my HGB and RBC is still high, too. I'm havig trouble understanding the connection or if it's really anything to worry about at all. I did infact donate two weeks ago, at the finger stick it something like 17 or 18, getting close to the blood banks limits. I asked is that "iron", she replied "yes"...so....????

Maybe Dr. Saya will respond to this one. Would like to know his opinion here...

Paging Dr. Saya!

Would really need to know Johann's Hemoglobin and Hematocrit to determine if he should donate or not. Hemochromatosis is, virtually by definition, an excess of iron in the body - so elevated iron in the presence of hemochromatosis is not surprising. However, an elevated hemoglobin and/or hematocrit would make the case stronger for the need to donate blood as it needs to be counter-balanced by the need to try to not drive ferritin into the ground.

Vince - the phlebotomists ALWAYS call it "iron" when they do the finger-stick test (I was just discussing this with a patient yesterday), but it is actually hemoglobin they are checking (an iron composed element of red blood cells)...they are not however checking the ACTUAL serum iron level.

meanbreen

This is so confusing.
Like I said I have Hemochromatosis and my
Ferritin is 39
Iron 186 (59-158) HIGH
TIBC 292 (250-425)
Iron Sat 64% (20-50) HIGH
Transferrin 205 (200-360)

I dont know if I should donate or not, getting a new Hematologist that I will see 2 of Sep.
I just received similar results. Iron OVER 200, Sat at 62%. Ferritin a little over 100 though. HGB at 15 so that doesn't scream ‘donate!' Might I have this disorder? I meet with Defy in two weeks but curious for responses.

HealthMan

I just received similar results. Iron OVER 200, Sat at 62%. Ferritin a little over 100 though. HGB at 15 so that doesn’t scream ‘donate!’ Might I have this disorder? I meet with Defy in two weeks but curious for responses.
Check my post on the BLOOD WORK discussion part of this forum. In classic hematochromatosis your ferritin would be high (are you donating blood often?).

meanbreen

Thanks for pointing me to that. We are in similar positions but mine isnt as serious. My ferritin is over 100 and my HBG is at 15 so never donated. Scary that your satu is at 85%, hopefully you get that figured out. Definitely very serious.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me