Creatine and water retention

Buy Lab Tests Online

fmalianos

So ten years ago when I was in my early twenties, there were a few times i took creatine but stopped taking because someone told me it's very bad for the body or "thins your blood". I loved the feeling it would give me while working out(especially when taking one I had bought from Germany on eBay)

My question is...anyone know if it's bad at all or was I misinformed? And is it ok while on TRT? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

CoastWatcher

So ten years ago when I was in my early twenties, there were a few times i took creatine but stopped taking because someone told me it's very bad for the body or "thins your blood". I loved the feeling it would give me while working out(especially when taking one I had bought from Germany on eBay)

My question is...anyone know if it's bad at all or was I misinformed? And is it ok while on TRT? Thanks

https://www.excelmale.com/forum/sho...improves-brain-performance&highlight=Creatine

You were misinformed. What does "thin your blood" mean in this context?

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
I take about 5 grams of creatine monohydrate daily. Another benefit is it helps raise DHT and of course it helps build muscle.

Creatine is one the most studied, researched and used OTC supplements on the market, it's completely safe. I use it 4 days a week in the gym, up to 5g dosing. Re: DHT, that's not a bad thing, DHT is not a bad hormone but it does require some management and testing, monitoring the prostate via PSA, as well as your hair. If you're otherwise "healthy" in those areas DHT is a wonderful thing. But quite honestly, Creatine isn't likely to raise your DHT of any significance but that's my opinion.

fmalianos

Creatine is one the most studied, researched and used OTC supplements on the market, it's completely safe. I use it 4 days a week in the gym, up to 5g dosing. Re: DHT, that's not a bad thing, DHT is not a bad hormone but it does require some management and testing, monitoring the prostate via PSA, as well as your hair. If you're otherwise "healthy" in those areas DHT is a wonderful thing. But quite honestly, Creatine isn't likely to raise your DHT of any significance but that's my opinion.

Thanks for your help :)

fmalianos

Vince, I take anastrozole...I forgot to ask if you know if anastrozole affects creatine at all as you know there is a water retention situation for both things. As we know creatine fills your muscles with water. I'm thinking there shouldn't be any issues right? Maybe the water retention that is produced by high estrogen levels is not the same from the water being filled in the muscles? Have you read anything about this? Thanks

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Vince, I take anastrozole...I forgot to ask if you know if anastrozole affects creatine at all as you know there is a water retention situation for both things. As we know creatine fills your muscles with water. I'm thinking there shouldn't be any issues right? Maybe the water retention that is produced by high estrogen levels is not the same from the water being filled in the muscles? Have you read anything about this? Thanks

You are right. Creatine increases intracellular water and this has nothing to do with estradiol.
Creatine Supplementation Increases Total Body Water Without Altering Fluid Distribution

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Creatine seems to increase the conversion of testosterone to DHT.

Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine:
September 2009 - Volume 19 - Issue 5 - pp 399-404
doi: 10.1097/JSM.0b013e3181b8b52f

Original Research

Three Weeks of Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation Affects Dihydrotestosterone to Testosterone Ratio in College-Aged Rugby Players

Abstract

Objective: This study investigated resting concentrations of selected androgens after 3 weeks of creatine supplementation in male rugby players. It was hypothesized that the ratio of dihydrotestosterone (DHT, a biologically more active androgen) to testosterone (T) would change with creatine supplementation.

Design: Double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study with a 6-week washout period.

Setting: Rugby Institute in South Africa.

Participants: College-aged rugby players (n = 20) volunteered for the study, which took place during the competitive season.

Interventions: Subjects loaded with creatine (25 g/day creatine with 25 g/day glucose) or placebo (50 g/day glucose) for 7 days followed by 14 days of maintenance (5 g/day creatine with 25 g/day glucose or 30 g/day glucose placebo).

Main Outcome Measures: Serum T and DHT were measured and ratio calculated at baseline and after 7 days and 21 days of creatine supplementation (or placebo). Body composition measurements were taken at each time point.

Results: After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001). The ratio of DHT:T also increased by 36% after 7 days creatine supplementation and remained elevated by 22% after the maintenance dose (P < 0.01).

Conclusions: Creatine supplementation may, in part, act through an increased rate of conversion of T to DHT. Further investigation is warranted as a result of the high frequency of individuals using creatine supplementation and the long-term safety of alterations in circulating androgen composition.

Statement of Clinical Relevance: Although creatine is a widely used ergogenic aid, the mechanisms of action are incompletely understood, particularly in relation to dihydrotestosterone, and therefore the long-term clinical safety cannot be guaranteed.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me